You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Johnny Giles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldBawnHoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Johnny Giles
    Posted: 06 May 2010 at 10:42am

Johnny Giles is confirmed as our very first guest in the new function room within Tallaght Stadium - the Hoops Club. Johnny will take part in a Q&A with Rovers supporters at the function which takes place before the league match on May 21st v's Sporting Fingal.

It promises to be another very special night for Rovers fans as Johnny will take us through his day at Rovers and also in playing for and managing Ireland. Doors at 6pm with Johnny on stage at 6.45pm.

Tickets, priced at only €5 for members/€10 non members, will go on sale at the club office at the next home game v Galway Utd on May 7th. Ticket holders will have access to the Hoops Club pre match, at half time and post match when we hope to have Michael O'Neill and Johnny join us to discuss the Fingal game. Match & season tickets should be presented and will be scanned at the entrance to the Hoops Club.

Sponsored Links

Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 1:27pm
should be agood night
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 1:43pm
Giles signed Peter Beardsley for Rovers when in charge. Beardsley didnt make one appearance as Giles moved to Vancouver Whitecaps and ugly followed him.
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donal Cullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 6:44am
Jaysus, even I would travel to Tallaght to see that. Should be a good night and I believe Mr. Giles has a few stories that couldn't be aired on RTE about his time in football. A great night indeed.
There are friendlier places to drink.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 12:30pm
Giles cliches:
Honesty of effort Bill. Thats your starting point.
Having the moral courage to pass the ball.
I agree with Eamon.
Ah Bill will you let me answer the question.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:11am
Looking forward to it
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:41am
Giles is a legend and far and away the best football pundit on TV.  We did a gig couple of weeks ago and he did a half hour or so interview with Darragh Maloney, was very good with some good stories about his Leeds days and his battles with other teams.

One such story was that Liverpool's Tommy Smith who hated Emlyn Hughes apparently.  Giles tackled Hughes in the match and followed through catching Hughes in the bolix.  As Hughes rolled about, Smith charged over roaring at Giles............"I fookin hate you Giles, you little Irish so and so, always hated you...........but (on seeing Hughes in agony) I'm starting to hate you a bit less now.........."  LOL 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 7:06am
Don't know much about the Johnny Giles Foundation has it been doing some good work?

'I'm sad that I have to justify myself over foundation,' says Giles ...
https://www.independent.ie/.../im-sad-that-i-have-to-justify-myself-over- foundation-says-giles-38030854.html
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 7:52pm
As someone that likes Mick McCarthy and thought he did an adequate/met expectations job in his second stint with Ireland overall, Giles has a serious blind spot on Mick's record from his interview on Off the Ball today. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

As someone that likes Mick McCarthy and thought he did an adequate/met expectations job in his second stint with Ireland overall, Giles has a serious blind spot on Mick's record from his interview on Off the Ball today. 

I thought I heard him say that Mick got us to the playoffs.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I thought I heard him say that Mick got us to the playoffs.

f**k me this old chestnut again from Giles LOL 

We only got to the playoffs as result of other teams results. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic