Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Galway United fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 1:05pm
Gift grub was good this morning

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Sponsored Links

Tribesman91 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribesman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:32pm
People saying that Co-Op only being formed this year and sold out after only 6 months isn't entirely true. Utd supporters organised themselves many years ago. Galway Utd Independent Supporters Association was formed around 20 years ago. This group changed their name to Galway Utd Supporters Trust probably ten years ago. This became the Galway Utd Friends Co-Op a few years ago. The Co-Op owned 25% of GUFC along with the Galway FA, Mervue Utd and Salthill Devon. The other three stakeholders left the club which meant the Co-Op owned 100% of GUFC. The Galway sporting public have never shown enough interest to recruit more than 100 or so members. This is not enough to sustain a professional club. Investment was badly needed. Don't care if the investors are Arabs or from Aran, the club wouldn't have survived for much longer without investment. The Co-Op still owns 25% of the club, that's good enough for me 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 7:01am
Have to agree with TJ , Tommy and Tribes .

This is the way forward , I would take a roll of the dice than what we have at the moment to be very honest .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 9:27am
It is really dis-heartening to see LOI fans happy to take this gamble knowing so little about who they a selling out too, sadly I fear it's very likely you'll all be ex-LOI fans soon. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 9:29am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

It is really dis-heartening to see LOI fans happy to take this gamble knowing so little about who they a selling out too, sadly I fear it's very likely you'll all be ex-LOI fans soon. 

I think the point they are making is that they were going to be Ex-LOI fans anyways so what is there to lose. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I think the point they are making is that they were going to be Ex-LOI fans anyways so what is there to lose. 

Galway are one of the biggest teams in the first division and have decent attendances. I don't and won't believe that it's impossible to run a sustainable fan owned club in Galway that would guarantee the future of senior football in the City. If anything it seems like laziness to me on the part of the trust in promoting it's benefits and broadening it's appeal. Worst of all though is the complete the lack of knowledge United fans have about their potential investor before they voted away control is crazy. 

I'll leave alone now as I'll only be talking in circles and I think I've exhausted my argument against this deal. It's a real pity that it has come to the point were trustees feel there is no other option.  
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 9:55am
I think you are spot on there. I can't help but think 'f**k them' now.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:15am
Galway Utd have to pay rent as they dont own Terryland/Deacy Park
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:26am

Galway are one of the biggest teams in the first division and have decent attendances. I don't and won't believe that it's impossible to run a sustainable fan owned club in Galway that would guarantee the future of senior football in the City. If anything it seems like laziness to me on the part of the trust in promoting it's benefits and broadening it's appeal. Worst of all though is the complete the lack of knowledge United fans have about their potential investor before they voted away control is crazy. 

I'll leave alone now as I'll only be talking in circles and I think I've exhausted my argument against this deal. It's a real pity that it has come to the point were trustees feel there is no other option.  

If we’re a lazy bunch of fools how come we Stepped in and ran the club in 2011 financing it mainly from our own pockets when the board ran for the hills. You haven’t a clue about the hurdles we have to jump just to get back in and then have to work with stakeholders who didn’t invest a red cent in the club and who disappeared at the start of last season when the solidarity payments dried up. A co op with 107 members isn’t sustainable to run a club especially as its left to four volunteers to effectively run the club.

It’s not been a mere number of months it’s been 10 yrs of hell for about 15 people to keep the dream alive.thr decision on Monday was not taken lightly and the co op will not be walking away we hope to be able to increase the membership and keep the new owners in check while being ready to step in if and when the investors want to leave.

Y
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

If we’re a lazy bunch of fools how come we Stepped in and ran the club in 2011 financing it mainly from our own pockets when the board ran for the hills. You haven’t a clue about the hurdles we have to jump just to get back in and then have to work with stakeholders who didn’t invest a red cent in the club and who disappeared at the start of last season when the solidarity payments dried up. A co op with 107 members isn’t sustainable to run a club especially as its left to four volunteers to effectively run the club.

It’s not been a mere number of months it’s been 10 yrs of hell for about 15 people to keep the dream alive.thr decision on Monday was not taken lightly and the co op will not be walking away we hope to be able to increase the membership and keep the new owners in check while being ready to step in if and when the investors want to leave.

Y

I am very aware of the history and it was my main point as to how baffling this decision is to me.  

As for the decision not being taken lightly that may be true for some but what I keep seeing is people with no clue of what's coming in willing to gamble the future of the club on a pipe dream. I've already given the quotes and referenced Johnny Ward's blasé attitude to the vote, this is what I find so frustrating.   
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:14pm
we were briefed for over an hour at the meeting and then had questions from the floor for 40 mins so we know exactly what’s on the table . Some of the figures were not disclosed  as they were commercially sensitive and given the way the news was leaked in the first place everyone was happy with this. The underage system is seen by them as the future of the club and that’s why they will invest in that straightaway along with the first team. Their initial investment is seperate from the salaries they will be paying the new full time positions they will be filling. 

Edited by gufct - 22 Jun 2018 at 1:27pm
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Steve Shrewd View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Shrewd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 9:15am
Jim McGuinness being linked with the Galway job
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 9:47am
Jim McGuinness being linked with the Galway United job 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

The Donegal GAA fella that did a bit of fitness coaching for Lenny at Celtic?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 10:24am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

The Donegal GAA fella that did a bit of fitness coaching for Lenny at Celtic?

The very man
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 10:25am
Jesus! Is Mick O'Dwyer being linked too?
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 10:56am
Need just to get someone in until the end of the season , then start with a new coach next season .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 11:02am
Then why get in a well-known name with little knowledge, as far as I am aware, of the sport? They may as well appoint Neil Francis or Pete Taylor.
There must be some good sh*t going around Galway at the moment!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
  Share Topic