You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia - 12th Oct 2019- Travel & Acomm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 171>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 1:48pm
Depending how you measure it, their record is either bad or utterly shambolic, compared to ours.

They have somewhere between 11.8 and 15.3 fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants, compared to 4.1 for us. Given we are quite safe, three to four times our level is still relatively safe.

However, based on vehicle numbers, they are far worse. They have 54 fatalities per 100,000 vehicles. We have 7.5 on that level. On that scale, they are seven times worse, per vehicle. That is a fair bit less safe.

I don't have per vehicle-km statistics, which would be the best measure. We are 3.8 per bn vehicle-km; I'd imagine they are even worse again.
Sponsored Links

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 2:02pm
Seems to be a good bit of interest in this game.
Know of a few groups with 15 or so going and then only 2 or 3 staying on for switzerland.

Will be my first time in Georgia, couldn't make the recent away games over there but safe to say I've heard enough stories and reading about the taxis I'll probably avoid them LOL
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Seems to be a good bit of interest in this game.
Know of a few groups with 15 or so going and then only 2 or 3 staying on for switzerland.

Will be my first time in Georgia, couldn't make the recent away games over there but safe to say I've heard enough stories and reading about the taxis I'll probably avoid them LOL

There's little or no option but to use them especially to / from the airport  Big smile

I've felt like Steve Martin on a number of occasions in Tbilisi LOL

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

that bus from Kutaisi to Tbilisi Dead
Trust me it can't be any worse than the train journey

The heavy nights drinking in the Barcelona bar the night before didn’t help the journey 
That night in pub barca in Kutaisi is one of the best nights I ever had on an away trip. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

The heavy nights drinking in the Barcelona bar the night before didn’t help the journey 
That night in pub barca in Kutaisi is one of the best nights I ever had on an away trip. 

Aye absolutely unreal craic. The poison they were selling us Dead 
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 3:10pm
We rented a car last time from Kutaisi. Apart from having 250km on the clock and not being able to fully close ine window, it was a great oul drive through to Tbilisi and dirt cheap to rent.

Beats that bus
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I wonder what the stats are for road fatalities in places like this. They must be horrendous. You'd wonder as well if it's a bit of bravado. Would they drive like absolute headcases if it was some old granny in the taxi rather than a gang of boozed up foreign football fans. 
Pretty much all locals, taxi drivers or not, drive like that.  It might help if the authorities painted some road markings.  Seems to be the right of way is awarded to whoever got there first.   
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

We rented a car last time from Kutaisi. Apart from having 250km on the clock and not being able to fully close ine window, it was a great oul drive through to Tbilisi and dirt cheap to rent.

Beats that bus
250 KM or 250,000 KM?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Mr_T View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Mr_T Mr_T wrote:

Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Booked up. Thursday to Sunday via Riga.

Flights worked out a bit more expensive than some but I'm way too long in the tooth for 3 hour bus trips from Kutaisi, multiple connections or 12 hour layovers, especially when flying solo.

Looking forward to it now.

What option did you go for?

Dub - Riga - Tbilisi.

Ryanair outbound to Riga on Thursday, everything else with Air Baltic.  Very short layovers in Riga (50 mins) which is a slight concern outbound with different airlines, but by all accounts Riga is excellent for connections.  Air Baltic recommend as little as 30 minutes is ok. https://www.airbaltic.com/en/transferring-riga-airport

Also attractive as I've to get down from Donegal so 17:05 departure from Dublin helps, early morningDublin flight adds another overnight to the trip..

All in around €470 for flights.

Its excellent when your connection is on the one booking. Example, last time Air Baltic had gate details for the connection displayed on the screen on the plane. Then when disembarking they had groundstaff directing you. These are not luxuries you will have with Ryanair. Also, should the Air Baltic first flight be on time, they will not hold their connection for a possibly delayed Ryanair flight.

Yeah have researched it to death and taking calculated risk.  Ryanair being delayed is the risk, but otherwise should be fine.  There's no Air Baltic flight that comes in on the Thurs from Dublin.

There are only about 20 gates and they are all together, so making it to departure gate with boarding pass already printed should be ok otherwise.

I'll wake up in a cold sweat about it plenty of times between now and then though.  Travel insurance and getting next flight on Friday is the worst case scenario!

Edited by Mr_T - 09 Jul 2019 at 3:52pm
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 3:56pm
Is there a confirmed kick off time? All I can find online is 14:00.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 4:00pm
17:00 local time / 14:00 here.
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 4:11pm

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Booked up. Thursday to Sunday via Riga.

Flights worked out a bit more expensive than some but I'm way too long in the tooth for 3 hour bus trips from Kutaisi, multiple connections or 12 hour layovers, especially when flying solo.

Looking forward to it now.

What option did you go for?

Dub - Riga - Tbilisi.

Ryanair outbound to Riga on Thursday, everything else with Air Baltic.  Very short layovers in Riga (50 mins) which is a slight concern outbound with different airlines, but by all accounts Riga is excellent for connections.  Air Baltic recommend as little as 30 minutes is ok. https://www.airbaltic.com/en/transferring-riga-airport

Also attractive as I've to get down from Donegal so 17:05 departure from Dublin helps, early morningDublin flight adds another overnight to the trip..

All in around €470 for flights.

Its excellent when your connection is on the one booking. Example, last time Air Baltic had gate details for the connection displayed on the screen on the plane. Then when disembarking they had groundstaff directing you. These are not luxuries you will have with Ryanair. Also, should the Air Baltic first flight be on time, they will not hold their connection for a possibly delayed Ryanair flight.

Yeah have researched it to death and taking calculated risk.  Ryanair being delayed is the risk, but otherwise should be fine.  There's no Air Baltic flight that comes in on the Thurs from Dublin.

There are only about 20 gates and they are all together, so making it to departure gate with boarding pass already printed should be ok otherwise.

I'll wake up in a cold sweat about it plenty of times between now and then though.  Travel insurance and getting next flight on Friday is the worst case scenario!

That's not a bad worst case scenario. Its a fall-back option that those of us flying on the Friday won't have, although by going through Istanbul I'm hoping it would be possible to get a seat on one of the later flights on Friday night in the event of missing the connection.
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Beats that bus
250 KM or 250,000 KM?

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

17:00 local time / 14:00 here.
Says 18:00 local time in the fixtures thread
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:44pm
UEFA website says 14:00 local time in Ireland.

That's 17:00. UEFA's website is pretty much the best source.
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 9:52pm

Beats that bus

Was thinking of doing the same thing. Did you pre-book it beforehand or just try on the day you arrived? 

There's a couple of companies coming up online but the only one I've heard of is sixt. Prices range from around €40 a day to a few hundred. 
Let Christy Take It.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by tapfit2004 tapfit2004 wrote:

Beats that bus

Was thinking of doing the same thing. Did you pre-book it beforehand or just try on the day you arrived? 

There's a couple of companies coming up online but the only one I've heard of is sixt. Prices range from around €40 a day to a few hundred. 

The bus is about €7 each pp each way. I know driving is quicker and all but the bus and train is way, way cheaper. Driving only makes sense if there are a few of you.

If the train times suit (register & check on tickets.railway.ge) to Samtredia (*not* Kutaisi) or Rioni (though you'd need to pre-order a taxi to get from there to the airport) then go with the train either. First class is grand on the trains.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

We did the train the last time and it was fine.

Think the heavy night drinking in barca bar the night before affected my opinion of the trainLOL
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 171>
  Share Topic