You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Bazunu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 106>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

He's one of the big reasons for the teams change in form imo.  Like Cantona coming into the Utd team when he came into our team he had confidence, presence and a swagger that rubbed off on others.  His ability is top class and just having someone like that in the team makes you have self belief.

Best keeper in the world in 5 yrs time.

This you?

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

considering the mess he inherited and the politics and financial goings on that were happening in the organisation and the politics and the different sections in the game holding on to power I think his 8 years should be considered a partial success and there is more to do which should be easier for his replacement.  

Not sure.  Who has come through in that period of time?  Nobody of real pedigree.

That’s a weird argument. We’ve haven’t had a better crop of youngsters coming through in about 20 years. Dokter would have been targeted with bringing through their generation and beyond. He wasn’t asked to take the job and produce senior internationals the next day. 

Nonsense.  Liam Miller, Andy Reid, Stephen Ireland, Anthony Stokes, Seamus Coleman, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long etc all much better than the current crop.

We will be lucky if any of our current crop play premier league football for more than a fleeting few months here and there.

Likely none of them will be good enough to be premier league regulars
El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:43pm
I was clearly talking about outfield players but sure have your poke
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:43pm
You're in for it McH!
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 3:33pm

Why would you only have been talking about outfield players? The GK role is the most important on the pitch. Anyway, the point I was making in the other thread was about some of the talent coming through which may have been helped by Dokter. He was an instigator of the underage LOI set up, of which Bazunu is a product.  Rovers have also profited to a record level from his sale. It could be just coincidence of course and Bazunu might have come through without the LOI underage system. Anyway, I just thought I'd pull you up Big smile
I'll be back next time one of the other youngsters does something good 
El Puto Amo
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 3:35pm

LOL
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

You're in for it McH!

LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 3:38pm

Why would you only have been talking about outfield players? The GK role is the most important on the pitch. Anyway, the point I was making in the other thread was about some of the talent coming through which may have been helped by Dokter. He was an instigator of the underage LOI set up, of which Bazunu is a product.  Rovers have also profited to a record level from his sale. It could be just coincidence of course and Bazunu might have come through without the LOI underage system. Anyway, I just thought I'd pull you up Big smile

Sleepy

How many came through when there was basically no system?  Paul McGrath, Ronnie Whelan....  Top talent will emerge regardless.

Currently the outfield players coming through are bog standard if that.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:06pm

Sleepy

How many came through when there was basically no system?  Paul McGrath, Ronnie Whelan....  Top talent will emerge regardless.

Lets use your example. Where was McGrath at age 20? 
And where was Roy Keane at age 19?
Were they ready made global superstars?

You have no idea where the current crop of talent will end up. Some won't be playing football in 5 years, some might get a decent career in the lower leagues but I bet there will be a couple of high end Premier League players.
El Puto Amo
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:12pm

Sleepy

You have no idea where the current crop of talent will end up. Some won't be playing football in 5 years, some might get a decent career in the lower leagues but I bet there will be a couple of high end Premier League players.

Agreed, the law of averages alone given the sheer number of young talented Irish players aged 18-23 should ensure at least a couple (and hopefully many more) go on to have decent Premier League careers.
Idah Dream!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:52pm

Sleepy

The LOI isn't a system is it? It's a league.  It wasn't in them days.  McGrath made it on talent alone.
Keane was self made also and the only 'system' he came through was that FAS course.  Yeah they got coaching from their underage managers but it wasn't an academy type system designed to develop top class footballers.   Like I said before.  We need 3 Champions League players.  Having some lad break into the team at Burnley for a few games is not developing top players.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:58pm

So we used to punt a heap of kids to England, stick them in the meat grinder and hope a Liam Brady would emerge from the 100's who went across. That was the previous "system". Let's go back to that?

Why stop at 3 Champions League players? If you still have that genies bottle handy and havent used up all the wishes, let's make it 8 Champions League players. 

You willfully missed my point on McGrath and Keane. They were older than most of the lads, who you have written off as journeymen of the future, when they broke through in England and made an impact. My main point is that we can't write EVERYONE off before they have even had a chance 
El Puto Amo
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 8:52am
By accident or not the standard of the LOI has improved and is improving. In the last few years there has been a massive influx of youth into the LOI. For a long time it was full of seasoned pro's. 

The National Leagues at underage level are definitely having an affect. That is not to say they are perfect but they are certainly better than the previous set up. Creating full time academies in the regions is the next logical step along with integration to schools system.

for LOI clubs they should be linking up with Third level institutions.

The ban on players going across until they are 18 will also add to the improvement. 

Would be interesting to see what an academy costs per year. How many age groups, coaches, medical etc are required. What resources can be pooled and what is a must have for each. You would think that if they had a detailed blueprint there would be people to fund it between Govt/Sponsors/philanthropists. We are a small country so the overall cost would not be huge and it would be a very good thing for a Corporation to have their name attached to. 

It's not me it's you:-)
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:03am
That's spot on Abu. I'd imagine the info is out there with regards to what an Academy costs. There are a number of league of ireland clubs running underage teams, so they should be able to provide the FAI with the info on how many coaches they need, how many full/part time staff are required, costs for admin, travel etc...

The onus has to be on the FAI to make a case for establishing an academy within every LOI club, and then find a way to help fund this. I am not sure how a regional academy will work as players would need to be training there a few days/nights a week, also training with their LOI clubs and presumably playing schools soccer too. That's too much. Perhaps have a regional academy in an area where there isnt a LOI club (Kerry, Tipperary for example) but mostly I think it has to be done via the clubs
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:53am

I heard someone say that the way to lean on the government is to provide high class shared sporting campuses built in large schools or colleges. So the schools/ universities/ colleges have day time access to the astro/ floodlights/ gyms/ grass pitches but don't have ownership and it is mandatory that they are shared with local soccer, GAA, rugby teams etc in the evenings and weekends. 
That's a bit like the American model where a lot of high schools have facilities far beyond the reach of most LOI clubs. 
El Puto Amo
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:56am
Unless it's UCD where they will knock it down and build a car park.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:59am

So we used to punt a heap of kids to England, stick them in the meat grinder and hope a Liam Brady would emerge from the 100's who went across. That was the previous "system". Let's go back to that?

Why stop at 3 Champions League players? If you still have that genies bottle handy and havent used up all the wishes, let's make it 8 Champions League players. 

You willfully missed my point on McGrath and Keane. They were older than most of the lads, who you have written off as journeymen of the future, when they broke through in England and made an impact. My main point is that we can't write EVERYONE off before they have even had a chance 

This is it what the Brexit rule stops is the 95 of the 100 who aren't a standout getting sent to the slaughterhouse. They can stay here potentially break into a first team in one of the 20 clubs around in Ireland and play men's football learn their trade. 

You don't build a solid international team by praying for 2/3 CL players and hoping for the best you build one by maximising your player pool and developing a squad of real solid PL/Championship players. Our lack of League and English football being a slaughterhouse for young players meant we were minimising it. 

That's not to say we haven't got 4/5 young lads with that CL standard potential now we definitely do.

Particularly our volume of decent attacking players suffered from this the likes of Kenny or Burns are miles better off staying here playing regularly learn thier trade then going to England to rot in a U23 team.

Edited by kevin100 - 18 Nov 2021 at 12:01pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

This is it what the Brexit rule stops is the 95 of the 100 who aren't a standout getting sent to the slaughterhouse. They can stay here potentially break into a first team in one of the 20 clubs around in Ireland and play men's football learn their trade. 

You don't build a solid international team by praying for 2/3 CL players and hoping for the best you build one by maximising your player pool and developing a squad of real solid PL/Championship players. Our lack of League and English football being a slaughterhouse for young players meant we were minimising it. 

That's not to say we haven't got 4/5 young lads with that CL standard potential now we definitely do.

Particularly our volume of decent attacking players suffered from this the likes of Kenny or Burns are miles better off staying here playing regularly learn thier trade then going to England to rot in a U23 team.

Who do you think?   I can see Bazuno or Kelleher but we need outfield players playing at that level particularly midfielders and strikers.

I have not seen any standout player coming through.  Maybe yer man Zefi has the best chance but he still has a long long way to go and for all we know never even make it like Conor Clifford. 

Duff and the two Keanes were obviously top players in their first season. When a player has top quality it stands out a mile.  Bazunu for example has put in some unreal saves and performances already and all in his first few games for Ireland and hes only 19!  That's a sign this guy is top level. 

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 12:31pm

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Who do you think?   I can see Bazuno or Kelleher but we need outfield players playing at that level particularly midfielders and strikers.

I have not seen any standout player coming through.  Maybe yer man Zefi has the best chance but he still has a long long way to go and for all we know never even make it like Conor Clifford. 

Duff and the two Keanes were obviously top players in their first season. When a player has top quality it stands out a mile.  Bazunu for example has put in some unreal saves and performances already and all in his first few games for Ireland and hes only 19!  That's a sign this guy is top level. 

Bazunu and Kelleher for sure would be top of the list. Travers may well be playing PL football at 23 next year for a keeper by any standard that's fairly rare and bodes very well for him with a view to getting a move to a Top 6/7 club down the line or a CL club on the continent. Our goalkeeping situation is just freakish for a small country of our size. 

Omobamidele and Collins. Can you find me 2 CBs 19 and 20 that have gotten PL minutes this season. Both lads have considerable potential especially in the modern game where bigger clubs are crying out for top CBs

Knight I think has plenty potential also shows real quality. 

As for Bazunu your going back to Robbie Keane really to find a player who just shows what you would describe as unique ability by any standard in World football. Last teen to play a competive qualifier in goal was Oblak for context. 

Even Duff for all I'm sure he was class played for Blackburn in the Championship in his early 20s.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 106>
  Share Topic