You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One that got away

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wearside Bhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One that got away
    Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 6:24pm
Reading boss Brian McDermott in this weeks Irish Post " My mums from Clare  and my dads from Sligo. Looking back everyhing about me feels Irish my upbringing all my friends I have a massive regret of not having the chance to play for Ireland."

Edited by Wearside Bhoy - 25 Mar 2011 at 6:26pm
TJ Doyles,Sunderland probably the best Irish pub in the world.
Sponsored Links

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 9:03pm
Saw somewhere during the week that Mike Phelan (Man U assistant manager) also wanted to play for us (think he was referring to his Norwich days) but no approach was ever made, so he settled on his second choice, England, for whom he gained one cap. I suppose when Mike was at his best, we had Townsend, Whelan, Houghton, Sheedy, McGrath (occasional midfielder) Brady would have still been around til 88, we werent exactly short of options.

Still, his Norwich/Man U career was nearly directly parallel to Jack Charltons managment of Ireland, think he would have been the sort of fella Jack would have liked.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 4:42am
phelan would have got some caps, but we had a fine midfield under jack so competition was fierce
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 12:32pm
rom http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...y__Part_three/

“I did have the opportunity to be with Ireland through parentage, but they didn’t want me. My dad was Irish and part of me wanted to be Irish. But when you put yourself forward and nobody takes it on board or picks you, what are you supposed to do? Ireland’s loss might have been England’s gain, I don’t know, but I certainly played on the international scene, which was what I wanted to do. England came along, I got the opportunity to be involved with six or seven squads leading up to the World Cup and then I got the game against Italy. When it came down to the World Cup I was outside the 22 but I was glad that I had the opportunity. When it happened there was definitely a sense of achievement. For that one or two seasons I was part of something good.”

Nice to hear these Anglo born lads say their preference was to play for Ireland over England, ala Killer rather than that knob jockey Pennant
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Jonesy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Wearside Bhoy Wearside Bhoy wrote:

Reading boss Brian McDermott in this weeks Irish Post " My mums from Clare  and my dads from Sligo. Looking back everyhing about me feels Irish my upbringing all my friends I have a massive regret of not having the chance to play for Ireland."

Was BM a decent player ?
Get Double Maxim in the Clarehall Dublin Tesco ASAP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic