You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

''Irish'' Mail on Sunday

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ''Irish'' Mail on Sunday
    Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 7:59am

Mail%20on%20Sunday%20-%20Front%20page%20appears%20to%20be%20The%20Sunday%20Tribune%20

The Sunday Tribune has issued a statement this morning in response to what it calls a 'shameless' act by a rival newspaper.

Some copies of the Irish Mail on Sunday have gone on sale this morning with a front page that appears to be the Sunday Trubune, but when opened reveals the Mail on Sunday.

A receiver was appointed to the Sunday Tribune on Tuesday and the paper is currently in the process of seeking a buyer, although the paper will not be published while that process is in place.

The Sunday Tribune Editor Noreen Hegarty said she was appalled and shocked at the Irish Mail on Sunday's attempt to make some of its newspapers look like a copy of the Sunday Tribune.

Ms Hegarty said: 'The Mail On Sunday has shown in this act that it will leave no stone unturned in the race to the bottom.

'The Tribune management and stafff and indeed Jim Luby the Receiver are working flat out in the hope of keeping the newspaper afloat.

'We are talking about 43 jobs in Ireland here, not extra remuneration for Associated Newspapers back in the UK.

'This attempt at burial of a still alive corpse and grave robbing by the Mail Group is a shameless act of commercial vandalism and I would beseech the fair-minded Irish Sunday newspaper audience to fight back by refusing to buy its titles.'

The Irish Mail On Sunday said in a statement today that its 'marketing exercise', which involved the paper using a Sunday Tribune wrap around on its front cover, is to 'persuade as many Tribune readers as possible to keep buying newspapers'.

Sebastian Hamilton, the newspaper's editor, said Ms Hegarty yesterday urged readers to buy an Irish paper this weekend.

He said: 'We wanted to make sure those readers were aware that the Irish Mail on Sunday is an Irish paper.

'The Mail employs 161 people here in Dublin - almost four times as many as the Tribune. The Irish Mail on Sunday is written here, edited here, printed and produced here.'

The statement goes on to say that the Mail on Sunday 'wants to protect those 161 Irish jobs' and 'of today's marketing exercise encourages more people to buy a paper today, surely that is something we should encourage'.

The Irish Secretary of the National Union of Journalists has condemned the Irish Mail on Sunday's actions as 'crass and cynical'.

In a statement, Séamus Dooley said: 'This was a cynical marketing exercise and represents a new low in Irish journalism.'

'The defence offered by the Mail on Sunday is disingenuous. Even in a fiercely competitive market there must be respect for basic standards of decency.

'This was an attempt to confuse readers and to cash in on the crisis at the Sunday Tribune in a crass manner which does no credit to the Irish Mail on Sunday or publishers, Associated Newspapers.'

Nothing Surprises me about that rag of a paper and to their attempts to portray themselves as an Irish newspaper is fcuking laughable. 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 06 Feb 2011 at 8:00am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 8:02am
Appalling stunt Thumbs%20Down
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 8:05am
thats a disgrace
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 8:55am

The daily mail is the biggest rag of a newspaper. Any **** that buys it here is a fool. It wasnt long ago when the english daily mail was filled with anti-irish sentiment. Dont buy the daily mail!!!

Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 8:55am
classless c@£ts
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 10:59am
My awl fella buts the irish daily mail. Its anything but fooking irish. Its a fooking rag and even the sight of it gets me angry.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Plastic Bari View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plastic Bari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 2:13pm
The mail is a sh*t paper!!
Twitter @VonBarracuda
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 3:49pm
I was grifted by them an hour or so ago. Have to say after my initial disgust, I think it's f**king gas. Clap
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 4:41pm
unethical but very smart underhand marketing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic