You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ANY GOOD FOOTBALL TRIVIA QUESTIONS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 868788
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 11:37am
Name twelve players who have won the Champions league and the Copa Libertadores
Bonus question - who is the only player to score in both finals?
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Sponsored Links

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Tevez
Dida

"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 12:47pm
Neymar
Cafu
Rafinha
David Luiz
Ronaldinho
Roque Junior 
Danilo
Ramires
Samuel 
Dida
Tevez

I think the last one is Sorin who despite not actually still being at Juventus got a medal as he played it the group stages 

Edited by lassassinblanc - 22 Dec 2022 at 12:49pm
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Neymar
Cafu
Rafinha
David Luiz
Ronaldinho
Roque Junior 
Danilo
Ramires
Samuel 
Dida
Tevez

I think the last one is Sorin who despite not actually still being at Juventus got a medal as he played it the group stages 

You're good at the Googling!
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 12:52pm

Has to be Neymar?
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 1:02pm
Here's another one: Who is the most successful Scottish manager of all time at international level?
Emphasis on international, not club level.  Clue: not Fergie.

Edited by newrynyuk - 22 Dec 2022 at 1:04pm
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 2:25pm

Neymar
Cafu
Rafinha
David Luiz
Ronaldinho
Roque Junior 
Danilo
Ramires
Samuel 
Dida
Tevez

Correct. Well done

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Has to be Neymar?
Correct!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Here's another one: Who is the most successful Scottish manager of all time at international level?
Ally Mcleod
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 3:14pm

Neymar
Cafu
Rafinha
David Luiz
Ronaldinho
Roque Junior 
Danilo
Ramires
Samuel 
Dida
Tevez

why would you Google it🤔
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think this is exactly the reason - the serial winners of these competitions - Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Brazil and Argentina - have a big enough pool of managerial talent to rarely, if ever, need to hire a foreign manager.
That wasn't quite my point, which is that those countries consider that they have enough home grown talent, but that might not necessarily be the case.

If you look at Spain, for example, they were serial underachievers at international level for the first 60-odd years of international competition football, France for the first 50-odd.

While Germany's struggles in the last two World Cup Finals, or even Italy's failure to qualify might have been avoided had they had a "better" manager, even if he was a foreigner?

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I would be of the view that there is little to suggest that England, with a record of one win from 38 tournaments (and even that one win coming in a home tournament) deserve to be included in the "big" countries here.
I'm afraid that misses my point, too.

International teams draw their managers from their domestic leagues. And England, with over 100 professional clubs in thriving domestic leagues , the best of whom compete with the very best of continental clubs in European competition, should  be as "big" as any in terms of the size of their pool to choose from.

Yet the FA declined to appoint a managerial genius in Brian Clough, overlooked a very capable international manager in Jack Charlton(!), and afaik never even considered a true great like Bob Paisley. And even when they chanced upon a top manager in Terry Venables, they binned him after 2 years for entirely non-footballing reasons.

This the same FA who appointed duds like Ron Greenwood, Graham Taylor and Steve McClaren and were even willing to give Big Sam a chance before he blew it.

So perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that they screwed up when they looked overseas  for Capello and Erikssen?
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Ally Mcleod

The answer is actually Ian Porterfield.
He was Zambia manager when they reached the final of the Africa Cup of Nations in 1994.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 7:38pm
Not really a question, but Spurs haven't lost on Boxing Day since 2004 i.e. 16 games. The only team in English football (all four divisions) to exceed that run is Aston Villa, with 20 unbeaten.

Between 1890 and 1913!

Meanwhile, Harry Kane's goal yesterday which helped maintain that run also means he has now scored more Boxing Day goals in the Prem than anyone else, on 10. (Previous record-holder was Robbie Fowler on 9).

And it also meant he has now scored against all 35 Premier League opponents he has ever faced.

It was a good goal, too.

Edited by Territorial - 27 Dec 2022 at 7:39pm
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Not really a question, but Spurs haven't lost on Boxing Day since 2004 i.e. 16 games. The only team in English football (all four divisions) to exceed that run is Aston Villa, with 20 unbeaten.

Between 1890 and 1913!

Meanwhile, Harry Kane's goal yesterday which helped maintain that run also means he has now scored more Boxing Day goals in the Prem than anyone else, on 10. (Previous record-holder was Robbie Fowler on 9).

And it also meant he has now scored against all 35 Premier League opponents he has ever faced.

It was a good goal, too.

Stephen's Day you mean Wink
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Between 1890 and 1913!

It was a good goal, too.

Stephen's Day you mean Wink
If you insist, although I was talking about events in England, where "Boxing Day" is the traditional name.

While Saint Stephen's Day might be a bit more respectful.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 9:03pm
When was the last time Man Utd lost a home league game after being ahead at half-time?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 9:08pm

When was the last time Man Utd lost a home league game after being ahead at half-time?

Only heard this one recently I think it's something mad like 1993 or 94. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 11:22pm

before the first premier league season, wasn't it?
Going to guess October 1991
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Only heard this one recently I think it's something mad like 1993 or 94. 
Mad? 1993? That's merely a bit unusual.

Now this is properly mad!

https://twitter.com/optajoe/status/766726232763469828?lang=en-GB

(It's May 1984 btw)

Edited by Territorial - 29 Dec 2022 at 3:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 868788
  Share Topic