Topic ClosedFulham/Ireland, you choose

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fulham/Ireland, you choose
    Posted: 28 Dec 2007 at 5:50am
Similar runners and riders to Ireland...........this from Fanzine Forum in today's English Times.

The job that nobody wants: who next for desperate Fulham?

Ray Lewington's application may now be in Mr Al Fayed's waste paper basket, but another manager has distanced himself from the Fulham manager job.   After Slaven Bilic declined last week, Martin Jol has now made noises about the squad not being good enough.   Which leaves us with unproven John Collins and a number of proven managers with somewhat mixed backgrounds.

The Betfair odds now have Terry Venables, of all people, as second favourite behind Collins.  Roy Hodgson - who would be a good choice, I think - is next, then come the names that make us shudder:  Hoddle, McLaren, O'Leary.  Yikes.   Then we have the aforementioned Jol, Lewington and Bilic, then it gets even weirder, with Souness, Klinsmann, and Billy Davies.   If Graham Souness gets this job there'll be outrage on the terraces.    Paul Ince and Gerard Houllier are intriguing longshots, as are George Burley and Jacques Santini.

Somewhere in this list of names is our next manager.  John Collins' lack of experience is said to concern the board, and rightly so.  While he would presumably bring back a reversion to Tigana-esque passing patterns, could he win with this squad?   It would be quite a gamble at a time where the board needs certainty, or as close to certainty as they can get.   Which is why Venables starts to make sense.   Whatever we might think of the man, he does understand football, how things need to be done, how to make the best of available resources. I'm no Venables fan, but for Fulham's purposes he seems a sensible choice.

Roy Hodgson is another with a 'tactician' reputation, but he may find that our motley collection are not as malleable as he'd need them to be.   Oh, there's talent in the squad, but they have no confidence and are used to playing a certain way (directly, badly).   Is he a strong enough personality to come in, reinvigourate these players, and turn things around?   We cannot know, of course, but Venables has previous in this area, having rescued Bryan Robson's Middlesbrough under similar circumstances in 2000.   He hasn't managed a club property in years, but desperate times call for desperate measures. 

My prediction:  Collins AND Venables.

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Sponsored Links

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2007 at 6:06am
very simailar to ireland a despot chairman , a ramshackle stadium , glory days behind them and loyal fans who have had to put up with more uncertainty than they deserve.

collins would surely jump at the chance but i wonder how good he really is ?
and as for el tel....  

Edited by RogerMilla - 28 Dec 2007 at 6:06am
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2007 at 8:15am
Can't access the betting sites in here......a name caught my eye in that article, Jacques Santini......what price is he for our job?  I know he bombed at Spurs, but he had international experience avec Les Bleus........
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2007 at 9:16am
no market for santini on betfair
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2007 at 10:48am
Hodgson is new Fulham manager
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2007 at 11:20am
Jacques Santani (I think) is manager of Tunisia, winning the African Nations Cup and leading them to the World Cup and made them one of the best teams in Africa.....no it's Roger Lemerre who is manager 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic