You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gaeilge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gaeilge
    Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 10:43am
Anyone on here fluent or nearly fluent? Was chatting about it to mates over Christmas and we all agreed that it's shocking that we were taught it for 13 years in school and now we can barely speak a word. 

Has anyone ever gone back to learn it after school? How did you go about it?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
jinky View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Ireland's number one fan, ole ole ole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 10:55am
I went to a few Irish classes a few years back,picked up a few sayings and words,it is embarassing as a country that we can't speak our own language, we have only ourselves to blame for it
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:00am
Are you not Scottish Jinky?Wink 

I agree with you but I also think its taught very poorly in schools. Lot of my mates were saying that they'll probably end up sticking their kids into Irish primary schools so they'll be fluent going into secondary. What did you think of the Irish classes you did?
jinky View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:11am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I agree with you but I also think its taught very poorly in schools. Lot of my mates were saying that they'll probably end up sticking their kids into Irish primary schools so they'll be fluent going into secondary. What did you think of the Irish classes you did?
I'm a scoti ,same as yourself
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:27am

I don't speak a word of Irish, I sent my daughter to an Irish primary school for that reason. She's only in Senior Infants and she's almost fluent now
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
flow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:35am
Would love to learn more than the few words i have would love to go to classes any recommendations for south dublin?
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:36am
Myself and the missus are going to start going to night classes soon as the kids are enrolled next year for the local Irish schools. We use a bit around the house for the kids but in fairness we could not hold a conversation. I learned more French in 6 years of secondary school compared to neatly 12 years of doing Irish in both primary and secondary school.
Chips don't bounce
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:38am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I don't speak a word of Irish, I sent my daughter to an Irish primary school for that reason. She's only in Senior Infants and she's almost fluent now

I thought the parents had to speak Irish too?

The way Irish is being taught is dull and boring.

When I was being taught Spanish in 1st year it was being taught by cartoons and it was very entertaining and everyone loved it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
jinky View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:39am

the classes were fine,if it was possible I would go and live in the gaelteacht for a few months,probably the best way to learn it,I envy fluent Irish speakers.Maybe a fluent Irish speaker on here could start a 'Irish class thread'?
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:46am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

When I was being taught Spanish in 1st year it was being taught by cartoons and it was very entertaining and everyone loved it.

No, we sent her to an Irish speaking montessori (naionra) beforehand and because she went there the Irish school took her. They wouldn't take anybody who hadn't been to a naionra though.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:48am

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

No, we sent her to an Irish speaking montessori (naionra) beforehand and because she went there the Irish school took her. They wouldn't take anybody who hadn't been to a naionra though.

Makes sense I suppose.
Great opportunity for her now - as people who learn languages usually pick up other languages a lot easier later on.

SBG posted this a while back while I book marked.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/learn-irish-with-liam-o-maonlai-26460087.html
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:55am
Speak it to a decent standard but am in no way fluent. Find it easier to understand it as opposed to speaking it. Regret that I didn't learn it better in school. Was in college with a lad from Gweedore who obviously was fluent and it made me wish I was fluent more.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:55am
[/QUOTE]
No, we sent her to an Irish speaking montessori (naionra) beforehand and because she went there the Irish school took her. They wouldn't take anybody who hadn't been to a naionra though.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense I suppose.
Great opportunity for her now - as people who learn languages usually pick up other languages a lot easier later on.

SBG posted this a while back while I book marked.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/learn-irish-with-liam-o-maonlai-26460087.html
[/QUOTE]

Cheers HB Thumbs Up
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:32pm
Have a few words myself but would love to be fluent. The policy of only accepting kids who's parents speak Irish is a strange one. These schools promote the Irish language yet are only accepting in most cases, kids from the clique. Now I understand that they want to look after the kids that come from an Irish speaking background but its very narrow minded imo
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Have a few words myself but would love to be fluent. The policy of only accepting kids who's parents speak Irish is a strange one. These schools promote the Irish language yet are only accepting in most cases, kids from the clique. Now I understand that they want to look after the kids that come from an Irish speaking background but its very narrow minded imo

The parents need to assist the kids with homework as usually they need help.
That is one of the main reasons I think.

Unless you want to pay for a tutor or out of hours help etc..

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Was thinking the same myself, it seems a strange way of alienating some kids who's parents would like them to be fluent. Although on the other hand I can see the point in them only accepting kids who've attended an Irish speaking Montessori. If kids are fluent by senior infants then they must hit the ground running in class which would prob leave anyone who didnt attend one way behind.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:39pm
Few lads that I went to secondary school who went to an Irish primary school, while being fully fluent in Irish, were weaker at most other subjects than the rest of us. Anyone else ever find this?
Jackthelad View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:45pm
In the case of Irish speaking it is the most difficult aspect of the language. Reading it and understanding what is being said will come easier.
Listening to it more and more will lead to increased confidence in speaking it. I still have to improve and want to.
I left the language behind me after secondary school for 8/9 years but getting it back. 1 aim this year is to improve on it along with quitting smoking. I'd be a better man this time next year if I manage those 2 things.
Practical things that help is listening to radio na gaeltachta every time you hop in the car. Watch tg4 and listen to irish music.
Most importantly though engage in conversations as much as you can. People probably don't know it but there are coircil cainte groups all over the country. Many going are fluent but you would be welcomed with open arms as a newbie and it helps, greatly.
Oh Poland we loved you.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
  Share Topic