Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2016 Draw & Group D discussion thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 187188189
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by ronnyronaldc ronnyronaldc wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by Ruel Fox Ruel Fox wrote:

haha!. 1 nil Hungary.Screamer from a guy on his debut!. Glad we didnt get Hungary they would have killed us!.(joke).

And had a great chance to go 2-0 in front there at the end of the first half.

Who knows, maybe we dodged a bullet with the Hungarians. We would have been favourites to beat them, which is something we're never comfortable with, whereas the Bosnians are favourites to beat us, which is the role that always suits us,

Ok which teams did you beat in official matches (not friendlies) that were favourites against you in like the last 3 years?

I see only Germany at home (who struggled the whole cyclus also vs Scotland, Poland and even Georgia) but thats it.

You beat these teams in qualifying cycles the last 3 years: Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan, Georgia (2x), Gibraltar (2x) and Germany.

Basically you beat "a" favourite Germany once and lost to these teams in qualifying cycles the last 3 years: Sweden, Austria, Germany, Scotland, Poland.

Basically the facts show that its the other way around, you beat minnow teams but you basically never beat a top team although there are exceptions like the Germany match lately which happens once in 10 years.
We haven't beaten anybody in a friendly either. This chap is the most optimistic/delusional Ireland fan I've ever seen.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sponsored Links

ronnyronaldc View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnyronaldc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 11:37pm

Originally posted by Ruel Fox Ruel Fox wrote:

haha!. 1 nil Hungary.Screamer from a guy on his debut!. Glad we didnt get Hungary they would have killed us!.(joke).

And had a great chance to go 2-0 in front there at the end of the first half.

Who knows, maybe we dodged a bullet with the Hungarians. We would have been favourites to beat them, which is something we're never comfortable with, whereas the Bosnians are favourites to beat us, which is the role that always suits us,

Ok which teams did you beat in official matches (not friendlies) that were favourites against you in like the last 3 years?

I see only Germany at home (who struggled the whole cyclus also vs Scotland, Poland and even Georgia) but thats it.

You beat these teams in qualifying cycles the last 3 years: Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan, Georgia (2x), Gibraltar (2x) and Germany.

Basically you beat "a" favourite Germany once and lost to these teams in qualifying cycles the last 3 years: Sweden, Austria, Germany, Scotland, Poland.

Basically the facts show that its the other way around, you beat minnow teams but you basically never beat a top team although there are exceptions like the Germany match lately which happens once in 10 years.

Well a win over Bosnia tomorrow night certainly wouldn't count as a victory over a top team I can assure you. I would rate that on a par with beating someone like Slovakia or Slovenia.

Funny thing is that we end up in front of Slovakia last qualifying cycle beating them 2-1 in Slovakia (although losing 1-0 at home) and we also beat them before that I believe in 2010 3-2 in Slovakia.

Ow and I don't think we ever lost to Slovenia last time around (2012) we beat them 3-0 in Slovenia.

Also funny I believe that you rated Ukraine higher than Bosnia eventhough Ukraine ended up behind Slovakia (who ended behind us for the WC 2014 cycle and lost 2/3 matches vs us), they have a lower marketvalue than Bosnia and they have lower coefficientpoints than Bosnia (who will be pot 2 if they go to the Euros).

Bosnia's first XI is about Switzerland/Poland level while Irelands first XI is about Slovenia level.
Nice try to troll though but that won't succeed, maybe if you get a good result tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it will be a comfortable 2 goals difference win, hopefully 2-0 but otherwise 3-1 if Begovic makes a mistake like he did already once for Chelsea and twice for Bosnia this season.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 12:02am

Funny thing is that we end up in front of Slovakia last qualifying cycle beating them 2-1 in Slovakia (although losing 1-0 at home) and we also beat them before that I believe in 2010 3-2 in Slovakia.

Ow and I don't think we ever lost to Slovenia last time around (2012) we beat them 3-0 in Slovenia.

Also funny I believe that you rated Ukraine higher than Bosnia eventhough Ukraine ended up behind Slovakia (who ended behind us for the WC 2014 cycle and lost 2/3 matches vs us), they have a lower marketvalue than Bosnia and they have lower coefficientpoints than Bosnia (who will be pot 2 if they go to the Euros).

Bosnia's first XI is about Switzerland/Poland level while Irelands first XI is about Slovenia level.
Nice try to troll though but that won't succeed, maybe if you get a good result tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it will be a comfortable 2 goals difference win, hopefully 2-0 but otherwise 3-1 if Begovic makes a mistake like he did already once for Chelsea and twice for Bosnia this season.

I'd actually be slightly more concerned about Slovenia in a play this week than Bosnia. Their results weren't overly impressive in their group but they are a solid team unit, and interestingly have won three play offs out of four, which is a phenomenal achievement.

Not sure how many people would agree with you that Bosnia are on a par with Poland. The Poles have Lewandowski who has scored 19 goals for Bayern Munich this season and Bosnia have Dzeko who has scored 3 goals for Roma. The Poles also have players like Milik of Ajax who has already scored 9 goals for them at the age of twenty.
ronnyronaldc View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnyronaldc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 11:14am

I'd actually be slightly more concerned about Slovenia in a play this week than Bosnia. Their results weren't overly impressive in their group but they are a solid team unit, and interestingly have won three play offs out of four, which is a phenomenal achievement.

Not sure how many people would agree with you that Bosnia are on a par with Poland. The Poles have Lewandowski who has scored 19 goals for Bayern Munich this season and Bosnia have Dzeko who has scored 3 goals for Roma. The Poles also have players like Milik of Ajax who has already scored 9 goals for them at the age of twenty.

Again Bosnia proved to be (clearly) better than Slovakia no trolling about that anymore.

I am aware that Lewandowski is better than Dzeko lol everyone knows that.
Dzeko f**ked up by having such a bad agent.
His money-hunger agent Irfan Redzepagic didn't want to sell him to Bayern because he would get less transfermoney so he instead sold him to Manchester City and he became a figurant there (although he scored every season atleast 12/13 goals as a sub and in 2013/2014 he scored 16 BPL goals as a sub thats amazing).

So in stead of being kind of what Lewandowski is today he became a back up for someone who had simply even more talent (Aguero) and didnt develop or well actually he did but in a bad way he became slower, more static and basically only improved his headers. At Wolfsburg he had decent pace, decent dribbling, amazing shot (way better than now) and good finishing. He couldve been top 5 strikers in the world nowadays if he went to Bayern.

Anyway, Dzeko has showed more for Bosnia than Lewandowski has for Poland, Dzeko he has a way better goalscoring ratio and if it wasnt for having Gibraltar in the group Lewandowski would still have a pretty bad goalscoring ratio. Dzeko for the Bosnian NT is like worldclass level, you shouldnt take into account his AS Roma statistics this season instead just watch at his statistics or even current statistics at the NT and it will show you he is more likely to score than Lewandowski was against you.

Milik lol I am a fan of him you know, I live in the Netherlands and I am a fan of Ajax but scoring 9 goals in the Eredivisie does not mean much to me but I don't know how high foreigners rate the Eredivisie so no idea what kind of image you have at that. I can tell you its probably not even top 15 leagues in Europa if we talk about defending there have been so many sh*tty players from Belgium being bad there coming to the Eredivisie and becoming topscorer here. Also Ajax is such a low level at the moment we lost at home 3-2 vs Rapid Wien and got KO'ed in the CL preliminaries, then we barely beat Jablonec in the EL play off round (in which they missed a penalty) and now we have 0 wins in 4 matches in the groupstage and we are 80% certain knocked out in the groupstage already. Other teams except for PSV don't do much better, people in the Netherlands are happy when we have 1 team in the KO stage of the Europa League ow and next year we will be 16th on the coefficientranking meaning we will most likely lose that automatic CL spot which means PSV or Ajax will have to play teams like NK Maribor, Maccabi Tel Aviv and APOEL Nicosia to get to the CL groupstage.

Anyway, Milik is a nice player, he has a good left foot (he has like no right foot though), good volleys, good finishing but he wouldnt start for any BPL team I think, he would start for a topteam in the Championship I guess, don't know how high you rated him.

Bosnia is beter at gk position (normally), centreback positions, better at lb, better at Pjanics position, better at leftwing position (Lulic) and Dzeko and Lewandowski are about equal in international matches.

