You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia - 12th Oct 2019- Travel & Acomm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 158159160161162 171>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr_T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 11:06pm
http://tbilisifreewalkingtour.com/

Looks a good tour option.  Highly recommended on TripAdvisor.

Will probably try to get on it on the Friday. 

Sponsored Links

ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Mr_T Mr_T wrote:

This is who we did the tour with last time was very good
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Greenlad11 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenlad11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 11:28am
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Originally posted by moeszylak moeszylak wrote:

Good morning,

I'm currently cycling from Ireland to Iran, have made it as far as Bulgaria.

Looks like I'll make it to Tbilisi in time for the Ireland game. 

I'm having trouble accessing the away portal, have got in touch with the FAI and am awaiting a response.

In the mean time, I was wondering if any of you have any idea about the chances of picking up a ticket on the ground there?

Ive a mate who's pulled out, should have a spare

Everyone will have a mate who’s pulled out for this one.
Mr_T View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Originally posted by Mr_T Mr_T wrote:

This is who we did the tour with last time was very good

Thumbs Up
JamesyB1989 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesyB1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 10:32pm
Does anyone know if we will be collecting over there or not yet?
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 5:43am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Where is everyone in Tbilisi staying?
Google the Hangar and McCleans bars and stay somewhere in between and you will not go far wrong .

Good to know that we are traditional creatures of habit and keep to the same placesLOLLOL
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 7:11pm
Anyone here on the Poznan flight to Kutaisi on Wednesday evening by any chance?. Debating whether to stay the night or head straight to Tbilisi.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Anyone here on the Poznan flight to Kutaisi on Wednesday evening by any chance?. Debating whether to stay the night or head straight to Tbilisi.
No
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 2:29am
Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

Google the Hangar and McCleans bars and stay somewhere in between and you will not go far wrong .

Good to know that we are traditional creatures of habit and keep to the same placesLOLLOL

I'm staying literally a 10 minute walk from the stadium Thumbs Up
Linzark
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Linzark Linzark wrote:

Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

I'm staying literally a 10 minute walk from the stadium Thumbs Up

Is that not a bit far out from city centre? It's nearly an hours walk from Freedom Square to the stadium
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 4:14pm
The metro runs from there to Freedom Square and costs 0.5 Lari per trip. That is the sum total of €0.15. It takes less than 10 minutes.

I stayed in that part of town last time around and it was fine. Admittedly, the place we are staying this time is across the road from MacLarens, but still, it is incredibly cheap to get around.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

The metro runs from there to Freedom Square and costs 0.5 Lari per trip. That is the sum total of €0.15. It takes less than 10 minutes.

I stayed in that part of town last time around and it was fine. Admittedly, the place we are staying this time is across the road from MacLarens, but still, it is incredibly cheap to get around.
What’s the closest stops to the stadium and McLarens/Hanger Bar? Got a taxi out the last time with an absolute mad man. Was hard enough getting one back in then after the match tho
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 5:17pm
Station Square metro station is around the corner from the stadium, less than 5 minutes walk.

Liberty Square metro station is on Liberty Square, about a ten minute walk from both MacLaren's and the Hangar.

A taxi is no doubt quicker (only about 10m from the Hangar to the stadium) but the metro is cheap as chips.

If there are a few of you, it's probably handier to get a taxi but you have to remember that the tax drivers are, to a man (and they are all men), f**king mental.
Ballycastle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballycastle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 6:58pm
Hi guys is there anyone staying in Kutaisi after the late flight from Luton on Thursday 10th October?  I've just been having a quick Google search regarding the trains but there only seems to be one daily train from Kutaisi to Tbilisi unless i have been looking at the wrong websites? Anyway there will be 9 of us staying the night in Kutaisi again on the Thursday night and I've started to look at a private transfer to Tbilisi with Georgian bus and it's working out around 180 usd for a 12 seater Mercedes sprinter bus or if anyone else has any recommendations regarding getting to Tbilisi on the Friday morning that would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Ballycastle - 21 Sep 2019 at 7:20pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 7:21pm
Have a look at Rioni to Tbilisi: Rioni is the mainline station just outside Tbilisi. You'll need to book a taxi to take you there & probably show them exactly where it is on google maps but there are a lot more trains from there. It is weirdly down a sort of dirt track (which is nuts, frankly, given that it connects two reasonably large cities) but it has more trains than Kutaisi main station.

