You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why are England players so hyped and expensive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absolutely Use Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are England players so hyped and expensive
    Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 4:59pm
Young England players are so over hyped and over valued, £20 million for Henderson, £16 for Jones, Ashley Young, Chris Smalling and £25m for Jack Rodwell. And what is Jack Wilshire value £35m? These players are good but the value is just so over valued, just case they are English
Say nothing till you hear more
Sponsored Links

Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 5:01pm
Since when is Rodwell worth 25??
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
Emerald View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 5:17pm
English clubs know the extent to which the EPL is awash with cash, hence these over-valuations. Clubs abroad, while knowing of the riches of the EPL, don't seem to realise the full extent of it. They put their valuation on a player for whatever club in whatever country who wants to buy him, and that valuation will nearly always be less than it would have been in England. It's just market economics in the end.

Absolutely Use View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absolutely Use Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Vivakenbarlow Vivakenbarlow wrote:

Since when is Rodwell worth 25??
I don't believe he is but its in the Sunday papers
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 5:42pm
SKY SPORTS!!!
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
kelvin View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 8:36pm
The craziest valuation I've seen is £15m for Scott Dann. Not, fair enough, he's a good defender but that's it! He's not shown anything outstanding this season. He only started to get mentioned once Birmingham started to go downhill and they needed an excuse.

Clubs are paying £15m for 'decent' players and it's a disgrace. I'd rate him around £7m/£8m, especially since Birmingham got relegated.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:50am
The home grown rule is the major reason for the massive price increases in unproven English players like Henderson and Jones

Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 5:54am
The Home Grown Rule is obvioulsy why a 7/10 England midfielder would sell for a higher price in England than a 7/10 Spanish midfielder.

Plus when you invest in a young English player, you are investing in a long-term deal.  EG If Man United were to buy a young Spanish player for 12million the chances are that young fella would fancy a move back to his homeland in a few years time.  But if you bought an English guy to play within the English league then the chances of him fancying a move out of England and therefore out of your club is minimial - shis value (even if he is of a similar level to the Spanish guy is worth more than 12mill). It makes sense that English players going to English clubs are going to cost a lot more - it's as simple as the fact that they are much more valuable to the buying club.
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

The Home Grown Rule is obvioulsy why a 7/10 England midfielder would sell for a higher price in England than a 7/10 Spanish midfielder.

Plus when you invest in a young English player, you are investing in a long-term deal.  EG If Man United were to buy a young Spanish player for 12million the chances are that young fella would fancy a move back to his homeland in a few years time.  But if you bought an English guy to play within the English league then the chances of him fancying a move out of England and therefore out of your club is minimial - shis value (even if he is of a similar level to the Spanish guy is worth more than 12mill). It makes sense that English players going to English clubs are going to cost a lot more - it's as simple as the fact that they are much more valuable to the buying club.
Ya that is true , add to that the fact that the selling club probably don't need to sell, unless the price is right, to keep their own accountant happy and more often than not a player at that age is happy enough to stay for another year or two. Comparisons between players by both club owners and the media push prices up too. For example if Jones and Henderson are 15-20 million pound players, Jack Wilshere is a 35 -40 million pound player. I don't agree with that but you can see the logic..
kelvin View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 7:04am
The Home Grown rule is probably the main contributor but even before this, English players were always more expensive. Remember Franny Jeffers? £8m for him was a huge fee at the time and that gamble didn't pay off. Even the £25m+ that Utd paid for Rooney was considered over the top at the time.

It's nothing new. There's another factor involved, in that clubs have to pay a higher tax rate on English players (maybe players within England) than overseas. Read an interesting piece on this but can't for the life of me track it down now.

South America is arguably just as bad value when buying youngsters. Any young player who has any sort of bright spell in SA is picked off for HUGE fees. It's commonplace to see them moving for £15m+ but they don't get as much publicity. It's different mentality there though because the clubs are forced to hike the prices as it's their main source of income.

By all account the £10.5m being quoted for Leandro Damaio is crazy. He's played brilliant recently but mostly in the state championship which is of much poorer quality to other competitions in South America. And up until this run he's not grabbed anyone's attention.

It's not unique to English football/players although it probably is the extreme. I don't blame media for it because the managers should be able to look past that and see a player for what he really is.
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 7:27am
Originally posted by kelvin kelvin wrote:

The Home Grown rule is probably the main contributor but even before this, English players were always more expensive. Remember Franny Jeffers? £8m for him was a huge fee at the time and that gamble didn't pay off. Even the £25m+ that Utd paid for Rooney was considered over the top at the time.

It's nothing new. There's another factor involved, in that clubs have to pay a higher tax rate on English players (maybe players within England) than overseas. Read an interesting piece on this but can't for the life of me track it down now.

South America is arguably just as bad value when buying youngsters. Any young player who has any sort of bright spell in SA is picked off for HUGE fees. It's commonplace to see them moving for £15m+ but they don't get as much publicity. It's different mentality there though because the clubs are forced to hike the prices as it's their main source of income.

By all account the £10.5m being quoted for Leandro Damaio is crazy. He's played brilliant recently but mostly in the state championship which is of much poorer quality to other competitions in South America. And up until this run he's not grabbed anyone's attention.

It's not unique to English football/players although it probably is the extreme. I don't blame media for it because the managers should be able to look past that and see a player for what he really is.
Would be interested to see anything about the higher tax rate, not come across it before. The South American argument is definitely valid, Brazil were capping loads of players inthe mid to late nineties to push up their transfer fees in a 'secret' deal between the CBF and the clubs to reduce their financial difficulties. Remember Rafael Scheidt?He captained Brazil during this period!! As for the part in bold, all I can think of is 'Arry Redknapp
kelvin View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

As for the part in bold, all I can think of is 'Arry Redknapp

Very true! Which is one reason why I'm not his biggest fan.
Absolutely Use View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absolutely Use Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:45pm
Liverpool have spend £55 million on 2 young english players, Andy Carroll and Jordan Henderson. What would these players have cost if they were signed this time last year? A fraction of £55m I bet
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 5:08pm
z

Edited by fear-glas - 19 Nov 2020 at 11:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic