You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 31>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:15am
"I don't think he hit him. I think his arm hit him."

F*cking hilarious from Shefflin. Had no idea he had that kind of humour in him.

Tipp worthy winners in the end. As pointed out the tide was turning before the sending off and, although it clearly had an impact on the game, it didn't look like KK were going to do it with 15 men anyway.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

All Tyrell, Cody and co have to do is point out the farcical inconsistency of referees. All they have to say is how can Hogan receive a red card today but Holden not receive a red card in the semi final? They very much have a case by how referees are applying the laws. Either both those scenarios are red cards or neither are.

Thats the worst argument there is.  If you break the rules tough sh*t.  If someone else gets away with it thats none of your business.  

Its the sort of argument 10 year olds used in.school back in.the day and lads say when they are done for drink driving or speeding.  Its the flimiest and weakest argument there is.

Consistent application of the laws of the game is a flimsy argument LOL

More players avoided red cards for the same incident as today over the hurling championship than received the red card (which of course is the correct sanction). Either all players get the red in that scenario or none do - Holden made a far more dangerous head high hit in the semi final that received a yellow.

Basically, you are talking utter sh*ye. Drink f*cking driving.

Consistent application of the law is fine but it can’t be used as a defense if you have broken the law.  So while people can say the refs should be consistent and they should it’s no defence to the person is as guilty as sin
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:38pm
No law works on the basis if you let a few guilty people away by bad decision making that you let all guilty people go.  

So because one lad gets away with murder we should empty our prisons using your logic :) 

Edited by Baldrick - 19 Aug 2019 at 12:38pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Henry Shefflin making a bit of an idiot out of himself claiming it was a yellow and basically it shouldn't have been a red as that ruined the game. Joanne Cantwell rightly calling him out for it.
Co commentator, Duignan was it? Blaming the rain and conditions, blaming everything but the player that went steaming in with a head high challenge.

Nah, in the studio analysis after.

Funny thing about Duignan is that if it had been a Clare, Waterford or Wexford player who committed a similar foul in any other game (especially V one of KK & Tipp) he would be screaming for them to be sent off. Much like a lot of the KK pundits (I count him as a KK pundit anyway), he seems to think some different rules should apply to them, or some of the rules shouldn't apply to them, whichever favours KK in the given circumstances basically. 

Joanne C did a great job calling out Shefflin's rubbish, but all of it still kind of reverts to the fact that most or all of the 'traditionalist' type of analysts either thought it wasn't a red card for Hogan, or more bizarrely, do think it was a red card but wouldn't have sent him off anyway. 

Game itself was nothing great, similar to last few finals as others have pointed out. Sending off did change it, but given how far off it KK were in 2nd half, ya would have to think Tipp would have won anyway. 

The most interesting point afterwards was raised by Donal Og, but got lost in the sending off chat- KK were tactically very poor in the 2nd half, and reverted to their old style of hitting long balls straight up the middle, most of which were easily dealt with by Heffernan & Ronan Maher in particular. Yet they persisted with it anyway. It doesn't work against a team with an extra man back (Tipp effectively had a sweeper once Hogan went)- very simply, if the CB doesn't win it directly, he only has to disrupt the CF from winning it cleanly and the spare man will inevitably pick it up & clear it. 

This was done to perfection by Maher & Heffernan as well as some of the other Tipp defenders,  but KK seemed to have no idea as to how to get around it. They could have tried to spread the play wider (where TJ has had great success in the past) or to drop some men back and work it up through the lines, which is what Tipp did V Wexford in the same circumstances a few weeks ago, but did none of those things, nor even attempted trying to. Yet the narrative is that the likes of D Fitz & DMG ''have no plan B'' . We didn't see a plan B today from KK anyway, that's for sure, whereas Tipp clearly showed this ability V Wexford when under severe pressure. 

It'll be lost in the talk of the sending off, but KK over the last few years have struggled with teams playing a sweeper or extra men back, or 3rd midfielders or whatever ya like to call the system, and today was further proof. Congrats to Tipp anyway, deserved winners on the day, and in losing only one championship match this season, the most consistent team too. 

It was a shocking display,they must have sent in 30 balls and won barely any of them.KK management were clueless,no plan B whatsoever.
Was at the game yesterday and most around me were hugely frustrated by this. It went on for most of the second half after Tipp’s second goal. Shocked how much they panicked really.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:10pm
Not for one second am I arguing that what Hogan did wasn't a red offense.

What I am saying is that referees clearly are not applying the law correctly on a regular basis. I would say that about 75 percent plus of Hogan type tackles in summers championship have ended with the offense being seen by the ref and a yellow card being given. That type of late head high tackle with an arm/elbow to the head is quite common (I'd say average of at least 1 a game), yet how many red cards have been given for it this summer.

The consistent application of the law is a defense. If refs are regularly giving yellows for that type of tackle (Holden in the SF was a far worse head high hit that got a yellow) then players will rightly believe they will get away with dangerous play most of the time. I, like most I would say, thought that challenge was worthy of a red card, but that the referee will most likely give a yellow card. Also I have no doubt there would barely be any mention of it post match if just a yellow was given, just like Holden who should have seen red in the semi or the Tipp lad who punched a Wexford player in the gut yet togged out yesterday, that's how the GAA operates.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 4:39pm
The red mist got the better of hogan. He only has himself to blame.

I can't f**king wait for next year's hurling both league and championship. There's so many contenders it hurts my head even thinking about it! 
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 12:10pm
Watch Out CB is on the warpath again! LOL

Cathal Barrett has hit back at Jackie Tyrrell for suggesting he made a meal of Richie Hogan’s controversial foul on him during the All-Ireland final.

A massive turning point arrived when Hogan was correctly sent off by referee James Owens for catching Barrett on the jaw with his elbow in the 33rd minute of Sunday’s clash at Croke Park.

Cats legend Tyrrell said that Barrett “went down way too easy” and “made an awful lot of it” but the Tipperary defender insists this is total nonsense:

“Jesus, Jackie, that’s a bit harsh. I’m surprised at him. I got hit in the jaw – what does he want me to do?” he asks The Irish Daily Star.

“I was a little dazed. It wasn’t my decision. The doctor had to assess me. There’s nothing I can do. The more I try to get up, I can’t. I was a bit rattled so the doctor did assess me.

“The Kilkenny lads are sticking with their own. If Jackie thinks I went down soft, I went down soft. Sure I’ll meet him and we’ll have it out.”

Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 12:25pm
'Kin hell LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

“Jesus, Jackie, that’s a bit harsh. I’m surprised at him. I got hit in the jaw – what does he want me to do?” he asks The Irish Daily Star.

“I was a little dazed. It wasn’t my decision. The doctor had to assess me. There’s nothing I can do. The more I try to get up, I can’t. I was a bit rattled so the doctor did assess me.

“The Kilkenny lads are sticking with their own. If Jackie thinks I went down soft, I went down soft. Sure I’ll meet him and we’ll have it out.”

Sounds like someone was interviewed after 10 pints of Guinness
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 12:57pm
Would you answer differently after ten pints of another similarly strength alcoholic beverage?
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Would you answer differently after ten pints of another similarly strength alcoholic beverage?
After 10 pints of Orchard Thieves the only thing you'd get out of barrett would be farts and scutters of sh*te as he groans on the Jack's. 

According to Jackie, he's the type of guy to piss while sitting down. 
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

The red mist got the better of hogan. He only has himself to blame.

I can't f**king wait for next year's hurling both league and championship. There's so many contenders it hurts my head even thinking about it! 

Yeah, it should be a dinger. In terms of ranking the contenders, I'd have it along the below lines, but so easily interchangeable, especially with managerial changes or new players bursting through.

Tier 1: Tipp, Limerick, Galway,
Tier 2: Kilkenny, Cork, Wexford
Tier 3: Waterford, Clare, Dublin
Tier 4: Laois
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 6:57pm
Liam Sheedy an inspiration and it's always that bit sweeter seeing Tipp beat Kilkenny in the final Clap

I can't wait for the under 20's final in Limerick on Saturday night, has the makings of an epic game and it will be really hard to call!

Hopefully Jake Morris, Jerome Cahill, Mark Kehoe and the likes stayed off the beer the last few days LOL

On a side note, hearing that the 40 players who arrived in November all stayed on throughout the year is amazing with no-one dropping off the panel! 

Agreed fully re the 2020 Championship, definitely 5 or 6 teams with a seriously good chance of at least reaching the final (winning it as another thing) 

Edited by Green Devil - 20 Aug 2019 at 6:58pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I was going to go with Bulmers, what with Tipperary and all, but figured nobody could stomach 10 pints of that
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 11:57pm
Galway players seemingly meeting to discuss reinstating Micheal Donoghue as manager and possibly ousting a member of their CB. Interesting to see what happens there, I'd imagine players in Waterford & Offaly, to name 2 counties with poor CB's, will be watching with interest LOL

Elsewhere, McGrath rules out a return to Waterford (a bit like Donoghue, has enemies on the CB that made this very unlikely anyway, even if he could have swung enough clubs in his favour) and D.Fitz is either packing in Wexford or staying one more year, depending on your source of rumour. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 12:00am
Where did all the Galway lads go anyway, used be some decent Galway posters on this thread. They did the opposite of nearly every other poster & disappeared when they won something as opposed to disappearing when the team was losing LOL

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 5:19pm
Thanks Deise for the lend of McGrath. We'll send him back to ye in one piece!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Thanks Deise for the lend of McGrath. We'll send him back to ye in one piece!

Pretty unusual role for him to go with but ye must have some promising players coming up. Great for the game of hurling 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 31>
  Share Topic