There is a train at 01:34 in the morning but I seriously doubt if you'd be able to catch that from the train. I'm on the same flight and planning to get the bus down once we land. Before they changed the flight times, I had planned on getting that train and just getting a taxi from the airport to Rioni station but it is about a 25m drive and there is no way we'd be in a taxi outside the airport at 01:10.

There is an organised public bus run by Georgian Bus that leaves the airport at 01:30 for Tbilisi and if the flight is late, it will wait. It takes about 4 hours and is 20 GEL per person (about €6), which is a lot cheaper than the price you've been quoted. You might well be better cancelling the Kutaisi accommodation and heading straight down to Tbilisi on that bus. Don't forget they are 3 hours ahead of us, so it's effectively a 22:30 bus arriving about 02:30 Irish time. It also arrives at Liberty Square, likely close to where you are staying.

If you do want to get the train, there is also a train at 11:01 you could get from Rioni to Tbilisi, arriving 14:20. That is a lot quicker than the 12:25 train from Kutaisi which doesn't arrive in Tbilisi until 17:25. Now, of course that means an early start (a taxi at about 10:30, which is 07:30 Irish time) but if you want to get to Tbilisi earlier, that is maybe a better plan than the plan you have.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 21 Sep 2019 at 7:30pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 7:27pm

Edited by SuperDave84 - 21 Sep 2019 at 7:31pm
Ballycastle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballycastle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Have a look at Rioni to Tbilisi: Rioni is the mainline station just outside Tbilisi. You'll need to book a taxi to take you there & probably show them exactly where it is on google maps but there are a lot more trains from there. It is weirdly down a sort of dirt track (which is nuts, frankly, given that it connects two reasonably large cities) but it has more trains than Kutaisi main station.

There is a train at 01:34 in the morning but I seriously doubt if you'd be able to catch that from the train. I'm on the same flight and planning to get the bus down once we land. Before they changed the flight times, I had planned on getting that train and just getting a taxi from the airport to Rioni station but it is about a 25m drive and there is no way we'd be in a taxi outside the airport at 01:10.

There is an organised public bus run by Georgian Bus that leaves the airport at 01:30 for Tbilisi and if the flight is late, it will wait. It takes about 4 hours and is 20 GEL per person (about €6), which is a lot cheaper than the price you've been quoted. You might well be better cancelling the Kutaisi accommodation and heading straight down to Tbilisi on that bus. Don't forget they are 3 hours ahead of us, so it's effectively a 22:30 bus arriving about 02:30 Irish time. It also arrives at Liberty Square, likely close to where you are staying.

If you do want to get the train, there is also a train at 11:01 you could get from Rioni to Tbilisi, arriving 14:20. That is a lot quicker than the 12:25 train from Kutaisi which doesn't arrive in Tbilisi until 17:25. Now, of course that means an early start (a taxi at about 10:30, which is 07:30 Irish time) but if you want to get to Tbilisi earlier, that is maybe a better plan than the plan you have.

Ok perfect that's great advice cheers. The thinking behind staying in Kutaisi on the Thursday night was at least we will get a somewhat proper sleep that night even if it's only a couple of hours rather than travelling through the night and sleeping most of the morning / afternoon whenever we get into Tbilisi. I'm going to recommend to the lads about maybe trying to get that bus from Kutaisi airport. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 8:08pm
I get that and in some ways it makes sense. The other thing is this: if you stay in Kutaisi, it'll be after 2am before you get to your hotel anyway; the flight lands about 1am and by the time you get out of the airport and in a taxi and get to Kutaisi, it will likely be 2am. The airport is about 25 minutes away from Kutaisi by taxi. You might get a decent night's sleep there, yeah, but even if you get the 11am train, you'll still not be in Tbilisi until after 2pm. And that still necessitates getting up about 10am, which is 7am Irish time. It's an early start on the second day, otherwise it is late before you get to Tbilisi.

However, if you get the bus at 1:30am and arrive in Tbilisi at 5:30am, you'll be in your hotel about 6am (3am Irish time remember) which is the same as a late night at home. If you're up and about at 1pm, you'll still have had a decent enough night's sleep, especially because you can always get a bit of sleep on the bus down (allegedly they don't allow booze and I'm not sure how easy it will be to find cans in the airport at that hour anyway).

I can see the point in staying in Kutaisi all the same. We did it last time when we flew back to Milan from there; we headed up the night before rather than getting a 9am bus from Tbilisi. We're flying back the same way this time but getting the 9am bus this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 158159160161162 171>
  Share Topic