Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Galway takeover?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

It will be a training facility not a stadium Murph.
Yer Tommy I know but there will be games played on some level and overseas teams with a bit of luck . My case is hummm not much on the box I will just wander down and see what's on this evening  Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

It's an insult to all the victims of the famine that land belonging to true gaels is now in the hands of the foreign game. The true gaels of Galway can not be served a diet of association football.

I hear the fields of Athenry lie low so there will be some amoint of work required on drainage
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 1:46pm
Is the Bar still open in the old dressing rooms at the ground?
Tribesman91 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribesman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 5:29pm
no
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:44pm
Nope as you well know by now 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
DC96 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 2:39pm
Nope, must have lost the licence. Hasn't been available for the last two seasons now to my recollection.

Been to three games and all the same issues. Talented forward line getting no service, midfield with no creative spark, defence somewhat solid. Opposition get 1 chance and take it, Galway struggle to create anything in opposition to that.

Will be a long season given the inexperience of so many of these lads. Was sat next to an FAI scout last night so the talent is certainly there, but will take time to adapt.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 10:10am
Originally posted by DC96 DC96 wrote:

Nope, must have lost the licence. Hasn't been available for the last two seasons now to my recollection.

Been to three games and all the same issues. Talented forward line getting no service, midfield with no creative spark, defence somewhat solid. Opposition get 1 chance and take it, Galway struggle to create anything in opposition to that.

Will be a long season given the inexperience of so many of these lads. Was sat next to an FAI scout last night so the talent is certainly there, but will take time to adapt.

Sure he just wasn't the usual match observer? They'd be at a lot of games keeping an eye on things but aren't scouts. 
DC96 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 12:15am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Sure he just wasn't the usual match observer? They'd be at a lot of games keeping an eye on things but aren't scouts. 

Could be. I've only started attending LOI recently in the last couple years so I'd never seen one before. But he had an Ireland coat on and was taking notes throughout the game so just assumed he was monitoring some players. I know the young Kelly lad played for an Ireland side in the last couple weeks figured he might be watching him in particular.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 12:25am
The Fai observer was down at the wall in front of the stand  both Higgins and kelly played for u17s last year and Higgins played two  18 games lately kelly played schoolboy internationals two
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:39am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

The Fai observer was down at the wall in front of the stand  both Higgins and kelly played for u17s last year and Higgins played two  18 games lately kelly played schoolboy internationals two

He moved around quite a bit.  He was at the back of the away stand for a while as well.  He had a good view of the tennis balls.  
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 10:18am

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Could be. I've only started attending LOI recently in the last couple years so I'd never seen one before. But he had an Ireland coat on and was taking notes throughout the game so just assumed he was monitoring some players. I know the young Kelly lad played for an Ireland side in the last couple weeks figured he might be watching him in particular.

We get them at Bray a bit, they just look at ref performance, the running of the match (tickets, stewarding) etc. They usually sit near me so I've talked to them the odd time.

Not to say yours wasn't a scout but chance he was just the regular observer.
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 10:20am

Nothing to do with losing the license but with the ignorant clowns who own the ground.

Edited by Bo Jackson - 09 Apr 2019 at 10:21am
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 10:22am
At every LOI match there is a referee observer and a match delegate. Two different souls. Latter reports on pitch, crowd distrubance, flares....

Edited by ProudAndLoud - 09 Apr 2019 at 10:22am
DC96 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

At every LOI match there is a referee observer and a match delegate. Two different souls. Latter reports on pitch, crowd distrubance, flares....

Cheers for the info. The lad I'm on about isnt the same one the other fellas here are referring to because the fella I saw stayed in the same seat all game (very right side of the home stand, behind the dugouts). But aye, likely one of the lads you're referring to.

Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Nothing to do with losing the license but with the ignorant clowns who own the ground.

More info please? I'm a blow-in to Galway so not up to date on everything local. I'd assumed that they couldnt afford the licence or security for a bar anymore as they had one for my first visit two or so years back. A shame to be honest, I spent time in Germany and attended dozens of games at all levels, really helps create a fantastic atmosphere and a more enjoyable game when you can take a pint to the stands and watch the football.

I dont really know much about how GU is run aside from the recent fan ownership. My mates do tell me they've had serious arguments with the local sides in Salthill and Mervue before though? Do the club even own the ground?
DC96 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 2:08am
Desperately unlucky tonight Galway. Played Cobh off the park I thought and were more than warranting a win. Missed hatfuls of chances and conceded a foolish penalty, followed by an unfortunate og.

Been to 4 home games now easily the best display they've put in so far for me. Hoping they can turn it around, such a young squad. Number 17 Ivan Gamarra or something along those lines was very very impressive I felt. Seen him twice now and been excellent on both occasions.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 7:38pm
https://galwayunitedfc.ie/major-club-announcement/. Great to have some good news for once.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Tribesman91 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribesman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 11:19pm
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 11:24pm
this is serious investment. And investment in the right way. 20 million spent on players wages and transfer fees to win a couple of leagues and have no foundations laid is a waste (like drogs did - well wasn’t 20 million, but same point). Fair play to them, this is the way to do it
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic