Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Galway United fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

One thing life has taught me is that you can always trust a billionaire. You should never approach one with any level of scepticism.
LOLLOL
Sponsored Links

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 8:40am
gufc don’t own Edp the only assets we have are our players so the idea that the comers are buying the club for development lands is total rubbish.

The Comers have been very generous sponsors of the club for 8 years and have looked for nothing in return. The work on this deal has been ongoing over a long period and to keep it secret in Galway is a miracle as Galway football is destroyed by gossip. 
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 11:04am
It's all well being a fan owned club but if Galway ( and Cork City) were to be promoted there's been big investment in some premier Division clubs that will make it very difficult to win trophies. My way of thought during our own recent vote to offer the sale of Cork City to Grovemore ltd was we can stay fan owned but realistically we will win nothing and looking at the Bohs model that seems to be the case. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 11:32am
Yep if i had a vote i would say yes . 

25 years watching United . hummm a League cup win and promotion and that's it , Still i always back the underdog .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 7:15pm
Why do they want to own it is what Id be thinking. If they are real fans and want to invest for success then they still could do that without ownership Id have thought. They will know that investment wont be recouped so owning it shouldn't matter. Also its not like they have been putting there money where there mouth is up till now. Tad fishy and then there is the whole vulture fund side of things too, not a very 'community' club!

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 24 Mar 2022 at 7:17pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Yep if i had a vote i would say yes . 

25 years watching United . hummm a League cup win and promotion and that's it , Still i always back the underdog .

Success can happen for fan clubs. Its all about timing and taking your chance when it appears. Sligo Rovers being a good example there, plenty of peaks and troughs, more troughs thats for sure. But its ours and when the bit of success does come its everything and everyones success. A colmanation of everybody over decades and it is all the sweeter. 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 8:48pm
They have been putting their money where their mouth is for eight years. Wtf vulture fund the clubs only assets are their players, name and place in the loi.

Yurt View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 10:38pm
I'm assuming the vulture fund comment is due to how the Comers run their property business.

And to be fair, now for the first time in a very long time there is asset at the club in Alex Murphy, reported to be leaving for Newcastle for 6 figures in the summer.

Could be adding 2 and 2 and getting 5 but it seems to me that the Comers began putting money into GUFC without ever expecting too much in return and now that they see there's actual money to be made they don't want to see this going into someone else's pockets.

Hard to blame them in a way but my fear is that they're now of the opinion this can be a for profit business. The only way that actually happens is with millions of an investment into the structures and patience to wait a decade for the club to be pumping out Alex Murphy's annually. Even then it's a fanciful notion that an LOI club will ever be a reliable money maker. 

I'm not sure I see the Comers there in 20 years. Then again, they're the successful business owners, so what do I know.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Yurt Yurt wrote:

I'm assuming the vulture fund comment is due to how the Comers run their property business.

And to be fair, now for the first time in a very long time there is asset at the club in Alex Murphy, reported to be leaving for Newcastle for 6 figures in the summer.

Could be adding 2 and 2 and getting 5 but it seems to me that the Comers began putting money into GUFC without ever expecting too much in return and now that they see there's actual money to be made they don't want to see this going into someone else's pockets.

Hard to blame them in a way but my fear is that they're now of the opinion this can be a for profit business. The only way that actually happens is with millions of an investment into the structures and patience to wait a decade for the club to be pumping out Alex Murphy's annually. Even then it's a fanciful notion that an LOI club will ever be a reliable money maker. 

I'm not sure I see the Comers there in 20 years. Then again, they're the successful business owners, so what do I know.

Completely disagree. There is a lot of money to be made by tying good academy players to contracts in the post brexit and ddsl dominated world we are now in. The James Abankwah fee being case in point. 

Darragh Burns will command a similar fee in the near future.

GUFC could have a near monopoly in Connaught. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 9:11am
if the comers put in the funding to bring gufc forward, then of course they’re entitled to profit from big transfers. Can they be trusted to stick it out? Time will tell.
No Pasaran!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 10:18am
Comer Comer Comer Comer Chameleon. They come and go. They come and go ooh.
Football would be easy if the Comers would buy my team. Maroon and white. Maroon and white.

Every season is about survival (survival)
You're our saviours not our rivals

We're a team without conviction
We've a man who doesnt know
How to sell Alex Murphy
He'll come and go, he'll come and go (on a free)

Edited by Trap junior - 25 Mar 2022 at 10:27am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 11:34am
Everyone is jumping the Gun , wait to see what the boys have to say first and the CooP members will vote on it simple really . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

They have been putting their money where their mouth is for eight years. Wtf vulture fund the clubs only assets are their players, name and place in the loi.

To be fair you'd know better than me what money they put in. I think outsiders assume a lack of investment cause the most straightforward way out (some would argue the only way) of the FD, is to buy your way out. Plus the lack of a academy being built but I believe planing has played its part but 8 years is a long time tbf. 

I know they own a lot of vacant property in Galway and a big eyesore apartment block in a Sligo village. Not a great look but who am I to judge they are obviously clever lads who know how to make money. 

Maybe Im just jealous we cant pick up a billionaire or two up our way. Interesting times no doubt but caution sometimes is the part of valour. Thumbs Up
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 11:47am
Planning application in the local press today, absolute monster facility in Athenry

Honestly what a facility for the west of Ireland. Best of luck to them!
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 10:03pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

https://galwayunitedfc.ie/club-update-mountain-south/

Now that will be some set up. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 11:50pm
Might come to pass by 2050 going on previous LOI plans. We live in hope.
I love beer gardens
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Might come to pass by 2050 going on previous LOI plans. We live in hope.

I’m fairness those brothers are minted. They are big into ploughing money into sport. They are also carting to rugby and GAA.
So main thing that might f**k it up would be issue with the site or planning. 
Probably will take a few years though all the same
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic