You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia v Ireland - 12 Oct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 52>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 4:20pm
I imagine there's a chance of Aaron Connolly getting a call-up given he's made two PL appearances this year (as sub) - never mind how well he's been doing for the U21s.  Particularly if he gets another run-out this weekend. 
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 4:39pm
He won't.

McCarthy has already said that he won't be picking players from the 21's.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 4:55pm
You can pretty much copy and paste the squad from the swiss game to the Georgia game.

Those that would like to see some surprises will be disappointed 
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 4:57pm
Horsebox, Mick didn't say that.  

He said - I'm paraphrasing - he won't be calling them up for the sake of it and disrupt the u21 and the player's development, but if they're playing in the PL, he would have to strongly consider them. 

For example, this is what Mick said in July about Parrott: "if he is starting and playing for Spurs, he’ll have to be a shoo-in for the squad.  He’s got to be playing really, to play. But if he is in the squad with Spurs with a chance of coming on –  I’m not going to be daft enough to suggest he isn’t good enough to come and play"

Hence if Connolly makes a few more Brighton PL appearances, or particularly starts, I imagine there is a chance he'll get called up to the seniors. 

But, I agree, don't expect many or any changes. 

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 20 Sep 2019 at 5:00pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 5:14pm
The squad will be the same as previous - Connolly has done SFA to be called in the senior squad too.

We also have plenty of cover for that position too.

Plus, he's be better off playing 90 mins for the 21's and trying to win the game qualify rather than sitting on bench for the senior side.

Edited by horsebox - 20 Sep 2019 at 5:15pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 5:38pm
Hogan should be dropped anyway. That's one space up for grabs. 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

To be replaced by Collins or Maquire or Long!! 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Purely from an options point of view, I'd go with Collins, Maguire, McGoldrick, Parrott.

Robinson will probably be out wide but can also play up top. 5 very different men to go up top, are potentially two up top if needs be. 

Hogan is on the decline unfortunately. We have players that can do what he can but better. Never fulfilled on that cracking stint with Brentford. He's coming to end of his Ireland days.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:16pm

Purely from an options point of view, I'd go with Collins, Maguire, McGoldrick, Parrott.

Robinson will probably be out wide but can also play up top. 5 very different men to go up top, are potentially two up top if needs be. 

Hogan is on the decline unfortunately. We have players that can do what he can but better. Never fulfilled on that cracking stint with Brentford. He's coming to end of his Ireland days.

What Ireland days?  He;s been in the door 2 minutes as Roy would say.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

And 2 minutes is all it will be. Poor bastard's gone to the dogs the last 2 years.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 9:49pm

And 2 minutes is all it will be. Poor bastard's gone to the dogs the last 2 years.

Slightly off topic but why is it that so many good or potentially good Irish players go the dogs so quickly?

The likes of Brady, Judge, Hogan, Elliott, Arter, McCarthy, Hendrick, Gibson, McClean, Meyler and Clark have all regressed in the past few years with a combination of injuries and off field problems hampering their club careers.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Slightly off topic but why is it that so many good or potentially good Irish players go the dogs so quickly?

The likes of Brady, Judge, Hogan, Elliott, Arter, McCarthy, Hendrick, Gibson, McClean, Meyler and Clark have all regressed in the past few years with a combination of injuries and off field problems hampering their club careers.

Perhaps they were never as good as they were cracked up to be. But I do think we've been particularly unlucky with injuries.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Perhaps they were never as good as they were cracked up to be. But I do think we've been particularly unlucky with injuries.

We're all guilty on here of hyping up Irish players and injuries have been cruel to McCarthy, Brady & Judge in particular but a lot of our players seem to struggle to kick on to the next level. After the Euros, we were all hoping Brady, Hendrick & McCarthy and perhaps Arter would be our main menbut it hasn't materialised for one reason or another. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 10:22pm
Pilkington. Remember him?   Never felt McCarthy was that good a player tbh.  Always looked to me that he tried to make himself unavailable to receive the ball and didn't want responsibility.  He tackles well though.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 10:34pm

Pilkington. Remember him?   Never felt McCarthy was that good a player tbh.  Always looked to me that he tried to make himself unavailable to receive the ball and didn't want responsibility.  He tackles well though.

Was only watching those 2 goals he got against Man City on the final day of the 2012/2013 season. He has fallen off the face of a cliff
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 5:55am

Makes him fit in with our midfield perfectly so.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 2:15pm
Did McGoldrick pick up an injury? Not in the Sheffield United squad today
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:12pm
3 weeks today 👍
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 52>
  Share Topic