You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Brazilian Ronaldo's career over ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Brazilian Ronaldo's career over ?
    Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 12:00pm
Milan fear for Ronaldo's career
Ronaldo
Ronaldo screams in pain after injuring his knee against Livorno
AC Milan striker Ronaldo is fearful he may have to retire after rupturing a tendon in his left knee, claims club owner Silvio Berlusconi.

The 31-year-old Brazilian was carried off in tears after suffering the injury against Livorno on Wednesday and will undergo an operation in Paris.

"He fears for his career," Berlusconi told Italy's RAI TV.

"I called him last evening and told him to believe in himself. He has enormous physical potential."

Ronaldo is expected to see Gerard Saillant, the same surgeon who treated him for a similar injury to his right knee in 2000.

"As a 31-year-old, he's very young," added Berlusconi of the Brazilian.

I don't want to say it's the end of his career because only time can decide

Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti

"He has an extraordinary physique, and I think within a few months he could return to being the champion that we all know him as."

The striker faces up to nine months on the sidelines after rupturing a tendon in his left knee.

"I don't want to say it's the end of his career because only time can decide - all we can do is stand by him," said Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti.

Milan face Premier League leaders Arsenal in the first leg of their last 16 Champions League tie on Wednesday 21 February.

Ronaldo, who is out of contract at the end of the season, suffered the same injury in his right knee in November 1999.

He lasted seven minutes on his comeback in April 2000 before taking another 20 months to make a full recovery.

Ancelotti said the whole club was worried about the Brazilian, who was named Fifa world player of the year three times and is the record scorer in World Cup finals.

606: DEBATE

"We're all very sorry and worried about what happened to Ronaldo," Ancelotti added.

"Our players all left the stadium in a hurry to go to the hospital to check on his condition, I think that's the right way to stand by a player who's suffering."

Ronaldo fell awkwardly while challenging for a ball in the air with Jose Vidigal, shortly after replacing Alberto Gilardino in the second half.

"I heard a horrible sound, like a bang, it was a strange sound," said Livorno goalkeeper Marco Amelia, who was close by when Ronaldo fell to the ground.

Terrible shame if that turns out to  be the case
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 12:39pm
Feel sorry for the lad. Was some player. Hopefully he'll be back. Never forget the goal he scored for Barca when he ran the pitch - absolute genius. think bobby was in charge at the time
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 1:13pm
Never liked him tbh but you have to feel sorry for anyone in that position
"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 2:04pm

Finished id say

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 5:05pm
seems like hes been around forever and only 31, good man! Nice haircut by the way.  was quality to watch over the years.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 4:04am
When he was fully fit he was awesome, doesn't look good for him now unfortunately
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
The Special One View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2008 at 8:57am
Unplayable at his prime, I think its the last we'll see of him in Europe, He'll go and play a year or 2 back in Brazil...

Very sad, he was one of the legends of our generation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic