Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gerry Peyton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gerry Peyton
    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:21pm
I never knew he made one appearance at Bolton (on loan from Everton) during the 1991/92 season. Everyday is a school day.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:25pm
Gerry is a massive Hughie Lewis fan if that counts for anything .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:26pm

He’s one cool dude to be fair , looks a bit like the hoff in that one 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I never knew he made one appearance at Bolton (on loan from Everton) during the 1991/92 season. Everyday is a school day.
I never even knew he played club football at all

I always assumed the FAI just kept him in a broom cupboard in Merrion Square, only to be used on special occasions

I didn't even believe he was a real person

I thought he was a genetically engineered clone developed by a crack FAI team of scientists in preparation for the rapture, ie. Bonner getting injured

Also to be used as a cuddly team mascot

It's a little known fact that the Irish wolfhound Macúl, who used to dance up and down behind the goal at home matches circa 1990, was actually Peyton, shouting woof woof advice at Bonner

My belief that Peyton had been developed in an FAI lab faded when I found out the FAI had been paying hundreds of thousands of pounds to a tout for tickets which did not exist

I began to realise that they were not the all powerful, all knowing crack team of scientists I thought they were

Edited by sid waddell - 20 Nov 2020 at 1:35pm
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I never even knew he played club football at all

I always assumed the FAI just kept him in a broom cupboard in Merrion Square, only to be used on special occasions

I didn't even believe he was a real person

I thought he was a genetically engineered clone developed by a crack FAI team of scientists in preparation for the rapture, ie. Bonner getting injured

Also to be used as a cuddly team mascot

It's a little known fact that the Irish wolfhound Macúl, who used to dance up and down behind the goal at home matches circa 1990, was actually Peyton, shouting woof woof advice at Bonner

My belief that Peyton had been developed in an FAI lab faded when I found out the FAI had been paying hundreds of thousands of pounds to a tout for tickets which did not exist

I began to realise that they were not the all powerful, all knowing crack team of scientists I thought they were

The country is coming to the same conclusion about NPHET
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:53pm
In the Italia 90 song give it a lash Jack, up until my adult years I always thought the words of a line were, instead of "take up knitting" -
Take a Peyton, Packie Bonner, Lineker can do that too

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:58pm
about time this legend got his own thread 😀

Far too little is known about him :) 
AKA pedantic kunt
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:58pm
Is it true he is a previous Mr Universe and taught Elvis how to play karate? 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

In the Italia 90 song give it a lash Jack, up until my adult years I always thought the words of a line were, instead of "take up knitting" -
Take a Peyton, Packie Bonner, Lineker can do that too

True story

On a train between Salzburg and Munich on July 20th, 1990, on a family holiday, I got talking to a fellow ten year old from a family of American tourists

His name was John and he was from Pennsylvania

He was fascinated about the "Who'll Put The Ball In The English Net" t-shirt I was wearing and the Olé Olés I was singing while messing in the corridor

So I taught him the words of "Give It A Lash Jack"

By the time we got to Munich he had the whole thing learned off

I maintain that this was one of the cornerstone events of the modern rise of interest in sahhhhker in America
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:07pm
I also link it to the rise of Trump.  It’s your fault. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I also link it to the rise of Trump.  It’s your fault. 
Probably Saint and Greavsie's fault

Trump made the draw for the quarter-finals of the 1991-92 Rumbelows Cup on an episode of Saint and Greavsie

Edited by sid waddell - 20 Nov 2020 at 2:10pm
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 3:37pm

Enjoyable interview.

Edited by Double Maxim - 20 Nov 2020 at 3:39pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 3:46pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 3:47pm
only on YBIG would we spend a Friday making Gerry bleedin Peyton a topic of discussion LOL
AS YOU WERE McGx

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 5:30pm
Gerry Gerry Gerry 
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:18pm
I know for the 90 and 94 world cups we only had two goalkeepers in the squad but if it was three who would the third goalkeeper have been? What other Irish keepers were knocking around back then playing at a decent level?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by SeanyL SeanyL wrote:

I know for the 90 and 94 world cups we only had two goalkeepers in the squad but if it was three who would the third goalkeeper have been? What other Irish keepers were knocking around back then playing at a decent level?

Alan Kelly's bro, Gary maybe. He was in a squad or two but never capped. 

Peyton can stop looking at the phone to ring from Baldrick for now. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 8:47pm
What am I missing in relation to all the Gerry Peyton mentions?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic