You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Frank gets another year of being the Big Cheese in Cork (totally unexpected.......)

Donal Óg steps down as coach of Clare hurlers. 

We still have no idea where we are playing home games next year, Frank mentioned in passing that he thought it might be Thurles for WD V Cork game. So that's that done......
The media were asked to leave before the discussion on Frank started last night. f**king ridiculous Angry

What's the biggest stadium in Waterford? Would they play homes games in Nowlan park?
A novel idea would be for Waterford to actually play their home matches in Walsh Park.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Frank gets another year of being the Big Cheese in Cork (totally unexpected.......)

We still have no idea where we are playing home games next year, Frank mentioned in passing that he thought it might be Thurles for WD V Cork game. So that's that done......
The media were asked to leave before the discussion on Frank started last night. f**king ridiculous Angry

What's the biggest stadium in Waterford? Would they play homes games in Nowlan park?

A novel idea would be for Waterford to actually play their home matches in Walsh Park.

Getting done up is it not ?
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Getting done up is it not ?
Didn't look like it on Sunday.

But fook that. Just play the damn games there. It's their home venue. Same with Clare and Cusack Park.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 8:28pm

Yeah going by Wikipedia it can hold more than Ennis (17k V 14k). I was asking deise why he didn't think they'd play there
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 12:04am

Yeah going by Wikipedia it can hold more than Ennis (17k V 14k). I was asking deise why he didn't think they'd play there
The problem for Waterford is that that would likely be revised down significantly if a match which would test the capacity was to be held, given that at least two sides of the ground (I think three) are made up of gravel-covered banks. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 12:44am
Ya Sid, correct on that one, the High Viz brigade would likely reduce it to around 10k, there are only 4 entrances, 3 of which are accessible from the main stand, but only one at the other side of the ground, which is where the majority of that 10 (or 17) K would actually be standing. 

Have no problem playing games there meself, crap as it is, it is our home venue, but opposition fans would be seriously put off going there, there just isn't room for a huge amount of them, particularly those that like to sit down during games, or those like older people, who wouldn't be able for standing for that duration of time. 

The reason we don't know whether games will be played there next year is simple enough, the CB are in discussions with Croke Park as regards doing it up, if whatever plans they have (and nobody has seen any) get a go ahead, the already small size of the ground, plus whatever construction work going on, would render it unfeasible to hold fixtures there. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 12:54am
Only there the once but thought it was a grand spot if ya don't mind standing. Close enough to the centre and a few bars close enough. I like terraced banks.

Edited by reddladd - 25 Oct 2017 at 12:56am
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 1:43am
Same here, doesn't bother me a bit if we have to play there, but I do accept it is the worst county ground in the country and not up to the standards of what match going fans (any sport) of today deem acceptable. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:08pm
@KCsixtyseven
Mugabe has resigned. Frank Murphy now longest serving world leader

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 1:12pm
A kind of state of the hurling nation article from Anthony Daly here. 

This is going to be a rather strange year, with the league structured/condensed the way it is (the 2 eventual finalists will play 8 out of 9 weeks straight) and also the new championship format, where finishing outside the top 3 in Leinster & Munster will see an end to the season. 

Aside from Anto's article, most players and managers that have been interviewed about it are agreed on one thing, almost no players will play in every game, this will be about managing squads and rotation, something we don't see too often in hurling, where everyone knows at least 12 of the starting 15 by the first championship game.

Just going on that, and in the most simplistic fashion possible, the 3 strongest squads (in no particular order) are Galway, Tipp & Waterford, so I think the team that manages to integrate new players most effectively in the league, as in, with the least disruption to results or performance after multiple changes, will be best set for the championship, where teams will inevitably lose important players to fatigue or injury. 

Given those 3 teams have something of a head start on the others squad wise, I don't see the AI winners coming from outside that 3. Most other teams are short 3, 4 or 5 players from their first 15 to make them AI challengers, never mind the next 4 or 5 lads needed to be high quality subs when the going gets tough later on. 

The league itself will be won by the team that wants to win it most, Galway at something of an advantage in 1B as they should cruise to the QFs without too serious of a challenge, though Dublin might well be flat out for it given they are trying to build a base after 3 years on the slide downwards. I think in 1A a lot of teams will be happy to stay up & not be too bothered about the latter stages of it. Which is why I'm going to tip Wexford for it, Davy is smart enough to know an AI is probably out of their reach, but also smart enough to know a national title will look good on his CV, even if that comes at Wexford's expense later on. I could be very wrong, but I think they will be one of the few teams going all out from the start, he doesn't really know any other way. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 2:40pm
The excellent TG4 doing their hurling goal of the year 2017 on new years eve too. 

List of the goals here; 

Tough call for 2nd.............

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:39pm
Joey Boland and Conal Keaney are back in the Dublin set up

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Joey Boland and Conal Keaney are back in the Dublin set up

Do they have much to offer at this stage though ? Its a young mans game these days (apart from Brick Walsh). No harm in having them there, and presumably the panel needs filling out with the Cuala lads still absent, but if those 2 boyos are making the starting line up for the championship I'd nearly be getting worried. Keaney wouldn't be a bad fella to throw in for the last 20 minutes though, well capable of catching a high ball or 2 and doing some damage. 

WD played Dubs tonight in a challenge game, we seemed to have a reasonably strong team out, about 8 of the AI final starters, dunno about Dublin, we won handy enough anyway, scoreline of ''something like'' 4-16 to 1-8, scores are rarely kept too accurately at this time of the year. Presumably a load of HT changes for both teams too, wasn't at it meself. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:31pm
One rather interesting result today, Kerry beat a Cork reserve team in the Munster senior league by 10 points. 

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:42pm

One rather interesting result today, Kerry beat a Cork reserve team in the Munster senior league by 10 points. 

Reserve team or not its embarrassing. More sh*te like that and John Meylers tenure won't be too long.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:59pm
I don't think Meyler will prove to be that good a manager for ye Sham, but to be fair, I think one of the big issues with Cork is that they don't really have much beyond their first 17/18, and in today's game, that's not quite enough. That 15-18 is a match for anyone else on the day, but it falls down pretty rapidly after that.

From a Cork point of view, you wouldn't expect your 2nd team (15-30) to lose by 10 points to Kerry, no more than Tipp, WD, KK or Galway would. Can't read too much into any result at this time of the year, but tis probably a cause for at least mild concern for Cork fans. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 11:01pm
Was intending to give out to Reddladd for not setting up the predictions league, but there doesn't seem to be one this year, looks like Allianz have discontinued it Cry

Would have been the most difficult one to date too, nobody really knows what approach any given team will be trying other than in the case of the 1A teams, staying in 1A, while 1B really depends on whether Galway decide to give it a serious go, if they do, they will win promotion, if they don't, Limerick might capitalise, although they would probably find some way of messing it up even if they beat Galway. 

cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:39pm
I can see Dublin winning 1B, they play Galway in Parnell Park and they have a great record against Galway there over the last few years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
  Share Topic