FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStuttgart 88 - Remember

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuttgart 88 - Remember
    Posted: 18 Jul 2007 at 9:23am

I know this may have been covered back around the time of the return to stuttgart against the germans, but i just thought i would get you all reminiscing about "that" game again and the tournament in general

Recently brought a video of Jack Charlton's Ireland Euro 88 review and watched some of it last night.

Now i was 8 at the time and remember Houghton's goal alright but what i was amazed at was the following.

• How well Ireland really played, creating lots of chances and getting really stuck in........real footballers then and tough challenges.........no rolling about crap

• Packie Bonner...........amazing last minute save.........literally stopped lineker on the line from a last min corner

• Reaction of Jack to the goal.........he turns and rubs his head.........and explains he hit it on the dug out as he jumped up but the press reported him as being embarrassed cos ireland scored against england

He reckons he was in mad pain and thought he had split his head

• commentator calling quinny neil quinn..........when warming up.......very funny
  • final whistle...............crowd going absolutely mental...........english in shock...........know loads of people who were there and so wish i was too

gonna watch the rest tonight...........cant wait to see ronnies goal agaisnt russia...........prob the best goal ever by ireland player i would say

Does anyone else remember any of this!
Sponsored Links

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2007 at 9:28am
bonnar denying linekar on more than one occasion.

kicking my football out on the road for the last 10 minutes cause i couldn't bear to watch the end

We're going to start a fire
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2007 at 10:25am
Ah lads, yiz will have me writing essays here and the tears might flow.  My abiding memories of the day (in no particular order) from one fortunate to be there...........

1. The amazing start, I can still see Razor's mop of hair shaking as he headed the ball and I can still see the ball as it hit the net.  Cue pandemonium down our end, absolute ecstacy it was.

2. As you say Prendy, just how well we actually played against a so-called superior team, but look at our mf that day, Razor, Ronnie, Big Paul, Galvin (what a grafter he was), but every player worked their socks off.

3. Second half pressure as the minutes crawled by.  Lineker shot saved, Beardsley blasts rebound over, Packy makes great double save, first froma Robson shot then gathers the rebound as Lineker runs in.  Lineker denied again by Packy with his legs.

4. Hoddle comes on and absolutely ran the show.  You don't see it on the video, but when he hit that volley from a corner, I was right behind the flight of that ball, I near shat meself as it just tailed away late on and missed by inches, it was the only thing to beat Packy all day, but fook it was close.

5. Ronnie Whelan shaving the bar and Aldo heading just over as we rallied again, with Houghton everywhere.

6. Injury time and sheer torture at this stage, Hoddle's free kick, Lineker's header and somehow Packy saved it, our nerves shot to bits now but Hoddle's corner is too long and the Herr Brummeier finally says it's over.

Cue more pandemonium among the Irish, we can't farkin believe it and we're all emotionally drained on the coaches after it.  Wonderful........

Our performance against the USSR remains one of the best 3 I can remember in all my years going, how we didn't win that game will remain a mystery and luck deserted us completely in the last game as you'll see with McGrath's header and Kieft's absolutely ridiculous goal........I better stop here, the nostalgia's getting to me.

Edited by FREEWHEELER - 18 Jul 2007 at 10:27am
L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2007 at 2:53pm
Some good memories there Freewheeler..hopefully we'll have some more come September
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2007 at 3:39pm

wwwwooooofffff McCuil 1988! Brings back memories, only seems like last week I was talking about him....eh hang on!

Ronnie Whelans goal really stands out in my memory when I do a bit of reminising cause of the obvious cracker of a finish but I remember that bollocks Datsayhav (Defo one of the best keepers ever)for another reason.  I was chuffed that day because I was just after getting the sticker of him after waiting ages (cost me about 50 swops) to complete my euro 88 panini book. Ah the memories. 

On another note, it was Enzo Fransiscoli off Uruguay who cost me about 200 swops to finish my italia 90 panini book and I remember he was in bits and I had to selotape the prick into my album!

Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2007 at 3:46pm
i'm very jealous lads, i'm too young to remember any of the match Cry
L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2007 at 4:47pm
Honey Monster Just ask Prendy for a lend of the video.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2007 at 1:40am
had no memories of the game other than the end of it  , remember loads of other games much better from that tournament , borrowed a tape of it a while after though and i must have watched the last fifteen- twenty mins 100 times ( from when hoddle comes on). how the fcuk did we hang on?? !! brilliant by packie and you are dead right FW hoddle ran the show.
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic