You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jon Walters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 697071
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Always find the aggro against Keane from the majority (I think) on here remarkable. Clearly has his faults, and I wouldn't in any way condone his comments against JW (or worse, the lad who had the heart attack, Clive something?) but far more ups than downs to the man. 

Unlike so many of our internationals, he has remained really Irish, is always visiting, follows hurling, gaa, Munster and Ireland in Rugby, etc. He is renowned for his charitable work despite not courting the publicity and behind tbe scenes seems to help and have helped many pros and others. And that's before you mention that he was an Irishman who was indisputably one of the 5 or so best players in the world at his peak, was captain of the then best team in the world and even scored the winner in the word club final at that time. 

I think the criticism of him missing Ireland matches is also fair - but again he carried us, on his back, to Japan and Korea so that's kinda worth bearing in mind, no?

He also was part fca management team that took us to a major tournament and got us out of the group while there - only time in the last 22 years...(and yes we finished 3rd in our groups, blah, blah, blah...).

Also, he is a very entertaining pundit no matter what animus you hold against him. The guy has bags of charisma. Clearly not tactically astute, but a great foil for the guys who are. I like watching him and clearly most people do.

A strange target for the ire on here IMHO. He seems to get a better reception in England, despite holding himself out as an uber Irishman, than the reception he gets here.

It's an Irish thing to constantly criticise our best - Bono, Bob Geldof, McGregor, Rory McIlroy, and the 2 Keane's always get slated by most. We don't take kindly to our most successful
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Sponsored Links

counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

It's an Irish thing to constantly criticise our best - Bono, Bob Geldof, McGregor, Rory McIlroy, and the 2 Keane's always get slated by most. We don't take kindly to our most successful

Jesus, of all the people you could have picked, you landed on those four
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

He faked injury for a crucial WC play off match (given we know he was fit to play a full 90 for United 48 hours later).

He walked out on his country at a World Cup.

He starts fights at Ireland camps with a player that got his managerial team to the only tournament they qualified for.

Despite all this he is the first to yap on about professionalism etc. He is a hypocrite.

Well that's a lot more nuance to a lot of that than in your description. But even if everything you say is correct, there are still the points I make which are, I believe, largely statements of fact. Still don't see how this gets people to this level of ire in the circumstances.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 3:23pm
Probably the 4 most unlikable anglophiles on this island LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I wouldn't call McGregor an anglophile tbf, he's just a massive tool.

Much the same as Roy really.

Edited by The O'Shea - 09 Jan 2024 at 3:32pm
We're decent enough..
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Always find the aggro against Keane from the majority (I think) on here remarkable. Clearly has his faults, and I wouldn't in any way condone his comments against JW (or worse, the lad who had the heart attack, Clive something?) but far more ups than downs to the man. 

Unlike so many of our internationals, he has remained really Irish, is always visiting, follows hurling, gaa, Munster and Ireland in Rugby, etc. He is renowned for his charitable work despite not courting the publicity and behind tbe scenes seems to help and have helped many pros and others. And that's before you mention that he was an Irishman who was indisputably one of the 5 or so best players in the world at his peak, was captain of the then best team in the world and even scored the winner in the word club final at that time. 

I think the criticism of him missing Ireland matches is also fair - but again he carried us, on his back, to Japan and Korea so that's kinda worth bearing in mind, no?

He also was part fca management team that took us to a major tournament and got us out of the group while there - only time in the last 22 years...(and yes we finished 3rd in our groups, blah, blah, blah...).

Also, he is a very entertaining pundit no matter what animus you hold against him. The guy has bags of charisma. Clearly not tactically astute, but a great foil for the guys who are. I like watching him and clearly most people do.

A strange target for the ire on here IMHO. He seems to get a better reception in England, despite holding himself out as an uber Irishman, than the reception he gets here.

Why would he be congratulated for going to gaa and Munster games.  Sounds like lads wanting a Pat on the back for going to away games.  It’s obviously something he likes doing and should be sl*gged or congratulated for it the same way if he likes doing to Ireland cricket or judo or horse jumping or likes restoring Anglo Irish manors in Laois.  One is not better than the other and I say that as someone who liked attending GAA games when I can. 

AKA pedantic kunt
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 4:22pm

Or maybe they're all just bellends?

You never hear anyone say a bad word against Katie Taylor, Phil Lynott, Brendan Gleeson etc..

rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 4:23pm

[/QUOTE]

Why would he be congratulated for going to gaa and Munster games.  Sounds like lads wanting a Pat on the back for going to away games.  It’s obviously something he likes doing and should be sl*gged or congratulated for it the same way if he likes doing to Ireland cricket or judo or horse jumping or likes restoring Anglo Irish manors in Laois.  One is not better than the other and I say that as someone who liked attending GAA games when I can. 

[/QUOTE]

Fair comment. I suppose I'm addressing the often put suggestion that Saipan proves he didn't love his country or whatever. Just making the point that by his deeds he seems to be far more invested in Ireland than many of his international team mates who never faced that accusation. And again, I'm not going there with Saipan. Assume I accept everyone's view as correct!

In short, he's clearly a fairly flawed guy but I believe his plusses far outweigh his minuses.

Edited by rebelbrowser - 09 Jan 2024 at 4:26pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I wouldn't call McGregor an anglophile tbf, he's just a massive tool.

Much the same as Roy really.

Luckily for them they have their millions and don't give a f**k what us no marks think LOL
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

You never hear anyone say a bad word against Katie Taylor, Phil Lynott, Brendan Gleeson etc..

Katie Taylor despite her successful career is not as popular as you might think
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Thats interesting but I suppose irish people gravitate to any Irish success even if it is in a niche sporting environment. Rachel Blackmore stands head and shoulders above any other irish female sportsperson in my humble opinion.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 7:25pm
Rhys McClenaghan won AreTE Sports Personality of the Year

Edited by Trap junior - 09 Jan 2024 at 7:25pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 7:25pm
Who??
I love beer gardens
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 7:56pm

Tell the truth Cabra what you meant is you don’t like Katie 
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Tell the truth Cabra what you meant is you don’t like Katie 
Honestly I neither like or dislike the woman, I admire what she has achieved. Unfortunately, she and its not her fault, and probably colours my opinion on her, has been hijacked by the good.auld irush sports/event bandwagon, a think I dislike immensely.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 9:31pm

Thats interesting but I suppose irish people gravitate to any Irish success even if it is in a niche sporting environment. Rachel Blackmore stands head and shoulders above any other irish female sportsperson in my humble opinion.

lol f**k up.
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 10:35pm

It's Rachel Blackmore MBE, you'd think that you'd be willing to give her her full title give your admiration for a member of the most excellent order of the empire Dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 697071
  Share Topic