FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTony Yeboah

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tony Yeboah
    Posted: 15 Jan 2008 at 5:51am

"This month our regular columnist Peter Ndlovu recalls an unsavoury incident from the African Cup of Nations.

Things have been quiet this month so when I sat down to write this article my mind went blank. Although the following tale has very little to do with the game of football, fans will still find it quite entertaining.

It is from the 2006 African Nations Cup in Egypt. We had just played our final group game, ending on a high by beating a strong Ghana side but still crashing out of the tournament. At the hotel that night we decided to have a few drinks and toast to our victory. I had invited my friend Tony Yeboah along (fans of English football will remember him from his highly successful period with Leeds United) as he had been watching the match.

The lads started giving Tony a lot of stick for his country's loss, especially our head coach Charles Mhlauri. Tony was taking it quite gracefully but, as a proud Ghanaian, I could sense his patience was wearing thin. Nevertheless, the drinks kept flowing and so did the jokes.

It came to the end of the night and some of the lads had disappeared to bed, most notably our coach and Tony. Now during the whole tournament Charles had personally entered the hotel rooms of our most lazy players (Benjani was the worst) and pulled them out of bed in the morning to get ready for training so myself and a couple of the other lads decided to repeat the routine on him. We got the keys from reception and seven of us bundled into his hotel room at 4 a.m. To our horror it was not Charles who we found in bed, it was Tony Yeboah. The worst part was that he was having sex with Charles' wife!

I quickly rounded the boys up and ushered them out of the room, frantically hoping to keep a lid on the situation. After all, it was I who invited Tony to the party! We found Charles in one of the hotel bathrooms. He had had far too much to drink and crashed out.

The next morning, at breakfast, I quizzed Tony about what happened and he delivered a line which I will remember all my life:

"When a man insults my country I insult him, by taking his woman"

Charles did eventually find out about the incident and I think he separated from his wife for a period. The last I heard though was that they are back together and he's now coaching in the USA.

The moral of the story is never to p*ss off Tony Yeboah!"

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Sponsored Links

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2008 at 6:08am
gas
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2008 at 7:23am
thats a fantastic story! LOL
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2008 at 7:31am
Got that via email this morning and was gonna post up!! Amazing how quickly they get round the world, great story alright, some player he was too.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2008 at 10:15am
brilliant!
"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
ernesto guevara View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2008 at 3:17pm

Scored a cracker against liverpool one nite aswell.

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
ryaner13 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 9:45am
That is just a fan-bloody-tastic story, well done Tony!!
Liverpool F.C go deo..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic