You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trap Out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/trap-under-fire-for-gibson-jibe-over-ill-daughter-2427655.html
I heard part of a press conference on Monday/Tuesday night on Off The Ball and he said that family should always come before football when talking about Gibson. Id say he was lost in translation and Id also say that paper is a rag...

It was in the Irish Times too.

“There are those in the selection who say: “I stay at home, my son is ill, I stay at home. I don’t need these players. Not Shay, not Duff; these have a fantastic mentality and if they have an injury it is okay. I see Shay in training, he works like a young 20-year-old.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1119/1224283710067.html

Edited by grannyrule - 19 Nov 2010 at 2:13pm
Sponsored Links

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/trap-under-fire-for-gibson-jibe-over-ill-daughter-2427655.html
I heard part of a press conference on Monday/Tuesday night on Off The Ball and he said that family should always come before football when talking about Gibson. Id say he was lost in translation and Id also say that paper is a rag...

It was in the Irish Times too.

“There are those in the selection who say: “I stay at home, my son is ill, I stay at home. I don’t need these players. Not Shay, not Duff; these have a fantastic mentality and if they have an injury it is okay. I see Shay in training, he works like a young 20-year-old.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1119/1224283710067.html

Yes I didn't deny that he made the comments, but as you see a more reputible paper like the Times didnt make it their leading sport's story this morning, but just mentioned it in passing.

He's cleared it up now and the Herald successfully & cheaply filled a page with that crap.
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 2:25pm

Hardly believe he meant it in the context the Herald make out....lost in translation.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by billybob billybob wrote:

Hardly believe he meant it in the context the Herald make out....lost in translation.

agree, I dont think anyone is that thick to say something like that. Herald is absolute jacks roll anyway
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Weser777 Weser777 wrote:

Originally posted by eire32 eire32 wrote:

RELAND manager Giovanni Trapattoni is under increasing pressure after he condemned Darron Gibson for missing the match to look after his sick daughter.

The Manchester United midfielder pulled out of Wednesday night's friendly game with Norway to care for the 18-month-old.

Trap claimed he didn't need players who missed games to look after their sick children, raising eyebrows among all observers.

The outspoken Italian told a press conference that he didn't want players who put family before football.

"There are those [players] in the selection who say 'I stay at home, my son is ill. I stay at home'," he said.

"I don't need these players."

Frayed

When journalists sought clarification on who or what Trapattoni was referring to, an FAI spokesman claimed the Italian was speaking in a general sense and not targeting Gibson.

The pair's relationship has been frayed in recent months after Trapattoni's assertion that Gibson should move away from Old Trafford to secure first-team football.

The Republic of Ireland manager suggested that the Derry native could improve his "hunger" by quitting the Theatre of Dreams.

The comments came after Gibson was left on the bench in the place of Paul Green who plays for Derby County, a team 21 places behind Manchester United in British football.

It led to a war of words between the pair in the press.

"If Trapattoni wants me to move on from a club like Manchester United to better my game, move to somewhere like Stoke where I'll get more games, but have little chance of winning anything, then I just don't know," Gibson said.

Following the rift Gibson claimed that he had a good relationship with Trapattoni.

what a w**ker,

f**k back to italy

ConfusedConfusedConfused

Gibson shouldn't get anywhere near our team anyway so if he takes offence to the comments like you, its no huge loss
regardless of whether or not Gibson is good enough to play for us or not, this a prime example of how Traps personal issues with players can and is effecting the team with regards to the players he's picking!!

yep pretty much
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 4:08pm
Same sh*te with Tracey as well..
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

agree, I dont think anyone is that thick to say something like that. Herald is absolute jacks roll anyway

Especially the w**ker that wrote that piece, Paul Hyland.

Non story. Although FW will have doubtless something to say as Hyland did mention something about a 'provisional ball'
yapster View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yapster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 4:15pm
 He should be given till the end of this campaign. I can't understand that the FAI as his employers won't make him go and watch Irish players playing for their clubs. If he is on 2 mil a year then he should do his job in full.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

Especially the w**ker that wrote that piece, Paul Hyland.

Non story. Although FW will have doubtless something to say as Hyland did mention something about a 'provisional ball'

+1
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 8:02am

Time for Trap to rise from his armchair

Irish boss must look beyond TV screen to bolster squad, says Daniel McDonnell

Saturday January 01 2011

FOR the third year in succession, there's a large number of Irish football followers of the strong opinion that Giovanni Trapattoni's New Year resolution should be to attend more matches.

The problem for the Italian is that there's a dwindling number of senior players available for him to go and see at the top level of the English game.

When the issue of his attendance at games is brought up, the 71-year-old cheerily describes how he receives a mountain of tapes, or spends afternoons watching two or three games on Sky Sports in succession.

Alas, the unfortunate reality at the moment is that if Trapattoni wants to track the progress of his key players, he needs to be sitting in the stands of Premier League grounds, because that's where a number of them have been located in a troubling couple of months.

Trapattoni hasn't always been consistent in stating that he will only pick individuals who will line out for their clubs on a regular basis. He tends to pluck out that argument when it suits him.

For example, whenever the vexed issue of Andy Reid was brought up over the past 12 months, Il Capo cited his lack of activity at Sunderland.

Or when Darron Gibson's exclusion was questioned, the Irish boss suggested that he needed more games.

Back in August, though, he was singing from a different hymn sheet when it became obvious that Shay Given and Robbie Keane would be spectators for the first half of the new campaign.

Nostalgically, Trap recalled his own playing days, where a shortage of match practice could easily be overcome. He envisaged that it would be no problem.

Suffering

However, come October, and the resounding defeat at the hands of Russia, he conceded that players were suffering due to negative club situations, with Glenn Whelan and Keane referenced in particular.

Carrying two or three lethargic figures was difficult enough but the picture has deteriorated dramatically since then. Keane and Given are stuck in the background, while Whelan remains reduced to substitute appearances and Kevin Kilbane is in and out of the team at Hull.

The problem for Trap is that Kilbane has actually been more involved than the other regular back four members over the past month.

Richard Dunne has spectacularly fallen out of favour at Aston Villa, and Sean St Ledger has slipped from main man to bench-warmer at Preston, although the sacking of Darren Ferguson might offer a glimmer of light.

John O'Shea, meanwhile, has failed to really get going this season at Manchester United, bizarrely so considering that he was offered a new contract in the autumn.

Keith Andrews remains on the sidelines through injury at Blackburn, and Kevin Doyle has also endured the frustration of niggling problems in a difficult campaign at Wolves.

Even Damien Duff, who was so influential for Fulham last year, was dropped by Mark Hughes for a couple of matches earlier this month.

Liam Lawrence and Aiden McGeady, who moved to Portsmouth and Spartak Moscow respectively in August, are a rarity amongst Trap's favourites in that they have enjoyed a sustained run of matches.

It's a remarkable crisis, and it must surely prompt a reaction from Trapattoni ahead of the Carling Nations Cup meeting with Wales in February.

Perhaps in the desperation to sell tickets, there might be some guff about the importance of winning the new tournament. But, of course, there is no importance.

Not when this country hasn't qualified for a major tournament in almost a decade, and the association badly needs the finances from such an achievement.

Therefore, it's the right time for a degree of experimentation, and Trapattoni needs to start thinking outside the box to find genuine alternatives to his dissatisfied chosen ones.

Scottish form pair Adam Rooney and Conor Sammon, who have a confidence in front of goal at the moment that few Irish strikers can match, deserve the respect of a visit from the man who makes the decisions.

More pertinently, he needs to explore his defensive options. With his first-choice pair inactive, it is time to consider alternatives, even if they've been in the squad before. Paddy McCarthy, Alex Bruce and Damien Delaney have featured peripherally in the international set-up.

Clearly, Trapattoni has reservations about their ability after spending ample time with them on the training ground.

Nevertheless, it is incumbent upon him to check on their form, given Dunne and St Ledger's travails. It may be worth dropping into an Everton reserve game to see how Shane Duffy is getting on, as it's possible he could be needed sooner than anticipated. It is expected that David Moyes will send him out on loan at some stage in the New Year and that would be a welcome development.

Certainly, Greg Cunningham's stint at Leicester makes the case for his inclusion ahead of Kilbane compelling. In fact, the glass half full in this argument is that if James McCarthy bounces back to fitness and David Meyler continues his recovery then, in tandem with the in-form Seamus Coleman, Ireland would have three promising youngsters lining out at Premier League level every week.

The crowded fixture schedule should offer Gibson more opportunities at Manchester United too, and there are signs that Marc Wilson will be given added responsibility at Stoke. But close observers of the Trapattoni regime know that it would be unwise to get sucked into discussing form as a means of hypothesising what his team might be for the spring internationals.

The autumn taught us that, in his mind, form really doesn't matter. It's hard to envisage the stubborn manager leaving his armchair and turning over a new leaf.

Irish Independent

yapster View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yapster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 3:18pm
 He is having a big laugh from his armchair
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 3:43pm
in fairness very few of you lot are any better - watching your football in an armchair/barstool! 
yapster View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yapster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by UCD AFC UCD AFC wrote:

in fairness very few of you lot are any better - watching your football in an armchair/barstool! 

Some of us don't get paid 2 mil a year for it.....
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 4:44pm
surely you have the odd tenner to spare no?
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 4:49pm

Yea the armchairs in the ss are very comfortable Confused
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 5:54am
This isn't about watching Ireland games, trap does that doesn't he.
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 9:09am

what a stupid point to make? trap is the manager of ireland, from what it seems anyway, people on here have proven they watch more football than him.

also, him and brady didn't seem to have a clue what's going on. he didn't even know that james mccarthy is still eligible for scotland like? even i knew that...very elementary stuff.
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic