You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 40>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Was ridiculous behaviour.
The only way it would be condoned on here is if it was Neil Lennon involved

LOL

I loved Lenny as a player and later as a manager at Celtic but yeah I was blinkered as a Celtic supporter and defended him to the hilt but yeah like Davy Fitz, there are times where he was definitely way over the top and deserved to be brought down a peg or two. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:48am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Well done Grubar, a well thought out, articulate contribution to the topic. Don't leave it as long the next time to visit as we are truly fortunate to have posters like you imparting their knowledge and wisdom on the game of hurling.

I always viewed the Hurling thread as the last bastion of sanity on here. A dark day.
@AntrimMan85
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Davy Fitz hit with an 8 week ban, good to the see GAA clamping down on that sort of behaviour Thumbs Up
Proper order and its fully deserved.
Probably be reduced to a week or two on appeal.
Grubar View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Well done Grubar, a well thought out, articulate contribution to the topic. Don't leave it as long the next time to visit as we are truly fortunate to have posters like you imparting their knowledge and wisdom on the game of hurling.

I always viewed the Hurling thread as the last bastion of sanity on here. A dark day.
Well,thank you!
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 5:01pm
Hammered out the gate Clap Gaillimh Abú
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Hammered out the gate Clap Gaillimh Abú

Very impressive too Bo. Tomorrow, you will probably see Joe C & Conor Whelan get most of the deserved praise, but I thought the Galway defence was outstanding & provided the platform for yer forwards to shine, they didn't allow Tipp anything. Thought Galway would win the league from the start, and get promoted as well, for little other reason than the last 2 winners (Clare & Waterford) have won from 1B. Was half right, but a national title is a better reward than playing in 1A, Galway will meet plenty 1A teams from June onwards anyway. 

I haven't looked, but I'm going to guess Galway are gone favourites for Leinster & 2nd Favs for AI. Be wary of reading too much into any league result, even a final, it didn't do Clare much good last year when push came to shove, but at the same time, in both last years AI SF's, we were only a score away from having 2 different finalists to the ones we did get, so there is some hope for the other contenders. 

Tipp - no idea really, nothing worked for them, but at the same time I don't think anyone thinks that was the Tipp we saw last year or the one we will see in a few weeks time V Cork, I think they are about 10 points a better team than the rebels. 

Seeing as he took up all of last week's news, it would do Davy no harm to look at how Michael Ryan & Micheál Donoghue conducted themselves during & after the game & take a few notes. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 10:05pm
Tipp still the team to beat but Galway are the team that could do it. They won well today but over the last couple of years there's never been much between them. Galway have always put it up to Tipp and i'd say they hate playing them. The nature of this defeat will definately affect Tipp.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:17pm
think Galway will go all the way, they are starting to click and getting that piece of league silverware will do wonders for them 

Tipp will be hurt and will aim too make a statement against Cork next month

very good win for Meath over Kerry. Laois beat Westmeath too

next weekends fixtures are
Sun 30 Apr- Leinster Senior Championship playoffs Round 2
Meath vs Laois (winner guranteed a top 2 finish)
Westmeath vs Kerry (must win game for both teams, loser is gone effectivly)

Sat 29 Apr

Christy Ring Cup round 2A (winners qualify for Semi Finals, Losers QFS)
Antrim v Down, Cushendall, 2pm
Kildare v Wicklow, Newbridge, 3pm

Christy Ring Cup round 2B (Winners Qualify for QFS, Losers out of comp)
Carlow v Mayo, Netwatch Cullen Park, 3pm
Roscommon v London, Dr Hyde Park, 6pm

Nicky Rackard Cup round 2A (winners qualify for Semi Finals, Losers QFS)
Derry v Longford, Owenbeg, 3pm
Tyrone v Donegal, Carrickmore, 3pm

Nicky Rackard Cup round 2B (Winners Qualify for QF, Loser out of comp)
Armagh v Louth, Athletic Grounds, 3pm

Lory Meagher Cup round 2
Leitrim v Cavan, Pairc Sean Mac Diarmada, 2pm
Warwickshire v Sligo, Páirc na hEireann, 2pm
Lancashire v Fermanagh, Old Bedians, Manchester, 2.30pm

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:07pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 10:35pm
Tis kind of hard to credit that the modern GAA player would get too worked up about what Ger Loughnane would have to say though, he is verging on Dunphy territory. Time will tell whether Tipp are a good or great team, and in that aspect, I suspect he could be right, the great KK teams never lost many games in any competition, and they weren't hammered in any they did lose. Where he is obviously wrong & just stirring for the sake of it is to suggest they aren't much good at all, and some of the lads he named/criticised are multiple all stars, so its just sensationalising for the sake of it, nothing we haven't seen before, though usually Galway,Waterford & Kilkenny are his targets. 

Its 2 decades since he won the AI with Clare, most of today's hurlers would only know him, in the case of the older ones, from failing with Galway as a manager and the younger lads as that fella on the telly who Brian Cody described as ''that lunatic from Clare'' .

Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 12:03am
Personally i feel Tipp are a quite a lucky team! 2010 All Ireland Shefflin goes off injured would they have won! Last year in the Semi-final JC goes off injured the previous year Joe set up the winning score! Fair enough Kilkenny got a soft penalty in 2009 but Tipp got a free at the death to win it in 2014! i also remember in 2001 Tipp getting a very handy free just past the 21 yard line to beat Clare and Davy Fitz going mad at Dickie Murphy!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 25 Apr 2017 at 12:03am
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:10pm
Saw this article in the Indo today, and while yer man seems not to be making too big of a deal of it, it does show exactly why counties, and perhaps the GAA itself, need to separate their 2 main sports. We have this fella in Sligo, who have all of 200 hurlers in the county, seemingly unfairly sacked for picking 'outside' players, while their U21 football manager has the call on a good chunk of their squad for a football game that was a mere 7 weeks away, thus making his job even harder than it needed to be. 