No idea why you rate Poland higher, they had about the same team in 2012 and ended last in the group in their own country lol and other than that they qualify for the first time since 2008 I believe? While Bosnia qualified for the WC 2014 and lost twice in playoffs vs Portugal for the EC2012 and WC2010.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 12:39pm
Poland have definitely improved in the last two years. They looked a very average side at Euro 2012 and won only three matches in WC 2014 qualifying. Something has clicked into place and all of a sudden they have self belief and confidence and are winning matches.

I've a sneaking suspicion Bosnia have gone backwards from where they were two years ago, just a theory mind you. They were impressive in qualifying for the World Cup (in a very weak group it has to be said). But at the tournament and since then, something doesn't right. Their form looks unimpressive and they seem to have slipped back into being a fairly decent third tier team, but a long way off the top tier sides. 

I'm not buying the idea that they have seen a huge revival under Bazdarevic and are now as strong as they were two or three years ago. I guess all of this will be answered in the next few days. If Bosnia have a very impressive play off win, my theory will be proven to be incorrect. If they fail to qualify, it's going to raise a lot of questions about the state of the national team.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 2:25pm
Bosnia beat Cyprus 3-2 in the last game, it was 2-2 at one stage. Now Cyprus are an improved side...

Anyone watch that game? 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
ObserwatorPZPN View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ObserwatorPZPN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 7:28pm
At the time of Euro 2012 we had the worst FA boss ever- Grzegorz Lato, who was w great player but horrible ***t of a FA CEO- no qualification whatsover: primary education, no foreign languages, no basic knowledge about business he got into (f.e. he is responsible for removing white eagle crest from our shirts back then causing absolute outrage amongs the nation) To make this misery even worse he made his pal Franciszek Smuda a coach of national team. Another guy who couldn`t properly speak Polish. An idiot. Succesful with club sides completly misread national football and achieved nothing. In those circumstances we simply couldn`t make an impact in continental football.
Since then a big change in quality of people who run our football. Boniek is a class guy with connections in world and european football. Coach Nawałka is a completely diferent class than his last two predecessors. We got players who are regulars in good europe sides and that was all of a sudden enough to qualify for the Euros in very cometetive group. Still lot to improve though.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 9:44pm
Where's that Ronald McRonny fella?
musicinmouth View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicinmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 9:10am
When you consider that a 2nd place finish isn't guaranteed a play-off spot, it really does show you how important it is to try to win the group. Also, with the teams in our group likely to take lots of points off each other, there is a higher possibility that the 2nd placed team in our group may be the one to lose out.

However, I think the only group I'd prefer to be in is Belgium's (Bosnia, Greece, Estonia, Cyprus).

Anyway, happy to have France first - and not particularly excited at the thought of a World Cup in Russia. Any news on whether Netherlands will participate if they qualify?  
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:30pm
RTE Player has the full coverage of all campaign qualifiers up on the website Thumbs Up

Will have to see McGeady's goal in Georgia in HD again Cool

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Forza2 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forza2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Forza2 Forza2 wrote:

Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

Originally posted by Forza2 Forza2 wrote:

Poland will play only better and better in most  forthcoming games. We have a proper TEAM spirit only now; had tested some 80!! players in all friendlies leading to qualifiers.
I wouldn't be surprised if we take another point from Germany away.
As for games against Scotland (away) - can't see loosing that one, too-- 1 point minimum
Ireland? We would take 3 in Dublin and 1 at home.
Georgia - 6 points.
Gibraltar - plus 3

the 3rd place wide open

What next, World domination?

no, just quarterfinal in France

(...)
Quote no, just quarterfinal in France 
because "you are not one of us"
ObserwatorPZPN View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ObserwatorPZPN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 5:21pm
:)
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by ObserwatorPZPN ObserwatorPZPN wrote:

:)

It turned out to be a fine group : all three teams got through to the last 16 and now one into the quarter finals Smile
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 11:51am
Wes Hoolahan's third goal, James McClean's 40th cap, and the strange record that Stephen Ward and Shane Duffy share in the Republic of Ireland Euro 2016 Report: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=2586444801977158654
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 1:38pm
Shane Long made his 29th start in his 65th cap for Ireland

This shocked me thought he has started a lot more then 29 :-o
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 2:27pm
Euro 2016 Blog Part 3 - Bordeauxing On The Ridiculous, or The Dark Nightbus Of The Soul: http://tetsujin1979.blogspot.ie/2016/06/euro-2016-bordeuxing-on-ridiculous-or.html
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 187188189
  Share Topic