Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGermany , J'accuse.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Germany , J'accuse.
    Posted: 06 Jul 2007 at 2:04am
Right lads , percy's confrontation with the German yesterday has brought this on. As most of you know I live in Germany and I think their team is not as good as they think it is and they will be found out eventually. I am hoping it will be in croke park.

First of all consider their world cup campaign. The only team of note they beat was portugal and that was in the dead rubber of the 3rd place game.

The three teams in their group were gimp teams in my opinion , poland being especially disappointing.

Sweden have some decent individual players but they are not all that either in my opinion.

Against Argentina they did well but you could argue bad tactics let the argies down , they had peaked too soon and lets face it you're not going to beat the germans on penalties. Man for man a far better team than germany in my opinion.

And now to italy , well i didn't feel they punched the lights out in the competition. they were negative, coulndt beat USA , barely beat australia and i honestly think they upped their game right at the death of their match against germany because they didnt want to face the penalty shoot out !!  still much better than the germans though even though I felt Frings was wrongly punished.

Now to the qualifying campaign.
They hockeyed San Marino twice.
Gave slovakia a good going over twice and the czechs away
Beat us at home with a fluke goal and drew in cyprus.
Basically I feel they are deteriorating as are the Czechs.

It's up to us to capitalise on this. Slovakia are going to be tough for us to beat but man for man our best 11 is way better.  We can get something off the czechs , they will be out to win unlike in dublin and so it could be an open game.

And then to Croke Park, We can beat the germans there , we have to believe that.

We need to start winning all our home games. If we dont qualify for this I wont regret the points dropped in cyprus or the czech and slovak away games . We need fortress Landsdowne back and Croker has been brilliant so far.

Bring on Ze Germans!!!!

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Sponsored Links

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2007 at 2:23am

Tell us what you really feel Roger.  Interesting points but I have to admit I enjoyed watching the Germans in the WC, they mighta been dodgy at the back as Costa Rica showed in the 1st game, but the Germans always went for it in fairness.  Agree totally that Pekerman bottled it in the Argie game, but they gave Italy a great game, it was a magnificent game that night.

Let's be fair though, Shay kept us from being embarrassed in Stuttgart despite the brutal goal and we won't have our strongest XI in Sept with Duffer already gone and as I said on a previous posting, we still haven't won an away game of note since 1987 against the Scots en route to Euro-88.  So while I'm the eternal optimist, my own trepidation about Stan and his selections/tactics remain.  Jury's still out on Croker as well, the Wales game was like a Morgue, the soccer pitch was dwarfed by the sheer size of the Ga pitch and while the atmo was better at the Slovak game, it might be all immaterial if we don't get 4 points in September.  Anything less I think we're fooked.

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2007 at 2:27am
outwith the games in the east we will still need to beat the germans to keep our seeding up and get a platform for the future FW , i think they are doable having watched them a fair bit. if anything teams give them too much respect which they capitalise on. I just do not want us to be beaten before they arrive , they are no Italy in my opinion.   
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2007 at 3:53am
Agreed Roger, you're in a far better position than me to judge them, Italy they are not, you're spot on there.  If you test their defence they are vulnerable, we never did that in Stuttgart, maybe it was the "respect" factor you allude to above.  Home games should always be won if you have designs on qualifying.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2007 at 4:43am
it seemed to me the slovakians and czechs were beaten before they came onto the park , alot of them ply their trade in germany and i think they were smoking the germans dope i.e. over-estimating them.  
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2007 at 3:01pm
It's obvious the games in September are make n break for us and that's why it is absolutely crucial that the lads go over there and give it their fookin all. This is where i'm a bit worried as i dont think Stan is what you would call a "mr motivator." I reckon we have the players to get the 2 results but I just hope the lads are well up for it unlike in Stuttgart when we were never in the game. Another factor that may be a problem is the inexperience in our team and I just hope we don't freeze in front of the Slovak and Czech crowds even though I dont imagine that it will be that intimidating given the small crowd and the few thousand Paddies cheerin them on.
In relation to the Germans, I'd agree that they are not as good as some ppl make out. However, after watching the Czechs against the Welsh, i'm very confident of getting something out of them and if they continue to play like that they'll continue to lose points.
We're still very much in with a shout....ROLL ON SEPTEMBER
Percy View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2007 at 7:00am
too much to put in as a thread ... feel a rant coming on. When the german heard opel was the last sponsor of ireland, he couldnt control his excitement........... german engineering and all that sh*te.......
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2007 at 5:04am
sh*te cars LOL now if it was BMW AUDI or Merc
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2007 at 6:17am
I remember Arnold O'Byrne's catchphrase...."Opel, put the boot in..." painful it was.  Good point Percy as well on bloody Macul, even he was bloody sponsored.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic