You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia-Switzerland double header

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Poll Question: When are you flying to Switzerland?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [16.36%]
34 [61.82%]
12 [21.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by bailesiorc bailesiorc wrote:

Anyone know of any tickets on the go for either game? Missed the boat on applying and trying to plan a trip last minute

2 spare for Switzerland.  Was considering doing double header but only going to Tbilisi now.
Sponsored Links

baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 6:54pm
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:02am
Who else is on the Kutaisi - Basel flight Monday afternoon?
Myself and trapped were planning to split a taxi from Tbilisi to Kutaisi airport if anyone else wants in.

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 2:06pm
So was the double header a success? Will it be remembered with fond memories like the last time?
Football wise no. 
For the travel it wasn’t the easiest either coming from Tbilisi. Pain in the arse getting the early flight out and had about 5 hours to kill in Istanbul. 
Think I ate something bad as I was in bed by 9 after the match and getting sick before heading to the airport. Stopped getting sick but then the sh*ts began when I got to Geneva. Stank out the few rows around me during the match for which I apologise. 
Don’t think the body can take it that’s for sure. 
I’m still here in Switzerland and heading to Zurich on the train now and back home tomorrow night. It’s a lovely country to see. 
The dark side.. And the light
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 2:40pm
The 4am flight on the Monday was tough and caught up with me on Monday night otherwise was grand 

Weather in both places undoubtedly helped
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 3:13pm
We definitely could have got more convenient double Headers,  way too much travel involved left Cork Airport at 6am on the Wednesday with a four hour layover in both Amsterdam and Kiev, touched down in Tbilisi at 00.55 and headed straight to MacLaren's, few days on the beer and we had a mini bus to take us to Kutaisi on Monday morning,  rough enough ride with some of our group getting the gawks at a service station forecourt much to the annoyance of some locals. From Kutaisi we flew to Milan. Headed out for a bite to eat in Milan but was back in bed a couple of hours later. The Tuesday it was the train journey to Geneva which took an hour longer than scheduled. Early start Wednesday morning for a 7am flight from Geneva to Gatwick with a five hour layover before my flight back to Cork. Glad I took the Thursday off work. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 7:23pm
A lot of travelling.  Not helped by assuming Basel when booking.

Hopefully some new destinations next time.    
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

A lot of travelling.  Not helped by assuming Basel when booking.

Hopefully some new destinations next time.    
And so say all of us. 

Which means we'll no doubt get Denmark, Wales, Georgia and Gibraltar in the WC22 qualifiers. Dead
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
King Neymar View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Neymar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 8:56pm
Thought the travelling was grand myself, great flight that landed in Tbilisi at 5pm, usually get early flights anyway so no issues with flights out of Tbilisi at 4am bar being in the horrors from Sat night.

Lovely relaxed train journey through Switzerland as well 
He loves the kids, he brings the gear, thinks he's Mother Theresa this year.....
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 7:55pm
The key thing I did this time around was make sure we had flights at decent times to and from Georgia. It meant going to Kutaisi rather than Tbilisi but those horrible 4am flights and layovers in Istanbul are a right pain. There was a lot of travelling but once the times are decent, I can live with it.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 10:24pm
Got the Tbilisi-Geneva bit out of the way straight after match, very long day on the Sunday alright, but I think splitting the journey would have made it 2 fairly long days instead, so happy enough. Like GS above, took an early gamble on Zurich, in my case mainly because of a €25 flight from Kiev, so took a 3hr train journey to rectify that gamble on reaching Switzerland. Flight home was originally from Zurich too, but I switched it to Geneva the minute Geneva was confirmed, cost me €70 to do it, but I'd consider it money well spent, flight left about 5 hours earlier than the Zurich one and no 3hr train journey back to Zurich either. 

Cheers to SD regarding the many train tips he put up before this trip, booking on DB from Singen (instead of Zurich) to Geneva also saved a few quid thanks to him. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 10:58pm
Much improved flights this time around myself. Dub to Paris to Tbilisi with a 3 hour layover in CDG. Bite to eat, a beer and a bit of Internet browsing before a decent chin wag with CM and Mrs, Ringerbell and Greenarmy saw the stop over fly by.

Departed Tbilisi the Monday as having left early after the match last time killed me. Tbilsi to Amsterdam to Basle (took the gamble before venue confirmed) and a choo choo up to Geneva was the plan. However, bumped into Boyz and his mate in AMS who kindly accommodated me in their hired car from Basle to Geneva. Few tunes, scenery and chatting saw that pass by in no time at all. Lads parked up a few mins stroll from my hostel. 

Flew home direct from Geneva to Dublin again took the gamble before venue announced. 50% sucess rates on gambles.

Edited by Sham157 - 20 Oct 2019 at 10:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic