You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barton denies Nazi salute

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barton denies Nazi salute
    Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 3:19pm
Newcastle's win over Aston Villa

• Goal celebration in 6-0 victory prompts controversy
• Barton insists he was implying the end of his moustache

Joey%20Barton Joey Barton said his goal, and Newcastle's victory, represented the 'end of the moustache or my relationship'. Photograph: Lee Smith/Action Images

A glorious afternoon for Newcastle United, featuring a hat-trick from Andy Carroll, was overshadowed by Joey Barton's questionable goal celebration today. The mustachioed midfielder appeared to celebrate with a Nazi-style salute after scoring the first goal of his side's 6-0 demolition of Aston Villa.

Yet it turned out to be a misunderstanding, as he later said it was a gesture implying that he would be shaving off the upper lip hair he had pledged to grow until promoted Newcastle won their first Premier League game of the season.

"I was simply saying the moustache goes," a clean-shaven Barton said when he was made aware his ill-advised gesture had prompted a storm of outrage across internet message boards and Twitter. "It was either the end of the moustache or my relationship, so I'm relieved."

Chris Hughton initially claimed he had "not seen" the incident. "This is about us scoring six goals and I'm not interested in anything else," he said. "I thought Joey's football was excellent today." Later, Newcastle's manager viewed television replays of the "salute" and declared himself convinced Barton's intention was innocent.

Hughton's annoyance with questions about Barton was understandable considering the scale and quality of Newcastle's victory. "I didn't expect that," he admitted. "We've seen great style, enthusiasm and pace – and Andy Carroll getting three takes some beating."

Cheered on by Alan Shearer, Carroll was watched by Franco Baldini, Fabio Capello's assistant, and there will be talk of an England call-up. Hughton, though, who has completed the £3.5m signing of Cheick Tioté, the Ivory Coast defensive midfielder from FC Twente, was slightly cautious in his praise, pointing out that Kevin Nolan, scorer of two goals from "the hole", had done equally well.

"It's still too early to say how far Andy can go," he said. "He's still developing his game. There's areas he can improve and he knows it but he's got no fear and always wants to improve. He certainly hasn't done himself any harm today. Andy's a bit of a throwback, he's a real handful for defences."

Hughton's concern now is managing fans' expectations. "It was a wonderful achievement today but, in this division you don't get too many days like this," he said. "These occasions don't come round too often so it's important we enjoy it."

Kevin MacDonald, Villa's caretaker manager, did not relish a humiliating reverse. Villa insiders had hinted the post of Martin O'Neill's full-time successor was his to lose but last night there was a feeling that the candidature of Bob Bradley, the USA coach had been strengthened.

Before the game MacDonald admitted he was uncertain as to whether he really wanted the job. Afterwards, the caretaker, who saw John Carew spurn a chance to give Villa an early lead by missing a penalty, was sanguine.

"I don't think it changes my views about the job," he said. "It was nice when people said nice things about me but this is the other side. I didn't think I was fantastic before, though, and I don't think I'm terrible now. We've got a big Europa League game against Rapid Vienna coming up on Thursday and I've got to get the players back up for it."

Verdict - English people are way too sensitive.

Edited by Propagandhi® - 22 Aug 2010 at 3:20pm
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic