You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Galway United fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

The club was going nowhere to be fair.  They couldn't afford to sack the manager (until now) and results have been awful and Galway werent going to make the playoffs which would have been a bit of a joke.  this is a great opportunity, not saying there arent risks, but what was the alternative?  Wasting away in the lower half of the 1st division or getting relegated every other year?    Galway could potentially win the LOI in a few years if the investment comes in.  Galway Utd have 2 trophies to their name and are the unwanted bastard son of Galway while the golden child Connacht Rugby gets all the publicity and investment.  Galway Utd doesn't currently have a training pitch and is getting kicked off training pitches here and there.  Now there will be a training ground and investment in underage football.

Worst case scenario the club starts again.  I personally think the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Disagree with all this and would hope they are denied a license to re-enter when they go bust. We don't need that level irresponsibility in the league. Galway fans would have done well to think of the years they had no club to support when voting last night. 

Galway are down one year and fan owned for six months. A pathetic capitulation, it was a bit hard so they gave up.

Would ya go away and sh*te. LOL
The Saudis were putting more money on the table than anything the club had dreamed of. 

500k? Hardly worth throwing away your club for. Anyway I suspect you just don't get it. It's desperate and lazy.  
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:25pm
Its 500,000 immediately with more to follow. 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:28pm

That's good to hear, we're still waiting on a 20k seater stadium in Cork LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:30pm

Cork is a football city.  Galway isn't.  A co-op works better in Cork

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:34pm

I meant that we were promised things by a shady investor group before including a 20k seater stadium. Cork is historically not a football city, football is popular there now due to the tremendous effort of the trust, volunteers, players and staff in reaching out to the community and engaging young families through schools, summer camps, competitions etc. These things don't happen overnight. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:40pm

I meant that we were promised things by a shady investor group before including a 20k seater stadium. Cork is historically not a football city, football is popular there now due to the tremendous effort of the trust, volunteers, players and staff in reaching out to the community and engaging young families through schools, summer camps, competitions etc. These things don't happen overnight. 

Cork is a garrison city with a much bigger population and a stronger football tradition. Look at the amount of cork players to play for Ireland over the years. How many has Galway produced?  There's your answer.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:48pm

Cork is a garrison city with a much bigger population and a stronger football tradition. Look at the amount of cork players to play for Ireland over the years. How many has Galway produced?  There's your answer.

Ignoring the first part I accept your point that Galway is less developed a football city that Cork. I under no circumstances think that the correct way to grow football in the region is to sell up one of our few remaining fan owned clubs to shady investors about who information is extremely limited. 

If as I suspect this period of foreign investment ends in tears the merger of clubs and FAI in 2020 should look into minimum fan ownership. 
Padraig View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 5:32pm

The club was going nowhere to be fair.  They couldn't afford to sack the manager (until now) and results have been awful and Galway werent going to make the playoffs which would have been a bit of a joke.  this is a great opportunity, not saying there arent risks, but what was the alternative?  Wasting away in the lower half of the 1st division or getting relegated every other year?    Galway could potentially win the LOI in a few years if the investment comes in.  Galway Utd have 2 trophies to their name and are the unwanted bastard son of Galway while the golden child Connacht Rugby gets all the publicity and investment.  Galway Utd doesn't currently have a training pitch and is getting kicked off training pitches here and there.  Now there will be a training ground and investment in underage football.

Worst case scenario the club starts again.  I personally think the benefits far outweigh the risks.
What training ground are you talking about? Where will it be? There was the possibility of a training ground in Ballybane before there was any talk of investors. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Padraig Padraig wrote:

What training ground are you talking about? Where will it be? There was the possibility of a training ground in Ballybane before there was any talk of investors. 

It is their plan to buy a training ground.   The current situation is there is no training ground nor likely to be.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 1:13am
Galway will never be a football city if you keep selling it people who don't care about either the city or football. That's just common sense. Money removes logic.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:00am

Ignoring the first part I accept your point that Galway is less developed a football city that Cork. I under no circumstances think that the correct way to grow football in the region is to sell up one of our few remaining fan owned clubs to shady investors about who information is extremely limited. 

