You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Germans Green Jersey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Germans Green Jersey
    Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 8:17am
What is the story with the German Green away Jersey -

Isn't it obvious the Irish own green - I mean they would never have an orange Jersey.

What is going on there????

YBIG I think you might have a case here???
Sponsored Links

Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 8:23am
It's in honour of us. We were first to play them after WWII.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 8:24am
We were the first ones to play them after the war so they adopted green as their away jersey as a thank you.

Or is that an urban legend?
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 8:25am
The shirt does'nt make the superfan - your heart has to be green!!!
kevjreilly View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevjreilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 8:27am
Urban legend.

Almost sure we werent the first to play them and that there was a few teams that did and the green has something to do with the germans themselves rather than some other team. Probably totally wrong but something to do with an old flag or something from the old days anyway.
Read it 3 times before posting
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 8:28am
Something to do with the house of saxony if I remember.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
St.Pauli View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St.Pauli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 8:42am
Would love that it's true, but seems a myth to me.....

Heard that is has to do with the DFB-Logo, which is green:

Okay, now you can ask why is that logo green... Wink

Lend me ten pounds and I'll buy you a drink
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 8:50am
Team coach Oliver Bierhoff is satisfied with the decision. After three meetings with Adidas, it was easy to decide on what colour the next shirt should be. Because: “Green is currently very trendy,” says the DFB Manager, the polls had shown the sports goods manufacturer and the magazine “11 Freunde” has recently asked the fans which shirt they would like to see the Loew-boys. 53 percent were in favor of green. Bierhoff is certain that the adidas-shirt will be a success. “I think the jerseys are a cult.” Then so nothing can go wrong at Euro 2012.

wow it did'nt work out that way - maybe they should stay away from green and leave it for its real owners!!
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 8:59am
theyve been using green as away colour since 54, so hardly a trend colour. Heard the Irish story from many Germans aswell over the years. Hard to say which one is true
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 9:00am
the ireland ww2 thing is complete bollixx anyway
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
domo View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 9:03am
Here is the real reason they were greenThumbs Up

The national team's home kit has always been a white shirt and black shorts. The colours are derived from the 19th century flag of the north German State of Prussia. Since 1988, many of the home kit's designs incorporate details patterned after the German flag. The away shirt colour has changed several times. Historically, green shirt with white shorts is the most often used alternative colour combination, derived from the DFB colors (and the ones of a playing field),[citation needed] though it is also reported that the choice is in recognition of the fact that Ireland, whose home shirts are green, were supposedly the first nation to play Germany in a friendly game after World War II.[121] This is false, as their first match after WWII was in fact against Switzerland.[122] Other colours such as grey and black have also been used. A change, from black to red, came in 2006 on the request of Jürgen Klinsmann, citing that teams in red are statistically more successful, and perceived as more intimidating.[123] He hoped to use the red away shirt as first choice for the 2006 World Cup despite less than impressive results when playing in these colors (for example, the 1–4 loss in Italy), but Germany played every game at the 2006 World Cup in its home white colours. In 2010, the away colours then changed back to a black shirt and white shorts, but at the tournament the team dressed up in the black shorts from the home kit. The new away kit was worn by the team for the first time in a friendly against Argentina on 3 March 2010. The German team has since resumed the use of a green shirt on its away kit.
Shake and Bake
ericdogg View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 9:36am
Was there something about this mentioned on Green is the Colour??
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 10:51am
Always amazes me that this urban myth has stuck.

Its one of the holy trinity with

- Socrates played for UCD
- (random bogballer) went on trial to (random English side) and (random player or manager at that side) said he was the fittest man he ever saw and put it in their book, but no-one can find the quote.

jackshat View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Jack shat in case you're wondering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackshat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

It's in honour of us. We were first to play them after WWII.

Sadly this isn't true. I remember researching into it after I first heard of the story but it isn't true.

I would also like to add that the current Germany away top is one of the nicest I have ever seen. I see they are keeping it for two years, I wish Umbro/FAI would take a leaf out of their books
It's Jack Shat
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 1:22pm
Turkey played them first after the war, not Ireland. We were the lastteam to play them before the war. We were also the first team to play Poland after the war.

Also this the the 1 millionth thread (give or take) on this, use the search facility!!

edit - thats non german speaking countries

Edited by nvidic - 29 Jun 2012 at 1:23pm
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 1:26pm
SCumbro out
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 1:31pm
Jesus this old chestnut.  We were not even the first team to play them after the 2nd  World War
AKA pedantic kunt
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Andkend Andkend wrote:

What is the story with the German Green away Jersey -

Isn't it obvious the Irish own green - I mean they would never have an orange Jersey.

What is going on there????

YBIG I think you might have a case here???
This topic againDead

We wore an orange jersey during the '90's.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic