You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gambling problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 4:12pm
Good luck ringerbell, it took great willpower to go a year without placing a bet.

I am sure you will get through this.
daffyp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daffyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Cheers everyone good to see people willing to help me. I feel so bad about it that this time I'm determined to give it up for good. Will keep yous updated on how it going

Bet ya a fiver you cant do it manWink

Nah only messing man fair play to you for coming and admitting it, iv been working in the game for 8 years and people are fooling themselves if they think they are beating the bookies or even level with them. if you go into a bookies or listen to a few of the experts on here they'd be able tell you when a horse last had a sh*te, while also claiming they turn a profit every year. id go as far to say there's not more than 100 people in this country that make a yearly profit, and they are obviously professional gamblers.

anyways keep it up and knock it on the headThumbs Up
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 6:38pm
I had a minor gambling addiction per say, I'd spend hours every day in the bookies when I was out of work going back a few years ago. Now, while gambling wasn't always on mind when I went home, if I had money on my online I could bet on anything too.

For luck I was never a huge gambler, most of my bets were under the €20/€30 mark aside from some big bets on the likes of a Gold Cup, Champions League Final etc.

I'd have a huge knowledge of football and though I can beat the bookies, my horse knowledge was really vast too (not anymore) but still I found myself never having any luck. So around 13/14 months ago, I said f**k it. No more gambling, unless I was going to throw a small bet on something I really fancied.

No word of a lie, since January 2013 i'd say iv'e had no more than 10 bets & when I do bet, I actually enjoy it and its a great feeling. As i'm in full control of the amounts of money I'm putting on and I find myself backing what I want too, a gambling addict often bets on anything just to feel that thrill.

The first step is addmitting it, so you're on the right track.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 6:44pm
Best of luck Ringerbell

Wouldn't be a big gambler myself. Would have a small bet on the Irish and English Grand Nationals and maybe the odd bet at Cheltenham. Would have a bet on the Masters and British Open and then an outright bet when the Euros/WC is on.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 6:57pm
Very Brave and wise posting it on here Ringerbell, some good advice already given, Stick with it and Hope it goes wellThumbs Up
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 7:00pm
Hope it all goes well, never had a problem with this, but used to smoke myself and hated it and know the feeling off wanting to stop, and feels like you cant.But stick at it and use the advice the lads have given you here.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 7:51pm
Best of luck ringerbell. You will be grand I'm sure
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Best of luck ringerbell. You will be grand I'm sure
good oul Irishism
Top man is Ringer,best of luck kid
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Very Brave and wise posting it on here Ringerbell, some good advice already given, Stick with it and Hope it goes wellThumbs Up
What he said. I know a share of lads that have gambling problems and their whole life revolves around it and they do nothing about it. Good luck with it lad
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 9:16pm
I was warned off it when I was 16. Has been some serious gamblers in my family, massive sums of money at stake so the mother always kept me straight. Id throw a bet on the World Cup/Euros for an interest in other games and Id put a bet on a League of Ireland or a Leinster Senior League/AUL game if I have the inside info but I don't think Ive ever better over 20 quid. Few of my mates are now betting ridiculous sums of money (in my eyes) and posting winning dockets to Facebook (which infuriates me). I genuinely wonder how much they are losing.

Best of luck Ringer, not an easy thing to admit
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 9:26pm
Ringer it sounds like you are in more control than you may believe.  Well done on your confession and best of luck. 
Jackthelad View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 9:36pm
Ringerbell you'll know yourself whats best to do from here but you may be able to learn this hard lesson all by yourself.
Lots of good advice on here, fair play to the lads.
I've had issues myself in the past and come out the other side (I think!) so don't beat yourself up, this week could be the making of ya.
Oh Poland we loved you.....
GarageFlower View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarageFlower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Very Brave and wise posting it on here Ringerbell, some good advice already given, Stick with it rand Hope it goes wellThumbs Up
Brian was spot on .Brave and wise move Ringer!Keep the faith and you'll come out the other side...you're posts suggest you a smart lad(bar the Donegal ones)We all have our struggles in life but you've made a smart move on this and the lads here will support you...some sound advice given.
Heskey..Zorro..The match is Tomorrow!!                      She loves Cox!She loves Cox!!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 12:21am
Ringer, very brave to post on here. Clap

Don't bottle it up and don't blame yourself either. Tell your family what has happened, tell your sister and tell her the money is on the way. Your family love you and they will be there to help. There might be anger at first but it comes from a good place.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 1:52am
Fair play Ringer.best of luck .
I would say gambling addiction is worse than drink but doesn't get the same coverage.huge problem in Ireland.
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Few of my mates are now betting ridiculous sums of money (in my eyes) and posting winning dockets to Facebook (which infuriates me). I genuinely wonder how much they are losing.

This absolute does my head in, have said it to a friend of mine to post up the docket of what he loses, never has unfortunately.

Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

As some of yous might know I decided back at end of last year to stop gambling. This was because I realised I was betting money I couldn't really afford to lose and this was affecting those around me. I didn't seek any outside help for this and just cancelled accounts etc and wasnt finding it as hard as I expected it to be.

That was until this week. With the hype around Cheltenham I found myself setting up new accounts etc and have been betting away with no real thought on what else I could do with the money. That was until today when I spent money I owed my sister and now I feel really bad about everything and realise I might need to get some help on this issue after I see how easy I slipped right back into it. Wondering if anyone has any info on people who deal with this type of addition

I count myself lucky. I almost got sucked into an addiction with gambling around 2011, on accumalators especially. My late uncle had a great interest in horse racing and betting but it never passed onto me. Strangely enough after he passed away, I stopped my betting and have never looked back since. No real connection between the two but maybe it took a life changing event like that was for me to realise what was more important. I only hope its the same for you to lad.

I would echo what SuperDave has said, your family will understand. Sure they may not be happy for a start but they won't let that stop them from supporting and helping you through this, especially if you want to make that effort yourself.

It has taken massive courage to post up here for a start. I would think its a big step alone to admitto your family, but a forum is another step up altogether. Thankfully judging from the posts on this thread so far, posters here understand too Thumbs Up

Best of luck with it lad, you will have plenty of support no matter how tough it gets!
londonirish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 1:15pm
Top man, very brave and nothing to be ashamed off. Good luck and keep talking to people as it will help. Hiding addiction is the biggest mistake people can make
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 1:49pm
Fair play ringer, all the best. Seeing you have a problem and seeking help is a great start for ya anyway. I know a couple of lads at home who could do with seeking help also but they can't see it themselves
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
  Share Topic