FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedengland croatia - the irish view

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Topic: england croatia - the irish view
    Posted: 22 Nov 2007 at 4:48am
Living in London (near wembley) i got offered a free ticket to last nights game - would not usually bother but it was free drink as well - so me and my brother went.  having listened to Talksport in England hyping it all day, sl*gging off mcclaren all week, individual players etc, but still cocky enough to predict qualification.

Now me and my brother both had a tenner on the Croats at 9/1 so very happy with the result on numerous levels.  From my point of view it could not have gone any better - england were sh*te, croatia very good and you could sense the crowd being dumbstruck so early on as england gifted them goals.  was funny to see mcclren under an umbrella on the sideline looking lost sipping coffee (reminded me of stan actually)

When they got back to 2-2 - the crowd were still so quiet and relieved, thinking they had pulled it off. 

But it could not have turned out better, a deathly stunned silence descended on the winner going in, with just loads of noisy bouncing croats going mental - they were brilliant all night - have some great songs where one side sings over to the other - and their players and subs kept going over to them when they scored.

Beckham was once again lauded a god (made a difference tho, yet was ruled past it all week on radio), and lampard was given man of the match (ffs).  The way the crowd turned made me laugh, myself and my brother were pissing ourselves at the reaction, comments and general sh*te from these "great fans".  The way out was headed for long before the end of the match by most (they only needed a goal right to the end but still left)

The new wembley is excellent and i, and i hope we will get England in the draw on sunday!  - I reckon its about time, missed them by one pot last draw for the euros.  Can see a load of irish in the corner where the croats were going just as mad.

Plus the press will have a whole year to hype it up

It will be strange next summer with no crappy hype to build up for the euros - Coral bookies had a special priced bet yesterday on england to win euro 08 at 9/1 and they hadnt even qualified - the bookie said once they had qualified they would be cut to 7/1 to win it, so to get on now - arrogant pricks 

Radio is brillinat now today, loads of scots who got mocked last week for failing to qualify are all ringing in giving it to the biased presenters.
Sponsored Links

The Rovers View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2007 at 4:57am
9/1, thats some price, they were 7/1 in paddy powers over here which I cant believe I didnt jump on. Yeah its great craic wathcing sky sports news this morning.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2007 at 8:18am
Prendy, fair play to you, I'd say that's an experience to treasure, watching England go out in their own back yard, drinking their beer for nothing and winning the Queens shilling for rightly backing the Croats (I got my tenner on as well).  The Croat support looked brilliant, they'll remember that for years.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic