Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Kennedy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:26pm
Saw his photo today. First time i think I have seen him since 2000.  Unrecognisable
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:47pm
Googled him talking about the job. Still looks much  the same.  His accent is slipping tho...did he not have a mad Dub accent years ago or am i imagining that? Gone now anyway if he did

I love beer gardens
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Saw his photo today. First time i think I have seen him since 2000.  Unrecognisable

It’s mental how people age.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 12:47am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Googled him talking about the job. Still looks much  the same.  His accent is slipping tho...did he not have a mad Dub accent years ago or am i imagining that? Gone now anyway if he did

Nobody loses their accent faster than the Irish.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Nobody loses their accent faster than the Irish.
Never Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 9:50am
I remember hearing some (possibly unproven) psychological theory that losing your accent reflects on your ability to adapt (in a positive way) to new situation, culture, etc. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I remember hearing some (possibly unproven) psychological theory that losing your accent reflects on your ability to adapt (in a positive way) to new situation, culture, etc. 

I've known English people who've lived here since I was a child (25-30 years) and they never lose their accent. And they're pretty normal people who blend in with every one else for the most part. Irish girls coming home from the states with an American accent after a J1 summer has been a uniquely Irish phenomenon for years now.

Kennedy isn't even the most egregious example since he's been there since he was 15 or 16. 

It's the headbangers who talk in an accent from a different continent they've never been to who wreck my head the most.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 2:06pm

I've known English people who've lived here since I was a child (25-30 years) and they never lose their accent. And they're pretty normal people who blend in with every one else for the most part. Irish girls coming home from the states with an American accent after a J1 summer has been a uniquely Irish phenomenon for years now.

Kennedy isn't even the most egregious example since he's been there since he was 15 or 16. 

It's the headbangers who talk in an accent from a different continent they've never been to who wreck my head the most.

You still thinking about those girls in the 'diner'?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Yeah, actually, because "diner" was in the business's name! 

Let's face it, we're a self-loathing little country in ways. For better (Scottish, Aussie, NZ) or worse (Welsh, NI) women from other countries don't co-opt the accents of people from other countries!

Not just the women, either. Laugh my hole off at the flash geezer "Lahndon" accent on my cousin a few months after he moves there.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 3:44pm

Let's face it, we're a self-loathing little country in ways. For better (Scottish, Aussie, NZ) or worse (Welsh, NI) women from other countries don't co-opt the accents of people from other countries!

Not just the women, either. Laugh my hole off at the flash geezer "Lahndon" accent on my cousin a few months after he moves there.

For someone critiquing the supposed "self loathing" of others, you appear to have (a few) sizeable complexes of your own. The way people speak really shouldn't cause you so much psychological distress.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I've known English people who've lived here since I was a child (25-30 years) and they never lose their accent. And they're pretty normal people who blend in with every one else for the most part. Irish girls coming home from the states with an American accent after a J1 summer has been a uniquely Irish phenomenon for years now.

For someone critiquing the supposed "self loathing" of others, you appear to have (a few) sizeable complexes of your own. The way people speak really shouldn't cause you so much psychological distress.

I find it amusing! Except when I'm on public transport. Unfortunately, these people not only put on American accents, they also speak in the same shrill volume, loud enough for an entire carriage to hear and rendering it impossible to get work done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic