Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Bazunu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 103>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 11:02pm
He’ll still be Ireland number 1 even if that doomsday scenario happens and he joins Kelleher in sitting on the bench every week 
Sponsored Links

Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

He’ll still be Ireland number 1 even if that doomsday scenario happens and he joins Kelleher in sitting on the bench every week 

Disagree.  This race has yet to be run. Who will ultimately be #1 is anybody's guess.  Anyone that says otherwise at this point, clearly has a horse in the race.  
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 9:15am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Would someone tell that dopey BBC commentator (think it was Steve Bower) for future reference that it's Bazunu, not Bazuno. ClownLOL

This has been driving me mad on MOTD. How can he pronounce the first u properly and then the second as an o? Makes no sense. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 4:48am
Irish commentators get it wrong enough times too; Bazuna, etc.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 4:05pm
He was good today
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 4:12pm
Watched the game he was very good today arguably Southamptons best player. Southampton are so open defensively for a team defending a 1-0 lead it was embarrassing how open they were at times. 

Worry long term is Hassenhuttl gets the sack. Need to beat Bournemouth Wednesday night I think. Bazunu getting incredible exposure at such a young age.

Edited by kevin100 - 16 Oct 2022 at 4:13pm
Block301 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Block301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Originally posted by Block301 Block301 wrote:

He's ranked as the 3rd best PL GK this season so far, statistically speaking.

He's not ranked as the third best keeper - that list is sorted alphabetically...

It's not entirely clear what one stat you'd use to determine who's performing best.   Possibly PSxG, although I'm not sure where -2.5 goals comes from as the stats show he's conceded 11 against an xG of 7.5, so that should be -3.5?   Maybe it's only counting xG from shots on target - if that's what it is, then only Danny Ward at Leicester (-6.1) is doing worse this season.

Also, I don't agree Bazunu did nothing wrong for the first Armenia goal.   If you look at the replay looking down the pitch from behind the Armenia goal (on the RTÉ Twitter feed), you can see that when the first shot is sent in, Bazunu's footwork is nil.   He had time to take a step to the right and give himself an easier save wide, but instead he delays and then dives, so starting from a worse position, with the result that he can only touch the ball onto the post, and we know what happened from there.

There were others to blame for the goal too - as is often the way - but Bazunu was definitely at fault.

He's only 20 of course and still learning.   But let's not be completely blinded for that.

It's not based on that rank. It's based on all of the criteria, which you have to interpret yourself. I interpreted it as 3rd, but he was actually ranked 5th at the time of the tweet below.

https://twitter.com/jhdharrison1/status/1575890497834319874 - https://twitter.com/jhdharrison1/status/1575890497834319874

I completely disagree on the 1st goal. You can nitpick at any goal if you're looking to find reasons to criticise. The 2nd was a bad error, and that warrants criticism. 

This forum seems to take joy in picking on Bazunu. Either Liverpool fans or Cork natives... meh.
You didn't interpret it as third. You just didn't realise it was sorted in alphabetical order. I mean, on what basis in that list do you think he's third?

And you're wrong about the first goal v Armenia - footwork is vital for a keeper and his lack of any footwork was a big factor in that goal, as the replay I cited shows. You're free to give a counter analysis if you want (but you didn't)

He's getting great experience at Southampton and I think it's a brave but correct move to leave Man City - and I'd like Kelleher to follow suit tbh. But that doesn't mean we can't correct misread tables or flag errors.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 8:10pm
Bazunu already pulling off good saves tonight. He hasn't been perfect as to be expected but allowing for that you see a few Southampton fans pinning their clean sheet woes on him and they must be smoking fair greenery while watching the games!

Could drive a bus through Southamptons rear guard just hoping Bournemouth lack the quality to make use of it and they sneak a win they need. 

Edited by kevin100 - 19 Oct 2022 at 8:12pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 9:33pm
Southampton have been hopeless defensively all season. When I saw them play Wolves earlier in the season Gavin did a lot of sweeping up as they left so many gaps the world's best goalie would struggle for clean sheets in that so called "defensive shape".
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 9:41pm
Clean sheet for Baz

Planning will be desolate 
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 9:48pm

Clean sheet for Baz

LOL
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 9:51pm
I almost jinxed him by the sounds of it apparently dropped the ball late on was bailed out by his defenders! 

Deserved a bit of luck mind huge in the sense Hassenhuttl has a bit of breathing space now (important for Gav) and Bazunu will get confidence from the clean sheet. 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 9:59pm
One wobbly moment at the end but was good apart from that. Last club of the 92 to get a clean sheetCool
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 10:35pm

Clean sheet for Baz

What are you talking about sure Kelleher also had a clean sheet tonight
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Clean sheet for Baz

What are you talking about sure Kelleher also had a clean sheet tonight

Yet to concede a goal and undefeated all season, our true no.1
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 12:07am

He's ranked as the 3rd best PL GK this season so far, statistically speaking.

He's not ranked as the third best keeper - that list is sorted alphabetically...

It's not entirely clear what one stat you'd use to determine who's performing best.   Possibly PSxG, although I'm not sure where -2.5 goals comes from as the stats show he's conceded 11 against an xG of 7.5, so that should be -3.5?   Maybe it's only counting xG from shots on target - if that's what it is, then only Danny Ward at Leicester (-6.1) is doing worse this season.

Also, I don't agree Bazunu did nothing wrong for the first Armenia goal.   If you look at the replay looking down the pitch from behind the Armenia goal (on the RTÉ Twitter feed), you can see that when the first shot is sent in, Bazunu's footwork is nil.   He had time to take a step to the right and give himself an easier save wide, but instead he delays and then dives, so starting from a worse position, with the result that he can only touch the ball onto the post, and we know what happened from there.

There were others to blame for the goal too - as is often the way - but Bazunu was definitely at fault.

He's only 20 of course and still learning.   But let's not be completely blinded for that.

It's not based on that rank. It's based on all of the criteria, which you have to interpret yourself. I interpreted it as 3rd, but he was actually ranked 5th at the time of the tweet below.

https://twitter.com/jhdharrison1/status/1575890497834319874 - https://twitter.com/jhdharrison1/status/1575890497834319874

I completely disagree on the 1st goal. You can nitpick at any goal if you're looking to find reasons to criticise. The 2nd was a bad error, and that warrants criticism. 

This forum seems to take joy in picking on Bazunu. Either Liverpool fans or Cork natives... meh.
You didn't interpret it as third. You just didn't realise it was sorted in alphabetical order. I mean, on what basis in that list do you think he's third?

And you're wrong about the first goal v Armenia - footwork is vital for a keeper and his lack of any footwork was a big factor in that goal, as the replay I cited shows. You're free to give a counter analysis if you want (but you didn't)

He's getting great experience at Southampton and I think it's a brave but correct move to leave Man City - and I'd like Kelleher to follow suit tbh. But that doesn't mean we can't correct misread tables or flag errors.

Based on the entire range of data. Not just goals against or clean sheets, which most casuals will judge a GK on. Ederson will regularly win Golden Glove awards, despite being inferior to Alisson overall.

A modern GK has to be proactive. Sweeper actions, high claims, shot stopping, passing accuracy, etc.

As I pointed out, an actual data analyst ranked him as 5th. I owned that error, thanks.

I didn't say you couldn't. I just think you're being harsh on him for that particular goal. I'd like Kelleher to move back to Cork, but that's just me. Each to their own.
Block301 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Block301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 11:59am

Based on the entire range of data. Not just goals against or clean sheets, which most casuals will judge a GK on. Ederson will regularly win Golden Glove awards, despite being inferior to Alisson overall.

A modern GK has to be proactive. Sweeper actions, high claims, shot stopping, passing accuracy, etc.

As I pointed out, an actual data analyst ranked him as 5th. I owned that error, thanks.

I didn't say you couldn't. I just think you're being harsh on him for that particular goal. I'd like Kelleher to move back to Cork, but that's just me. Each to their own.
Based on what parts of the data in particular though?   You can't just dump a table of data and say "Ah sure it's all in there somewhere" and then talk about what a modern keeper has to be.   I asked why you think that table says he's third statistically when one of the most important metrics - how many goals he's conceded versus expected - has him second last.

Bottom line here - you didn't realise it was sorted alphabetically.

Also, I'm not being harsh for the goal.   It was a team effort for sure, but part of that was no footwork for the original shot from 25+ yards out, which means instead of touching the ball wide, he could only put it onto the post.   You keep ignoring that fairly big fact.

Anyways, well done to him on the clean sheet.   Granted, it's only Bournemouth, but it has to give a feel-good factor if nothing else.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 3:54pm
Was excellent today, looked every part a Premier League quality goalkeeper.

Kept them in it in the first half when they were under the cosh and they wouldn't have still been in the game to get an equaliser without his earlier saves.

Edited by You Tell Me - 23 Oct 2022 at 3:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 103>
  Share Topic