Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

italia 90 remembered

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: italia 90 remembered
    Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 10:40am
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Sponsored Links

gerrupourrathat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrupourrathat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 4:02am
Was wastching the FIFA film of the 1990 World Cup on ESPN the other night and it featured a fellow from Dublin called Joe McDermott a plumber who followed the team all round Italy at one one stage he was hitching a lift and got picked up by some Dutch fans.. anyone know who he is and is he still going to games?
18-9-11 The Day Sam came home..oh happy days
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 2:38pm

Interesting story behind Palermo's stadium in order to get ready for the World Cup.

I think it may be inaccurate as the stadium definitely had a roof over the main stand at the time of the world cup.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 9:53am
30 years ago ‘put em under pressure’ reached no1 and stayed there for 13 weeks. 

Great tune.

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 10:45am
I watched the official FIFA film last night for the first time in years.  Great times.  

I know somebody asked ten years ago (see above) about the Dublin plumber Joe McDermott who features prominently in it.  Anyone know him?  
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I watched the official FIFA film last night for the first time in years.  Great times.  

I know somebody asked ten years ago (see above) about the Dublin plumber Joe McDermott who features prominently in it.  Anyone know him?  

His face looks very familiar. Not sure from where. Probably from home games.   He is from gorey in wexford and in his late 70s

Edited by Baldrick - 01 Jun 2020 at 12:00pm
AKA pedantic kunt
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

His face looks very familiar. Not sure from where. Probably from home games.   He is from gorey in wexford and in his late 70s

Jesus, he looked older in 1990 than he did in 2019.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 9:55am

30 years ago on this day:
Monday 11th June 1990:
FIFA World Cup, Cagliari, Sardinia:
England 1 (Lineker),
Republic of Ireland 1 (Sheedy).

baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

30 years ago on this day:
Monday 11th June 1990:
FIFA World Cup, Cagliari, Sardinia:
England 1 (Lineker),
Republic of Ireland 1 (Sheedy).

The night of the storm, and the famous night the catamaran almost sank on the way back from Cagliari to Valetta in Malta. Thankfully, I flew to that game from Malta. The INGERLAND fans had caused problems in the centre of town, and on the way to the match. During the game,  looking up at the top of the stadium, there was trouble between both sets of fans. Was actually quite scary for a lot of fans as there was a lot of families travelled to Italy, and the first game against England was the one most people were apprehensive about.

But Sheedy's goal was brilliant. The match itself wasn't much, not helped by a gale force wind.  
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 11:02am
Goodness 30 years ago ,  more then half a lifetime . Errrrr for most Embarrassed

Edited by Claret Murph - 11 Jun 2020 at 11:03am
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Goodness 30 years ago ,  more then half a lifetime . Errrrr for most Embarrassed

EH.. ME Claret.Wink
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

EH.. ME Claret.Wink

In the same boat Confused
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 1:17pm
Cefalu = Heaven BEER BEACH BABES BALL BELLISSIMO 
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 1:20pm
Luckily still just about.

I remember there was no alcohol on sale on the day. Our group split into search parties looking for bars. Found one near church / cathedral with a few auld lads that would sell us beer to take out. Additional cost of a hat or scarf per visit.
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 1:21am
Anyone see the USA 94 documentary on RTE last weekend? Can't find it on the player...
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 1:23am
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

Anyone see the USA 94 documentary on RTE last weekend? Can't find it on the player...

Yep wasn't great tbh. The three 88,90,94 programmes have been disappointing imo.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Yep wasn't great tbh. The three 88,90,94 programmes have been disappointing imo.
Have to agree .
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 2:53pm

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Have to agree .

What were you expecting? It's the same stories over and over again told by the same 2-3 players. "And tell us Ronnie, how was the Pope?" The only thing I learned wathcing it was Packie Bonner is a religious nut who apparantly was incapable of catching a ball
Danger here, OH NO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic