Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brady seeks talks with Trapattoni
    Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 1:10pm

Giovanni%20Trapattoni%20was%20Liam%20Bradys%20manager%20at%20Juventus

Liam Brady wants face-to-face talks with new Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni about the possibilty of becoming his assistant.

Arsenal's academy director does not want to leave the club but would be prepared to discuss helping out his country on a part-time basis.

"I'd need to talk to Giovanni a bit more. I haven't actually spoken to him face to face," said Brady.

"I don't know what's going to develop until I talk with Mr Trapattoni."

Brady added: "I've only spoken to him over the phone, so I would need to sit down with him face-to-face, find out what he would want from me or what I could do for him and then obviously take it up with Arsenal."

Asked if he could combine a part-time role in Ireland with youth team work at Arsenal, he said: "I don't want to give up my job with Arsenal. I love my job with Arsenal. We need to talk it over obviously."

Trapattoni is keen on former midfielder Brady, who won 72 caps for the Republic, having managed him at Juventus in the early 1980s.

"I am hopeful Arsene Wenger will let Liam do the job as well as his Arsenal commitment," the 68-year-old Italian said.

"I knew Liam as a player and I asked him if it was possible for him to work with me a bit.

"He speaks good Italian and he knows the players. We can work together but not all the time because Liam has a good job at Arsenal."

Trappattoni has agreed a two-year deal and will leave Austrian club Red Bull Salzburg to take charge for the game against Serbia on 24 May.

His salary will be partly funded by entrepreneur Denis O'Brien, one of Ireland's richest men.

Qualifying for the World Cup in 2010 will be hard but it should be possible for Ireland to come first

Giovanni Trapattoni

FAI chief executive John Delaney said O'Brien's financial offer was "a pivotal moment in the recruitment process because it enabled us to raise the bar even higher than intended".

O'Brien, who made his billions in mobile phones and media, has offered to cover half the cost of the new managerial team.

"I'm a great believer if you hire the right people you get the right results," said O'Brien.

Delaney added: "Everyone acknowledges the senior national team has not achieved to the extent that we would all like over the past five years, but we're now entering a new era with a manager whose record is among the most successful in Europe.

"He's widely acknowledged as one of the most outstanding and successful coaches in the modern game."

Trapattoni has vowed to lead the Republic to the 2010 World Cup finals and is confident they can finish top of a group which also includes his fellow countrymen.

Italy will be at home to the Republic on 1 April in 2009 with the return game taking place at Croke Park six months later on 10 October.

"Ireland are not a second-rate team, they are supposed to be a first-rate team," insisted Trapattoni, who managed Italy from 2000 to 2004.

606: DEBATE
Big_Norm82

"Qualifying for the World Cup in 2010 will be hard, and playing against the Italian team will make me proud, but it should be possible for Ireland to come first."

Former Italy defender Claudio Gentile was also expected to be part of the backroom staff.

But the 54-year-old, who played alongside Brady under Trapattoni, and was Italy Under-21 boss during his mentor's reign as national coach, has declined the offer.

Brady, 52, encouraged Trapattoni to take the position and the appointment ends a lengthy search following Steve Staunton's departure from the job in October.

A number of names were linked to the post and former England coach Terry Venables was the long-time favourite before losing out to Trapattoni.

The veteran Italian coach won six Serie A titles with Juventus and one with Inter Milan. He also led Bayern Munich, Benfica and Salzburg to league titles.

We believe 100% that this is the man to take this team forward - you can't fault his credentials

Selection panel member Ray Houghton

His European honours include the European Cup, three UEFA Cups and a Cup Winners' Cup triumph during his spells at Juventus and Inter.

Former Ireland midfielder Ray Houghton, who was on the three-man selection panel, said: "It went on longer than we hoped but time wasn't an issue.

"We were putting our heads on the line and knew it would reflect on us in time if it wasn't a success.

"But we believe 100% that this is the man to take this team forward - you can't fault his credentials."

Excellent news

Edited by Jim26 - 14 Feb 2008 at 1:12pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 1:31pm
no need for him to leave his arsenal job , chris hughton double jobbd for us and spurs
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 1:43pm
Pearce did it with Engurland too
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic