FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedshaybo sicknote

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Topic: shaybo sicknote
    Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 7:29am
shay not happy with his new nickname around the toon..

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/given-sick-of-new-nickname-1450820.html

Given sick of new nickname

By George Caulkin

Saturday August 09 2008

DRESSING ROOMS can be pitiless places and, much to his own discomfort, Shay Given has earned a new nickname from his Newcastle United team-mates.

Once famed for his powers of recovery, the Ireland goalkeeper's past two seasons have been defined by injury and inactivity. "I was known as 'Lazarus' before," he said. "They call me 'Sicknote' now."

The wince that accompanied Given's remark was one of embarrassment, not pain.

Having worked through the summer to rebuild his fitness -- spending three weeks straining and sweating in Spain in the company of a club physio -- the 32-year-old is "touching wood" that his problems have been banished. What happens next is beyond his control.

While Kevin Keegan's squad is hardly bulging with players, the goalkeeping department ranks as the exception. When Given damaged his groin at Old Trafford in February -- he underwent two operations -- he was replaced by Steve Harper, whose talent and dedication warrant far more than understudy status.

Dilemma

Away to Manchester United a week tomorrow, the manager will face at least one dilemma over team selection.

Given's trauma began on September 17, 2006 at Upton Park, when he suffered a one-centimetre tear in his bowel, more common to car-crash victims than footballers.

"I hope the injury situation is all over with now," he said. "I felt like I had to work through the summer this year. I just wanted to get myself firing for the start of the season.

"It's been really frustrating over the last couple of years. It stemmed from the challenge at West Ham and it's been stop-start for me since, especially considering that before that, I barely missed a game. It's been difficult to get my head round, but you have to do that. I've just turned 32, which in goalkeeping terms is still quite young, so I'm hoping that my best years are ahead of me."

Given has had no indication about Keegan's intentions, but while his own circumstances are uncertain, he is adamant about the manager's credentials. He also has concerns at a lack of additions in the transfer market.

Charisma

"Kevin's absolutely the right man for this club," Given said. "It's his club, he knows it and the supporters inside out, but he needs to be given the right backing to get the players in as well. He has that charisma and aura which gives the players a huge lift when he speaks in the changing-room, but he hasn't got a magic wand, either, and he does need the backing of the club to get the players in.

"When he came to the club, we were in big trouble. Now he wants to bring in some of his own players, who will strengthen us. We've only brought in a couple so far, so hopefully there will be a few more. I do feel that we need to strengthen the squad a bit more, because it is too small."

Some reassurance in that regard arrived yesterday when owner Mike Ashley detailed his vision for Newcastle in a new club magazine. "If the deal is right -- and that means it's the right player who Kevin wants -- then we will do that deal," Ashley said. "Kevin inherited, by Premier League standards, a relatively small squad and we have to build that up." (© The Times, London)

- George Caulkin

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic