FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLeague of Ireland representative team

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Topic: League of Ireland representative team
    Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 8:40am
Does the League of Ireland or FAI National League team play representative games now. Up until I moved to Canada in 2000 we always seemed to have a game against the Irish League but can't find any now. Are they still playing them and does anyone know where I could find the results from 2000 on.
There are friendlier places to drink.
Sponsored Links

flash View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 9:34am
The National U23 team is pick from Home based players.  They are currently playing a series of games can not think who all the teams they are playing against but they won there 2 games they played, the last one against North of Ireland and the other against an East European team.
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 9:43am
Yeah Flash you're correct, I think the u23's have taken over as the league's representative side - not doin too badly so far....
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 8:35am

I remember when we entered the L of I players for Olympic Qualifiers in the mid 80s, most of it was made up of that amazing Rovers 4-in-a Row team and they played really well, some cracking games I remember.  The late and truly great Barry Kehoe of Dundalk was also on that team, he was a smashing player, lost to cancer at a tragically young age......wonder why we don't enter the Olympic tournament anymore. Confused  Anyone know why?

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 10:25am
Holy man, FW! Now you are going back a bit! I remember playing Hungary and Spain at Milltown and drawing with Spain. Then we beat France 3-0 at Dalymount on a wonderful night. Yeah, the team was full of Rovers players but they did the LOI proud. The Olympic's then changed to an U23 competition from them and now we have to qualify via the U21 tournament. Noel Larkin, Barry Kehoe, Jackie Jamieson, Peter Eccles and the others all did well but I seem to remember Mick Neville being left out. One of the Shels fans says it was because he was a "black-hearted prod" but I think he just didn't like the man!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 11:06am
Jackie Jameson, another sad loss to the game in the sky.......they were cracking games alright, I must dig up those match programmes.  Had forgotten Neville was left out, he was absolutely superb at centre back for Rovers till he left Kilcoyne's sinking ship at Tolka when Milltown was abandoned.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 11:20am
Don't bring up the Milltown thing again, FW. That was a real shame and I am talking as a Bohs and LOI fan here. I mean they sell a really good pitch, the stadium was not as good and where are they now? Looking for a halting site in Tallaght! Tolka was a kip before Shels took it over and now it is a decent stadium. The same could have been done at Milltown. But I could go on and on and I've done enough of that on this forum this morning.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 11:36am
Not gonna bring up the Milltown issue Donal, done that elsewhere and we've already got riled up about Euro 88 and Lansdowne 95 so let's give peace a chance for the rest of the day.  Louis Louis Louis......OUT OUT OUT.
soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 7:21am
Originally posted by Donal Cullen Donal Cullen wrote:

Tolka was a kip before Shels took it over and now it is a decent stadium.

is it f**k!, Tolka is like Dalymont a crumbling pisshole. Take away the Jodi in Pigsboro and what else have the margarine kids got?

A crumbling dangerous Connaught Street seated terrace that needs a thorough structural examination on health and safety grounds alone.

Edited by soccerc - 20 Jun 2008 at 7:21am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 7:33am
Agree soccerc, sure only last season we all had to evacuate Tolka in the 1st half of Rovers v Waterford cos the floodlight pylon looked like it was gonna topple in the wind.  The toilets in Tolka are scandalous, as you say soccer, a crumbling pisshole.  Let's hope they do a nice job in Tallafornia.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 12:50pm
Jaysus, have things gone that bad since I left. I remember Dalier and Tolka being kips but Dalier was improving when I left and Tolka was a decent stadium. Holy crap!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic