You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hoolahan off to Norwich....for an absolute bargain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHoolahan off to Norwich....for an absolute bargain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hoolahan off to Norwich....for an absolute bargain
    Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 8:00am

Hoolahan is set to join Canaries

Wes%20Hoolahan
Hoolahan helped Blackpool win promotion in 2006/07

Norwich City are set to sign Blackpool midfielder Wes Hoolahan in a deal worth £250,000, with Canaries goalkeeper Matt Gilks moving in the other direction.

The 26-year-old Republic of Ireland international joined Blackpool from Livingston in 2006, initially on loan.

Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston told BBC Radio Lancashire: "I would imagine unless there is any last-minute hitches Wes will be moving to Norwich.

"We will take Norwich keeper Matt Gilks in a part-swap deal."

It's unfortunate but I fully understand his position

Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston

Hoolahan will move to Carrow Road after a bid from Norwich triggered a release clause in his contract.

"It's been a protracted deal," said Oyston.

"There is a clause in Wes's contract which allows him to move for a certain fee. However much we have resisted that and tried to keep him, Wes sees his future elsewhere. It's unfortunate but I fully understand his position.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank Wes for his service to the club and all he has done for us. I'm sure he will remain in the hearts of our fans not least for his audacious penalty against Preston at Deepdale."

606: DEBATE
real_mrcarrow

Oyston has admitted that having players with clauses in their contracts leaves clubs in a difficult position.

He said: "I think in certain respects I am frustrated we cannot keep a player like Wes here at Bloomfield Road.

"But in reality we do have players with these clauses sometimes and in some respects I suppose it is better to have the clause in their contracts and have the player than not have the player at all in the first place.

"However, it is something we will be reviewing as we bring in any new players in this summer and will be trying to resist including these clauses or at least increase the figure which triggers any clause."

Gilks had a difficult season at Norwich and failed to make a single appearance for the first team.

The 26-year-old former Rochdale man was signed by former Canaries manager Peter Grant last summer but could not oust first-choice keeper David Marshall.

Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 9:03am

Good move for him

punkrockemerald View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 10:56am
Go on Wes he's a good player does anoyone think he'll ever be able for the International set-up? At 26 he's getting on a bit.
It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's rather that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody.
Brendan Behan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic