Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia v Ireland - 12 Oct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by daveyc daveyc wrote:

Originally posted by Skelly Skelly wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Mcclean is f**king sh*t and needs to be dropped. He would be better as an impact sub if we were losing and chasing a goal as that is the only time he does anything of note

It's our own fault for letting Nordies have Irish passports ffs

What a w**ker comment.
+1

Who else shouldn't be 'let have' passports?

absolute C**Ts comment 

LOL Ffs lads I’m pretty sure it was a joke.
Sponsored Links

Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Great post. McClean’s ship has sailed I’m afraid. 

Every time he gets stick, I think back to the standing ovation he got when he came on as a sub on his debut, I think Robbie Keane got less adulation after his final appearance....

The performance was as expected. Dull, boring, aimless hoofball, no ambition to get any more than a point. Just as in Copenhagen and last month. McCarthy went to Georgia looking for a point, and just as in Copenhagen and Lansdowne last month, he was overjoyed to get it. Those points were widely hailed as great results. This one less so.

Nothing has changed since the last man in charge, just a bit more luck going our way. So much so that a win in Geneva will put us through, and he will be hailed as the messiah. I doubt he understands that though. He wants a point there, and no more. It is pre-programmed already. 

....as for McClean, he's lucky he isn't booed off these days. But he doesn't have to wait too long for a boo or two at this time of year, as his annual one man stand against poppies on English football shirts resumes soon. 

Regardless of his performances, he should be commended for sticking to his principles, in fairness. 
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:36pm
Not sure about Obafemi either, but Collins is a joke. 

Edited by Fitz - 13 Oct 2019 at 4:39pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:46pm
Not sure how anyone can draw such damning conclusions on Collins on the basis of that game; you can be damn sure that if it was Connolly who started and put in exactly the same performance as Collins the knives wouldn't be out for him half as much. He won a few free kicks and in general received no decent service, hardly a good performance but certainly not enough to definitively state he's of absolutely no use to us going forward either.
We're decent enough..
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 5:08pm
Collins will get 20 in championship this season, that cant be sniffed at when Long, McGoldrick, Robinson arent out and out goalscorers. Long has only passed the 10 goal mark 3 times in his career, he runs around and puts in a shift but rarely threatens in the box.  He has done nothing in years. We have plenty on non scoring strikers to run around like a headless chicken.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Not sure how anyone can draw such damning conclusions on Collins on the basis of that game; you can be damn sure that if it was Connolly who started and put in exactly the same performance as Collins the knives wouldn't be out for him half as much. He won a few free kicks and in general received no decent service, hardly a good performance but certainly not enough to definitively state he's of absolutely no use to us going forward either.

To be fair, he received the same service that AC did when he came on, but did much less with it in a far longer period of time. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 5:53pm
Connolly received a good ball over the top, that's more than Collins did in the time he was on. I'm not saying Collins will ever be a regular for us, but he did nothing last night to deserve the savaging he's received from some.

Edited by The O'Shea - 13 Oct 2019 at 5:53pm
We're decent enough..
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 6:07pm

Connolly received a good ball over the top, that's more than Collins did in the time he was on. I'm not saying Collins will ever be a regular for us, but he did nothing last night to deserve the savaging he's received from some.

I agree that he may have something, possibly, to give at some stage but I think you’re being a little bit too kind in this instance. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 6:08pm

He played ok, but I think shabe long and Connolly should be ahead of him. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 13 Oct 2019 at 6:09pm
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 6:19pm

I agree that he may have something, possibly, to give at some stage but I think you’re being a little bit too kind in this instance. 

How so?

Collins is a poacher, he needs to be fed the ball from the midfield or have balls crossed into the box from the wingers.

He was isolated up top on his own yesterday, he didnt get the service so wasnt in the game, simple as.

The fault lies our midfield.. Hendrick, Hourihane, Whelan and McClean were awful yesterday and instead of changing that.. we resorted to bypassing them altogether in the second half with long balls launched over the top.

At that stage Collins was off, Connolly was on and the 2 chances that fell for him were from long balls!

PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

He played ok, but I think shabe long and Connolly should be ahead of him. 

Long cant finish, Collins is a 6 yard box player, long is finished, 10 goals in 3yrs, his time is up
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 6:32pm
I agree about the midfield/lack of service, definitely, but Collins didn’t go off til the 78th minute, so what you’re saying doesn’t add up: if we resorted to playing longball in the second-half (as you say), then, Collins has much more opportunity to benefit from it than Connolly did, yet AC did more in 12 mins than Collins did for the entire game. I think you’re splitting hairs a bit tbh. 

All the best to Collins, but I think he’ll do little or nothing for us. 

Edited by Fitz - 13 Oct 2019 at 6:33pm
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 6:49pm
Anywhere I can watch highlights or the full 90 online?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by flaghunter flaghunter wrote:

Jaysus, you’re keen 
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 7:13pm
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Jaysus, you’re keen 
The thoughts of watching that again
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 7:15pm

I agree about the midfield/lack of service, definitely, but Collins didn’t go off til the 78th minute, so what you’re saying doesn’t add up: if we resorted to playing longball in the second-half (as you say), then, Collins has much more opportunity to benefit from it than Connolly did, yet AC did more in 12 mins than Collins did for the entire game. I think you’re splitting hairs a bit tbh. 

All the best to Collins, but I think he’ll do little or nothing for us. 

Is the 78th minute not in the second half? As the clock wound down more and more long balls were being drilled up the pitch by Randolph.

Collins doesnt benefit from a long ball.  Hes a poacher in the 6 yard box. He works off others getting the ball to him.

Its like when Robbie played up front on his own, completely lost without a Quinn or Doyle player beside him to hold up the play and bring him into it ...or having a winger like Duff beat his man and get a cross into the box for him,.

Theres no point in having a player like Collins up front if he isnt getting fed balls into the box.

Hes not a target man for long ball and hes not one to drop deep into midfield and help dig the midfield out and hold up play the way someone like McGoldrick does.

If we're going for long balls over the top, Connolly can run onto it like he did yesterday, take on his man and have a shot from outside the box.. Collins cant do that, McGoldrick cant do that, Hogan cant do that. Some like Connolly or Long of yesteryear can..  with a bit of pace and skill to beat their man and have a shot..

Edited by valo88 - 13 Oct 2019 at 7:18pm
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 7:18pm

It's not for the squeamish or faint-hearted. Only UEFA statisticians should watch it, and then only in a strictly controlled environment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>
  Share Topic