If as I suspect this period of foreign investment ends in tears the merger of clubs and FAI in 2020 should look into minimum fan ownership. 

How do you know they are shady? What are you basing that opinion on?

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

How do you know they are shady? What are you basing that opinion on?

I meant shady more in the sense that no-one knows anything about them bar their nationality and a club they are associated with. I haven't heard anything about them apart from that. Perhaps the trust members received additional info but I've not seen anything. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 12:33pm
Johnny Ward on LOI Weekly seems to sum up the attitude I've seen from a lot of Galway fans. Didn't even read the information pack before voting Censored
Padraig View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:00pm

Originally posted by Padraig Padraig wrote:

It is their plan to buy a training ground.   The current situation is there is no training ground nor likely to be.

Where have you read that it is their plan to buy a training ground? 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:12pm
It’s their plan to invest in a training facility plus invest in the whole underage structure. To buy and build a training facility would cost upwards of €2m . The club have already been working with authorities over developing an earmarked site.

The biggest problem for the co op and their members who were  running the club for the last two years effectively as the other stakeholders walked away was the failure to grow the membership and we actually lost members despite taking full control because the subscription increased.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:37am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

It’s their plan to invest in a training facility plus invest in the whole underage structure. To buy and build a training facility would cost upwards of €2m . The club have already been working with authorities over developing an earmarked site.

The biggest problem for the co op and their members who were  running the club for the last two years effectively as the other stakeholders walked away was the failure to grow the membership and we actually lost members despite taking full control because the subscription increased.

The trust didn't seem to do a whole lot of promotion to be fair. There needs to be a benefit to trust membership after the takeover and initial "save the club" period. City went through the same problems and are still in the process of re-vamping FORAS membership but early signs are positive. You talk about the failure to grow the membership as if it was a decade long struggle but the trust have only been in control for a wet week and you've voted away control of the club.

If you guys get a training facility out of this and huge investment in under-age fair play but I've heard nothing other than promises and soundbites. Let's be realistic here, the short term plan as always with these investors will be to invest in the first team to climb up the leagues. If they're here for the European money as many seem to think they'll need to get up the table. 500k is being immediately invested, right in time for the July transfer window. Should Galway not get promoted this year as seems probable that'll be another year down in the first division making losses because of first team wages. Let's say they win the league in a canter that year and go up. They need to invest more money in the first team to break into Europe as theres only 4 places and several teams vying for them. That's a big gamble, salaries would most likely need to be around the million mark to mount that kind of challenge with no guarantee of getting there. 

So at this point even if we assume that Galway increase revenues by 50% they've most likely ran up losses of around 1.5m in their 2 and a half years and might not have anything bar a 5/6th place finish to show for it. You think they'll invest €2m in a training facility too and youth structures. I don't see anyway they could get any ROI from this so will most likely pull the plug and leave Galway with debts they can never pay and United fans are back to having no club. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 11:39am

Johnny Ward on LOI Weekly seems to sum up the attitude I've seen from a lot of Galway fans. Didn't even read the information pack before voting Censored

I thought you might have been exaggerating about this but no, he doesn't have a clue about it.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 11:50am
Best of luck to Galway Utd Co-OP in their negotiations. An International fixture that has infuriated others.

I believe the some Club Model: Supporter-owned Trust Fans fear they will lose a vote from their voting block. There's every chance as an FC, GUFC will vote STOPDundalk! if it fits with their interests. The 'Best Club Model' Fans shouldn't have to worry on that.

GUFC's transparency and access of information. The Co-OP's board frankness in their own position and the representative outcome from the Special General Meeting is been used against them.
The openness, access and representation is a brilliant model for any sports club and I believe it's the Supporter-owned Trust model that has re-inforced those attributes to FCs in Ireland.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
  Share Topic