You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Richie Towell - Puns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 424344
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Only a few years out from being an injury away from playing PL, huge gain for the loi but a shame for him it didn't work out over there 

I'm pretty sure he would've got a League One move, if not a Championship move, if Salford hadn't offered such a mammoth financial package.

It was a massive shock that he went there at the time.
Sponsored Links

Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:22pm
Hardly set the world alight at Salford. Thought he’d do a lot better when he went over there initially . I imagine it just shows the gulf between championship and LOI
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Only a few years out from being an injury away from playing PL, huge gain for the loi but a shame for him it didn't work out over there 

I'm pretty sure he would've got a League One move, if not a Championship move, if Salford hadn't offered such a mammoth financial package.

It was a massive shock that he went there at the time.

True, was disappointing when he made that move but don't blame him at all
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:38pm
Being honest he was massively overrated leaving Ireland. A successful stint in the LoI has a habit of making players look better than they are, Jack Byrne is a more recent example of the same phenomenon, Horgan as well before him.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Being honest he was massively overrated leaving Ireland. A successful stint in the LoI has a habit of making players look better than they are, Jack Byrne is a more recent example of the same phenomenon, Horgan as well before him.

In fairness, Horgan looked the part in the group stages of the Europa League.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 7:16pm

He was a bit overrated. Towell didn’t look like the type who with skills to translate to a higher level. He was an athlete who could hit a ball, but that would never have been enough. 

Byrne and Horgan have skill, not the full suit of abilities, but they hardly look out of place for Ireland. Chris Forrester probably had a better skill set, but other issues to contend with.

We’ll see better players out of the league of Ireland over the next few years I think
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 7:26pm
His unreal fitness levels definitely gave him an edge in LOI. Bit like the big lad on the team when you played under 9's.

Undoubtedly had talent, but talent born out of athleticism rather than skill/creativity. 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:06pm

Wes Holohan before them 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:46pm
To be fair to Hoolahan he backed it up after he left, as did Keith Fahey 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:51pm

To be fair to Hoolahan he backed it up after he left, as did Keith Fahey 

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 6:07pm
The dude did well for Salford at Wembley today. Soaked up the pressure. Will come back to Ireland at the end of the season with an EFL Cup medal.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 6:51pm
Has he retired yet? He's in the new Eir ad that's on the telly every five minutes.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 16 Jan 2023 at 6:53pm
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 11:24pm
Eel be on dancing with the stars soon, like a fish out of water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 424344
  Share Topic