You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHun Supporter, have to admire his neck!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hun Supporter, have to admire his neck!
    Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:54am

From the Daily Record........

Jobcentre paid for unemployed Rangers fan's trip to UEFA Cup Final

May 19 2008 By John Ferguson

AN unemployed Rangers fan fooled a jobcentre into giving him #151 to attend the UEFA Cup final in Manchester.

Rutherford Craig, 47, arranged an interview in Manchester for the day of the game and was given cash to cover travel, accommodation and a new suit.

But when the Record got him out of bed at 2.30pm to question him about the scam, Craig admitted he arranged it just so he could see the match.

He said: "OK, so I set it all up. Is that against the law?

"I don't think the woman in the jobcentre realised a thing.

"I did set up an interview for Wednesday at an employment agency in Manchester and went to it, but I really went down to see Rangers.

"Going to the interview meant I could claim expenses.

"Me and my brother watched the game in a pub together then came back up to Scotland.

"I wasn't involved in any of those riots. I had a great time."

Craig, from Ayr, arranged the interview, then claimed the money through the Department for Work and Pensions' Adviser Discretion Fund at his local jobcentre.

He added: "I haven't heard whether I got the job yet, but I will go down there to live if I get it.

"There are no jobs in Ayr, so I'll go anywhere for work. I wouldn't have come back to Scotland if they had offeredme a job there and then."

When asked the name of the company who interviewed him, he would only say: "It's a big company like a bank, but it deals in credit cards."

Craig, who lives on benefits and is on Jobcentre Plus's New Deal programme, claimed #80 of taxpayers' money for a new suit, #41 to cover travelling costs and #30 towards accommodation.

A friend said: "How daft could the job advisor have been? Where did they think he was going to be going on the day of the UEFA Cup final.

"Rutherford is a massive Rangers fan and there was no way he was going to miss Manchester. He was telling everyone he had a ticket for the game and had worked out a way of getting the jobcentre to pay for it.

"He thought up this scam a long time ago and, unbelievably, it seems to have fooled them.

"It's just a shame he doesn't deploy the same level of skill and effort into getting a job because he must be a clever guy to have come up with this.

"You can see how hard-working tax-payers will be furious about this.

"There must be loads of Rangers fans who work long hours and wouldn't have been able to find the cash to go down to the game or would have been too busy working.

"Meanwhile, Rutherford was down there all expenses paid on the Government.He probably had enough left over for a few pints as well."

Another pal added: "Rutherford has always been a bit of a chancer but I amamazed he pulled this off.

"I don't know what is more unbelievable - that he managed to dream this scam up, or that the jobcentre bought it.

"The only mistake he seems to have made is that he was so pleased with himself that he blabbed to folk about what he had been up to."

A spokesman for the Department for Work and Pensions said: "We cannot comment on individual cases but if we think rules have been broken, an investigation will be launched."

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Sponsored Links

Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 11:10am
Fair ball to him but now everybody will be trying it!! I do think it is illegial though and he could be in trouble!
I remember the story about Tommy Smith, the ex-Liverpool player, who was on disability pension but was seen by an EVERTON fan playing in a charity match at Wembley and reported him to the social welfare who I think took him off disability. Davy Langan - no kicking the ball at Lansdowne on Saturday no matter how tempting as some GAA head will have a field day.
There are friendlier places to drink.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic