You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gainful Employment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gainful Employment
    Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:31pm
Finally achieved it.

Finished college last May and been searching since, been working part time in a wine shop to tide me over. Got a call of a company there last Friday to say I've been selected.

It was more relief than anything, sitting at home 4 days a week browsing YBIG all day can be soul destroying. Luckily  I had the part time work so I'll never know what it feels like to be fully unemployed but I'd imagine it's a nightmare.

Having done 10 interviews in the last couple of months, it's  more the feeling of thinking you're useless that's the worst part.  I can fully understand why people are leaving the country etc..

This wasn't a thread to brag about getting work, but that there is hopeThumbs Up (gay statement, I know)

Was straight into Michael Guineys (surprised I didn't run into The Count)  today for some slacks/shirts/dodgy ties.

Any advice on office etiquette etc..? 

Edited by ThrowInDelap - 20 Mar 2012 at 5:31pm
If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.
greengiant View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:37pm
Congrats lad...fair play Clap...best of luck with it!
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:37pm
congrats TID and sorry to hear that the hostel job in Hobart in Taz did not work out for you. 

Fair play and hope it all goes well.

Keep your head down for the first week I suppose and don't go and get locked on Thursday night with office hottie and mess it up with her and also have all the other guy who have been chasing her for ages pissed off with you. You will alienate everybody in one foul swoop.  Thumbs Up
AKA pedantic kunt
sledgehammer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sledgehammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:37pm
Congrats TID hope they ll give you the time off for the Euros
Up there for thinking. Down there for dancing
greengiant View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

congrats TID and sorry to hear that the hostel job in Hobart in Taz did not work out for you. 

Fair play and hope it all goes well.

Keep your head down for the first week I suppose and don't go and get locked on Thursday night with office hottie and mess it up with her and also have all the other guy who have been chasing her for ages pissed off with you. You will alienate everybody in one foul swoop.  Thumbs Up
Wise wise words Baldrick!!!
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood
ThrowInDelap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by sledgehammer sledgehammer wrote:

Cheers.

This is what I'm worried about though, signing the contract on Thursday, probably best to ask then or on the first day do ye reckon?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

don't go and get locked on Thursday night with office hottie and mess it up with her and also have all the other guy who have been chasing her for ages pissed off with you. You will alienate everybody in one foul swoop.  Thumbs Up

Cheers, nice one. I'll try not toThumbs Up, anything else?
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by ThrowInDelap ThrowInDelap wrote:

Cheers.

This is what I'm worried about though, signing the contract on Thursday, probably best to ask then or on the first day do ye reckon?

Jury Duty Big smile
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:05pm
Fair play Johnny Clap No sleeping on the job Wink

l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Fair play Johnny Clap No sleeping on the job Wink

Thanks Babbs,

Embarrassed

Embarrassed
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:44pm
Nice wan kid
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Nice wan kid

Nice one, cheers. Any work yourself or are you still living the champagne lifestyle at home?
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:58pm

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Nice wan kid

Nice one, cheers. Any work yourself or are you still living the champagne lifestyle at home?
A bit of short term casual at the minute nothing concrete
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 7:04pm
Oh dear. Sorry to hear. You're first on the list for any painting/plastering/handywork I come acrossThumbs Up
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 7:12pm
fair play TID, Clap

keep the head down for the first while and suss out your environment and the personalities in the office
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

fair play TID, Clap

keep the head down for the first while and suss out your environment and the personalities in the office

Cheers Citz, my Spurs supporting mate text me this:

"It's like prison. Keep your mouth shut for the first few days. And figure out who the Arsenal supporters are. Then ignore them"

Edited by ThrowInDelap - 20 Mar 2012 at 7:16pm
MariborKev View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MariborKev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 7:16pm

Cheers.

I'd ask straight up.  Say you had it booked long before you applied/interviewed/were offered the job.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by MariborKev MariborKev wrote:

Cheers.

I'd ask straight up.  Say you had it booked long before you applied/interviewed/were offered the job.

You reckon?

What's the best way to phrase it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic