You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Hopefully they do one for football !

Hopefully they dont, unless as a cure for insomnia

Apologies for not following the sheep and thinking that hurling is the best game ever and football is rubbish ! 

Some amount of nonsense that gets talked around hurling. 

David Clifford's goal V Monaghan is probably the only 'wow' moment in football this year, and by that I mean something out of the ordinary that you don't see every day. Hurling, even in a poor year, will produce a few dozen of those moments, often missed by the camera if you attend games. Hurling is still a minority sport, even within the GAA, so logically, the sheep are the ones following the larger of the 2 sports. 

Speaking of that game, and I watched very little of the handpassing  sport this year, the difference between the 2 sports skill wise was summed up a minute or 2 after Clifford scored. Monaghan worked the ball upfield to a player in a great position about 20 yards out from the posts in a central position. He wasn't confident of using his right foot, so handpassed the ball sideways to a player in a worse position, who then lost the ball to Kerry & the chance was gone. 

You wouldn't be let next or near a Liam McCarthy hurling team without being able to strike the ball off both sides, its a far more difficult skill to perfect than kicking the ball with your weaker foot. I don't know who the Monaghan lad was, but let's assume he is about 25 yrs old. What in the name of fcuk has he been doing in training for the past decade or so that he can't kick the ball with his right foot ??  And did any of his coaches along the way think that it might be a handy skill for him to learn ? The game is called football after all. 

Just to be clear, I'm not singling out that particular player, or Monaghan, because that is pretty much standard stuff across football. Yes, there are plenty players who can kick with both feet, but surely this should be a minimum level skill to be in a last 8 team (last 4 this year in Monaghan's case) , not the exception. These blanket defences and handpassing, if hurling is somehow overrated, I've no idea how football can even be rated at all. Even some of it's great players freely admit that it is a difficult game to watch these days. https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/oisin-mcconville/gaelic-football-is-becoming-very-hard-to-watch-473122.html

And that is probably one of the reasons a TV programme would struggle to mine 3 hours out of football, all you would be doing is looking at some great high catches, some of the better kicked long passes and other than that, essentially an extended 'goal of the year' montage. Maybe the talking heads could muster a few minutes talking about tactical fouling or throwing GPS monitors at Dean Rock. Height of entertainment alright. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 11:59pm
Who rattled your cage?
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Enjoyed the show but there could have been a larger critic of how they failed to grow the game much beyond its traditional hinterlands and even internationally.

Also thought the amount of slow motion was over the top and the comic book style stuff was bs.

Fair points, but the administration of the game has to be split in 2 as a very first step for any growth to happen, the fact is that in most football dominated counties, there is no appetite to grow hurling, this is also reflected in the numbers of the decision makers in CP, the majority of whom are from a football background. The same applies in reverse in the likes of here & KK, and Cork seems to be heading that way too, which is equally unfair to football & footballers within those counties. Tipp in recent years are a good example of what can be done to grow the smaller of the 2 sports, whichever of them that happens to be in any particular county. 

A lot of it is financial, some smaller counties could do with full time hurling coaches, but the GAA has put most of their financial eggs in the football basket and one team in particular who are their main revenue generator. That isn't Dublin's fault whatsoever, but it is something which should bother the GAA. This year, the Joe McDonagh cup was launched, teams of roughly equal ability played each other with mostly close enough scorelines, and none of it on TV. TG4 is surely a natural outlet for those games, it might or might not promote further growth in those counties, but it's certainly worth a try as a part of a more rounded approach to promotion of the game, including financial backing. 

The Tribesman View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 1:13am
Interestingly, this is a final of 2 Division 2 teams, which must be the first time, this has ever happened.

Last year, Galway won the league from Division 2, but absurdly did not get promoted, Limerick who bet Galway in Salthill, this year, won Division 2.

I believe my beloved Tribesmen will win, but The Treaty Men will lead the game at some stage, I just hope it will not be on the final whistle. We led well during that league game and were hauled back and defeated! And also hauled back by The Catz and Clare this year!
And of course last year went out into a big lead against The Déise and then about 20 mins in, my heart sank, it normally takes Galway a full first half to implode, but this time it was 20 minutes in and Waterford went ahead, fortunately, it was only a blip!

We went an 18 minute period V Clare in the replay without scoring and that's just crazy!
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 1:14am
Does anybody know how much are the final tickets at face value?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 3:24am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Hopefully they do one for football !

Hopefully they dont, unless as a cure for insomnia

Apologies for not following the sheep and thinking that hurling is the best game ever and football is rubbish ! 

Some amount of nonsense that gets talked around hurling. 

David Clifford's goal V Monaghan is probably the only 'wow' moment in football this year, and by that I mean something out of the ordinary that you don't see every day. Hurling, even in a poor year, will produce a few dozen of those moments, often missed by the camera if you attend games. Hurling is still a minority sport, even within the GAA, so logically, the sheep are the ones following the larger of the 2 sports. 

Speaking of that game, and I watched very little of the handpassing  sport this year, the difference between the 2 sports skill wise was summed up a minute or 2 after Clifford scored. Monaghan worked the ball upfield to a player in a great position about 20 yards out from the posts in a central position. He wasn't confident of using his right foot, so handpassed the ball sideways to a player in a worse position, who then lost the ball to Kerry & the chance was gone. 

You wouldn't be let next or near a Liam McCarthy hurling team without being able to strike the ball off both sides, its a far more difficult skill to perfect than kicking the ball with your weaker foot. I don't know who the Monaghan lad was, but let's assume he is about 25 yrs old. What in the name of fcuk has he been doing in training for the past decade or so that he can't kick the ball with his right foot ??  And did any of his coaches along the way think that it might be a handy skill for him to learn ? The game is called football after all. 

Just to be clear, I'm not singling out that particular player, or Monaghan, because that is pretty much standard stuff across football. Yes, there are plenty players who can kick with both feet, but surely this should be a minimum level skill to be in a last 8 team (last 4 this year in Monaghan's case) , not the exception. These blanket defences and handpassing, if hurling is somehow overrated, I've no idea how football can even be rated at all. Even some of it's great players freely admit that it is a difficult game to watch these days. https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/oisin-mcconville/gaelic-football-is-becoming-very-hard-to-watch-473122.html

And that is probably one of the reasons a TV programme would struggle to mine 3 hours out of football, all you would be doing is looking at some great high catches, some of the better kicked long passes and other than that, essentially an extended 'goal of the year' montage. Maybe the talking heads could muster a few minutes talking about tactical fouling or throwing GPS monitors at Dean Rock. Height of entertainment alright. 

You wouldn't get near an senior team in London if you couldn't kick off both feet - Maybe Monaghan are that stuck for players that they have to resort to one footed players but I doubt it. 
There is no doubting that some of the short skills in hurling are fantastic - I still marvel at how lads can just drop the hurl and have the sliotar pop into the hand. So yes, in some ways there is no comparison to football. By the same token, there isn't the same "out" in football that you have in hurling i.e. If you skills let you down or things become tricky then you just pull on the ball. You'd be shot for that in football. Also, I still struggle to see how most teams are content in hurling to settle for a 50/50 contest with long puck outs after scores or wide which are just into the middle of the field. I suppose it be because scores are so easy to come by so if you lose possession and give up a score then you'll always get a chance to get one back soon enough. In football, with scores more precious, teams will guard possession a lot more. 
Also, and I hate the fact that I agree with Wooly Parkinson on something, but he made the point a few weeks ago about marking in hurling. If you take the Limerick v Cork game as an example, I think there was about 5 scores in the first 2.5 mins. What's the story with marking there ? 

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 7:15am
Originally posted by The Tribesman The Tribesman wrote:

The lads I work with are giving out at the price of a ticket of €80 , hey all I told them add another 40 to that and you will get six games at Lansdowne for that . Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

The lads I work with are giving out at the price of a ticket of €80 , hey all I told them add another 40 to that and you will get six games at Lansdowne for that . Big smile

Is that the cheapest ticket?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 9:08am

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Is that the cheapest ticket?

I think the terrace tickets are normally 50 Euro
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 9:09am

Every seat is the same price, €80. Hill is cheaper, bout €40/€50. No reduction for children
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 9:33am
Price hasn't changed in years
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:31am
I think it was €80 back when Limerick were there last in 2007. The final was very poor because of the KK machine and they fairly swatted Limerick aside. Won't happen on Sunday!

Not a year that Deise people like to remember.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 12:06am

You wouldn't get near an senior team in London if you couldn't kick off both feet - Maybe Monaghan are that stuck for players that they have to resort to one footed players but I doubt it. 
There is no doubting that some of the short skills in hurling are fantastic - I still marvel at how lads can just drop the hurl and have the sliotar pop into the hand. So yes, in some ways there is no comparison to football. By the same token, there isn't the same "out" in football that you have in hurling i.e. If you skills let you down or things become tricky then you just pull on the ball. You'd be shot for that in football. Also, I still struggle to see how most teams are content in hurling to settle for a 50/50 contest with long puck outs after scores or wide which are just into the middle of the field. I suppose it be because scores are so easy to come by so if you lose possession and give up a score then you'll always get a chance to get one back soon enough. In football, with scores more precious, teams will guard possession a lot more. 
Also, and I hate the fact that I agree with Wooly Parkinson on something, but he made the point a few weeks ago about marking in hurling. If you take the Limerick v Cork game as an example, I think there was about 5 scores in the first 2.5 mins. What's the story with marking there ? 

Maybe I wasn't completely fair on the fella and he can kick off both feet while under no pressure, but the fact remains he didn't, or felt he couldn't, trust his technique when he had the opportunity to win the game. That's a pretty noticeable skill deficiency. It wasn't as if it would have been a Hail Mary effort from a crazy angle out by the corner flag either, like you sometimes see in hurling. 

Fair point on the 'out' ball, but equally it's very rare now that people pull on a loose ball in hurling, hence so many of the ruck type situations that frequently occur when a ball goes to ground, you could have 6 lads around it and each one of them will try get it in their hands rather than pull on it. Ken McGrath was one of the few modern era players to perfect 'doubling' on a ball moving through the air without catching it in his hands, but he even made reference to it in 'The Game' that if a hurler attempted that today, he would be given out to for conceding possession. Both games are possession based, but there seems to remain a little more trust in hurling that your own man can win a ball, but it is a fair point you make that you will get the chance to win it back a lot quicker than in football. 

I don't know about teams settling for long puck outs down the middle, that was the old traditional style, Cork pioneered the use of the short one in the mid 2000's, our first few years under DMG we did similarly, while the likes of KK persisted in mainly putting it down the middle. Though even in the last 3 years, there has been a change here and nearly every top team now plays with a mix of the 2, some long, some short, some out to the wing. 

Wherever it goes, at some point, its going to have to go forward to another player, who is usually marked. That can lead to conceding possession, but so far, no team has resulted to passing the ball sideways repeatedly, even when they are getting a hiding on the scoreboard. I don't think hurling fans would stand for it to be honest, they would just stop going to games in the numbers that attend these days. 

That is also related to your last point, and I'd agree with yerself & Wooly here too, the defending in that game was poor, no matter what way you look at it. I said all year that Cork would not win the AI for this very reason, they have as good a forward line as what is in the country, who regularly score 30 points or close to it, which is enough to win probably 9 out of 10 games but their defence is liable to concede even more in any game because they repaeatedly cough up chances. 

Yet when WD & Wex set up teams for keeping the scores below a certain level by using sweepers, we had the likes of Duignan, Ken McGrath & Shefflin wailing on TV that this was 'ruining the game', so it seems ya can't win no matter what you do. (On a side note, when KK or Clare do this, according to the lads, they are ''dropping players back'' & it isn't the same thing at all............) . 

Overall though, a certain level of commitment to scoring exists in the sport that doesn't extend to football. Mickey Harte would happily take a 0-1 to 0-0 win in the AI final and then come out & defend the Tyrone approach, if a hurling final (these days) finished 0-10 to 0-9 because of 2 defensive line ups, the rules would be probably be changed overnight, that style of approach wouldn't be accepted by pundits, fans or players. 

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:37am
All fair points Deise.

Anyways, in advance of the hurling final on Sunday, I'd just like to say how this year's hurling championship has been the best one ever. So much more better than last year's which was previously the best ever, though not quite as good as next year's which is destined to be the best ever.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 4:11pm

All fair points Deise.

Anyways, in advance of the hurling final on Sunday, I'd just like to say how this year's hurling championship has been the best one ever. So much more better than last year's which was previously the best ever, though not quite as good as next year's which is destined to be the best ever.

That's a bit of a glib comment though. I do see that to football ( or soccer, or hockey or boxing etc) fans, there seems to be that narrative running through hurling reporting that every year is the best championship ever, but whatever way you look at it, the last decade with the gradual erosion of KK's dominance has brought new challengers to the final after periods of absence, Galway, WD, Limerick, Clare, and even Cork hadn't been to one in a while by their standards when they got there in 2013.

Most of those teams had a few quality games on their way to the final, or in the final itself, the Cork-Clare final & replay being a standout, but also Galway destroying KK in the Leinster final in 2012, Waterford beating KK for the first time since 1959 last year, Limerick's run this year, beating all of KK, Tipp & Cork and that is before mentioning the various epic KK-Tipp finals, to name just a handful. 

When KK were dominant, the other counties tried (usually failed with the exception of Tipp on an odd occasion) to reach that standard, and gradually, they got there. Tipp may not have won as many AI's as their talent should have allowed them to, but they went out & took on KK on each & every occasion regardless of the fear they might lose. Other teams also managed to beat them along the way on a very rare occasion, Cork Galway, and Dublin, while WD, Limerick & Wex got in on the act in the past 2 years.  

In football in the past 7 years, Dublin are the dominant team, and have only been beaten twice in the latter rounds of the AI in that time, once in 2012 by Mayo who went out to take them on, and 2014 by Donegal, who developed what was then an innovative defence based strategy to beat them. Since then, most teams have tried to use a variation of the Donegal template to beat them and it hasn't worked. There seems to be nearly an acceptance among managers and teams that they can't do anything about the Dubs, only put everyone behind the ball & try grind out a narrow victory, despite the evidence suggesting that it can't actually work since then, as Gavin & co worked it out very rapidly after that defeat to Donegal. 

Mayo might have lost a few finals, but they lost them in the right way at the very least, going out & trying to play attacking football, and generally coming closer to beating them than anyone else has managed in the same period.  With their decline, all we are left with is blanket defences, cynical fouling, sideways handpassing & massed defences. Nobody is trying to take them on playing football, and the game itself is suffering as a result. I'm sure that possession stats and accurate handpassing has increased among nearly all teams in the last few years, all well & good, but the current style employed by nearly everyone does fcuk all for the game aesthetically. 

Believe me, things are bad if I'm noticing it, I only really watch the SF's & Final in football. And when you have modern day retirees (not the 'better in my day' dinosouars like Brolly & O'Rourke) like McConville (link in earlier post) , Alan Brogan https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alan-brogan-in-2005-dublin-and-tyrone-tried-to-score-with-every-play-in-2018-it-has-become-a-different-sport-37225574.html 

and Ciaran Whelan https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ciarn-whelan-the-rules-of-gaelic-football-need-to-be-reviewed-now-before-the-game-suffers-irrevocable-damage-37226369.html all saying much the same thing, you can only come to the conclusion that while both sports have evolved, one has evolved by placing more emphasis on skills, the speed at which those skills are executed & scoring, the other has evolved negatively, and to the detriment of the game itself. 

And ya, I think next years hurling championship will be better, WD & Tipp will have new managers keen to make a mark after this year of failure for both, Davy will want to further improve Wexford, Clare & Cork are gradually evolving & improving, Galway are going nowhere, Limerick are the up & coming team who might be AI champions by then, Kilkenny are on the way back and Dublin will make serious improvements under Gilroy. Harder to predict a 2019 winner than any time in hurling history. Can't wait. 

2019 Football ?? Dublin again, who will beat some sideways handpassing, massed defence outfit in the final, it doesn't particularly matter who. 

kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 4:43pm

Good post.

The football has been horrendous.For the first time since I was a kid Im not arsed to watch the final.

The hurling has been unreal.Have taken a half day from work to watch it tomorrow!

Funnily enough Mayo folk really tend to row in behind Galway in the hurling...would like to see limerick do it also.

Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 1:42am
The last few years the Dublin hurlers have suffered as they've had to play some league games in an empty Croke Park before the footballers league game later that night! Dublin hurlers very competitive in Parnell Park and a great atmosphere aswell! Personally can't understand how so many supporters only show up to watch the football and be bored senseless! A few years ago 2015 the Dublin hurlers and Galway drew in a good game in Croke Park before the Dublin footballers hammered Longford by 27 points! Why wasn't the football game the curtain raiser to the hurling that day as the hurling was always going to be the better game!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 19 Aug 2018 at 1:45am
SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

The last few years the Dublin hurlers have suffered as they've had to play some league games in an empty Croke Park before the footballers league game later that night! Dublin hurlers very competitive in Parnell Park and a great atmosphere aswell! Personally can't understand how so many supporters only show up to watch the football and be bored senseless! A few years ago 2015 the Dublin hurlers and Galway drew in a good game in Croke Park before the Dublin footballers hammered Longford by 27 points! Why wasn't the football game the curtain raiser to the hurling that day as the hurling was always going to be the better game!

The atmosphere in Parnell is always good regardless if a game is played in front of a few hundred or a full house. If anything is to be learnt from this year it is that our hurling games should be played in Parnell. 

One reason why so few go into the hurling is the gap between double headers played on cold winter nights especially if you have a couple of kids with you. I have a friend who would often leave after a Dublin hurling game as he has little interest in the fortunes of the footballers. 

I was surprised how poor the Galway support was last week for the footballers it was really noticeable when Galway scored their first goal and there was little celebration or response to the goal. My point is that the Galway footballers have the same problems attracting support as the Dublin hurlers do.

I was at the Dublin v Limerick league game down in Limerick back in February and I felt sorry for the chap selling membership for the Limerick Hurlers club as there was no more then 3000 At the game and I doubt there was much interest in buying membership that night. Limerick bet us well that night and 6 months later they are in an All Ireland final even on that night in February they played with a purpose and I hope do they do the business today.I just hope the occasion doesn’t get to them and we witness another thriller.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>
  Share Topic