You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Kilkenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 28>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 4:43pm
I dont think there is any chance Kenny decides to play a CB as a defensive midfielder against Portugal. He is going to pick from the players that he has already played there, whether they were amazing successes or not. In my opinion, it would be foolhardy to throw in a kid like Kilkenny for his debut. We might all agree that Hendrick/Horihane/McCarthy havent been very effective for us but in a one off game where we need to keep it tight and nick a nil all draw, their experience at international level will be required.
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 4:46pm
It will be interesting after the game to establish how Hendrick/Hourrihanes international experience actually benefited us.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I dont think there is any chance Kenny decides to play a CB as a defensive midfielder against Portugal. He is going to pick from the players that he has already played there, whether they were amazing successes or not. In my opinion, it would be foolhardy to throw in a kid like Kilkenny for his debut. We might all agree that Hendrick/Horihane/McCarthy havent been very effective for us but in a one off game where we need to keep it tight and nick a nil all draw, their experience at international level will be required.

Experience of what? 

Coleman. That's experience you want.

Playing Hendrick and Hourihane actually handicaps us. I dont get the logic of willingly starting players who are counter productive to how Kenny wants to play. 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

I also think O’Shea has the ability to play in CM. It would be great if either he or Omobamidele can be that big physical presence in the middle. We have a lot of lads around 5 8 / 5 7

I actually think this is spot on at least with O'Shea. Omo has huge potential but he has not proven he is as adaptable as O'Shea has. He has no fear either on the ball. I think a back 5 of Coleman duffy  Egan and Stevens(injured) and O'Shea looks very solid. You just get the sense he would play anywhere well. I do worry it could cost him nailing down starting positions in the prem though.

We need rid of Hourihane and Hendrick from the start. They should basically be 'reliable' bench players going forward. Get our young lads as much top level experience as possible to keep their progressions on track. We need to be a bit ruthless with the older lads who have really under performed

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 2:08pm
Our savior is dropped today.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 3:44pm
WHAT? HE WAS DUE TO START AGAINST PORTUGAL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 3:55pm
Lads getting boners over the misfortune of an Irish player. Weirdos
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

What are ye doing watching lads getting boners?
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

What are ye doing watching lads getting boners?

Thumbs Up own your shame. Drag them down to your way of thinking. I much prefer to be right in life says he. Clap 

Billy's getting too big for his boots. Need to take him down a notch or two before he gets notions. I never had the privilege of getting notions, nor will he. 

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 5:15pm
I presume it's sarcasm but the posts are strange! No one said he was the saviour I certainly don't think anyone said he should play against Portugal! 

They said he should be called into the squad off the back of impressing in one of the top teams in the Championship! Considering our midfield options which include Arter playing kids football and going on loan to Charlton in League 1 Hourihane Molumby lads that werent playing it was hardly a wild shout

He was dropped to the bench today and seemingly it was quite evident as they lacked a bit of creativity in midfield! 

Edited by kevin100 - 28 Aug 2021 at 5:16pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 5:46pm
You killed Kilkenny! You bastards!
EdisonCavani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 5:51pm
I’m sure he will playing in Bosnia on Friday so let’s see how he gets on at that level.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I presume it's sarcasm but the posts are strange! No one said he was the saviour I certainly don't think anyone said he should play against Portugal! 

They said he should be called into the squad off the back of impressing in one of the top teams in the Championship! Considering our midfield options which include Arter playing kids football and going on loan to Charlton in League 1 Hourihane Molumby lads that werent playing it was hardly a wild shout

He was dropped to the bench today and seemingly it was quite evident as they lacked a bit of creativity in midfield! 

Just have a read back of some of the comments made on the match thread and the ridiculous stuff being posted on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Hes the new Wes Hoolahan or Andy Reid the way people are going on about him. Calling for Kennys head and such because he left the chap out the same way Trap and MON were. Hes play 5 league games in his entire career FFS!

Most of the comments are people losing their mind about Arter being in the squad and Kilkenny not. Same as when Whelan was picked and Hoolahan wasnt. Goes to show how uneducated some football fans are when they dont know the difference between a holding DM and ball playing creative CM / AM.

Kilkenny is a great talent and prospect and probably should be in/around the senior squad for experience but hes better off with the u21s for now if it means hes going to be playing rather than sitting on the bench with the seniors.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 7:15pm

Just have a read back of some of the comments made on the match thread and the ridiculous stuff being posted on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Hes the new Wes Hoolahan or Andy Reid the way people are going on about him. Calling for Kennys head and such because he left the chap out the same way Trap and MON were. Hes play 5 league games in his entire career FFS!

Most of the comments are people losing their mind about Arter being in the squad and Kilkenny not. Same as when Whelan was picked and Hoolahan wasnt. Goes to show how uneducated some football fans are when they dont know the difference between a holding DM and ball playing creative CM / AM.

Kilkenny is a great talent and prospect and probably should be in/around the senior squad for experience but hes better off with the u21s for now if it means hes going to be playing rather than sitting on the bench with the seniors.

Be careful. You'll pull a muscle if you reach any more. 
DR.HUGO View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DR.HUGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 7:20pm
Kilkenny most likely rested he played midweek while others were rested....is travers injured as he wasn’t starting or on the bench.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 7:21pm
Bandwagon, it didnt have to be 'either/or' when it came to Kilkenny and Arter. Both could have been selected, and as an alternative off the bench over three matches.

I think it is myopic to basically shrug shoulders and say that Arter can play as a CDM, and is the only option to back-up Cullen. Thinking outside the box might have Coleman act as the anchor there, or leverage what we know about Dara O'Shea. Its a bit like how Austria didnt originally use Alaba as a LB. They saw his quality, and made him the fulcrum of the team. That doesnt always work, but it is a measured approach that doesnt view players as being unable to play more than one role.

There was a major difference with Whelan in that he was originally re-selected by MM as he was heavily involved in a. high flying Villa team gunning for promotion before moving to Hearts. On paper, the selection was not unreasonable. But was a legitimate alternative when James McCarthy was finally returning from almost two years of injury, Meyler had retired, and Rice had left the set-up.
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 7:26pm
I did feel the reaction to his first 3 league games ever was a bit giddy on here. It's understandable, we're at a low ebb and are looking for a lift. It was likely that, when fit, Pearson (an experienced, high quality championship midfielder) and Lerma (Colombian international) would come back into the side. His size and lack of physicality is real challenge for him in centre mid. Let's see how he does over the season.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 7:47pm

Ahh yeah naturally to an extent fans are going to get excited but thats cause he was showing quality Bournemouth fans as much if not more so then Irish fans to my eyes! He's promising yes I don't think anyone had him down as the saviour of Irish football. 

Kilkenny was occupying a deep lying midfield role the last few weeks and his ball playing ability it looks like he could be tailor made for the way Kenny wants to play! 

My reading was he should have been called up would I play him against Portugal no but he had warranted a call up for sure! Bournemouth felt his absence today real lack of ball playing ability in midfield! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 28>
  Share Topic