It does work the opposite way around in some counties, like Kilkenny, Waterford and even Tipp to an extent, even with their recent success, but at the minute, the structures simply aren't there to allow a weaker hurling county improve themselves and football holds sway among the various county boards, with the exception of the 3 above, and to a lesser extent, Clare & Limerick. 

Something I wasn't aware of is congress have brought down the amount of 'outside' players allowed next year from 5 to 3, and I can't see a single reason as to why that is a good idea. Kildare have gone well this year simply having the long retired from KK's John Mulhall & a couple of Ex -Limerick lads playing for them, surely those Kildare lads can now see the standards to aim for every night in training & this has to be of benefit to the squad as a whole ?? Their results would seem to indicate this is the case anyway. 

Short term, yes, they are depriving some Kildare born lad a place on the team, but in the medium & longer terms, the lads who will eventually take their places will be necessarily of a higher standard than they were when there wasn't any great competition standing in their way. Nobody from KK, WD, Tipp, Galway etc is likely to join a Kildare or Carlow or Kerry for the glory of it & to chase Leinster titles, so why are the GAA enforcing limits on these counties while allegedly trying to promote hurling & raise the standards in these same counties ?? I would imagine its hard enough for the managers & county boards of these teams to entice these outside lads on board in the first place, it really is playing for a love of the game & little else. 

Anyway, the article on Sligo - If hurling people bring out that old Christy Ring line about taking knives to footballs, they are called hurling snobs. But yet, in Sligo, their own Co Board can take a metaphorical knife to the manager & the whole team and nobody will bat an eyelid. I'm actually surprised this was even reported in the national media, fair play to the Indo (generally a poor paper for hurling) for doing so.

'It's a funny situation to be playing in the goals after getting the sack'

It's a tale that sounds absurd even after it's been relayed by the person at the centre of it: inter-county manager is sacked by email leading up to their championship opener but returns to fill the goalkeeper's position, and keep a clean sheet, en route to victory.

But that's the situation that former Sligo hurling boss Declan Loughnane found himself in over the past seven days after being relieved of his duties after six years of managerial service.

Rather than walk away, the 41-year-old couldn't let his side down and filled the goalkeeping breach in their defeat of Lancashire on Sunday in a happy end to a turbulent week, but he demands that this situation is redressed as soon as possible.

"Everyone is saying it's a very funny situation, getting the sack and still playing in goals. I wasn't going to let the lads down. Our Games Development Officer Benny Kenny took over and he said he was only doing it because of me. There's probably only 200 hurlers in Sligo and we can't let it die."

The controversy arose when Sligo GAA officials questioned the validity of five permit players plying their trade with Sligo, one of which was former Clare star Alan Markham (who played two league games earlier this year), in what Loughnane describes as a "different interpretation of the rules" from the county board.

Loughnane, and hurling coach Leo O'Connor (who travels up from Limerick), took their session as normal last Tuesday night, only to be sent an email 30 minutes later informing him that their services were no longer required.

"I even met the chairman after the training session and he didn't say a word to me, half an hour later I got an email saying that the management team had been dismissed with immediate effect," said the Shinrone, Co Offaly native.

"The county board are reading the rule differently than us, we're allowed five permit players and for some reason they are stopping the lads from playing with us. We questioned their decision and next thing I'm sacked. There must be something else at play here because we haven't done anything wrong.

"These are all legitimate permits, they are all above board. One of the lads, Niall McGrath, played with us last year and it's just a misinterpretation of the rule on the county board's part.

"Having permit players helps competition within the squad and doesn't have lads walking onto teams without going to training. It develops lads playing with good hurlers and it allows us compete.

"The killing thing is that it can be resolved inside the county but they don't seem to want to talk to us and they didn't talk to the players or interview them, all they had to do was ask them where they are living, what are they doing and if they're not happy then they could refuse them."

Loughnane, who will still keep his post as Sligo minor and U-21 manager, describes how Sligo have always availed of permit players during his reign and how hurling would struggle to survive without it (weaker counties will be reduced to three permit players next year).

"For our first league game away to Warwickshire, we have six U-21 footballers in our panel (the footballers first round was seven weeks away from that game) and the U-21 manager stopped them travelling over with us," he said. So we travelled with 16 players, three of them are permits and I was in goals, [so] you'd be down to 12."

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:25am
There are plenty of county boards playing lip service to hurling. The likes of these Sligo lads are obviously playing for the love of the game and not for any sort of personal gain. They are probably looked upon as being mad by Gaa people in Sligo. Many of these lads represent their county and their own expense.
Hurling in Laois was at an all time low before Cheddar came in. County players not being fed properly after training, poor quality gear if it was supplied at all. Nothing done bar the bare essential to keep a county team on the road. Cheddar demanded more and got it but he still had to fork out himself for some of the things he wanted.
At one point before Cheddar came in their was a shortage of hurls. Cheddar also did the job for free and the county owe him a debt because the CB finally woke up to the small ball and followed his tenure with a decent appointment instead of some journey man on extortiate expenses to go on the lash at a wekend training session.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 5:34pm
Wins for Laois and Kerry over Meath and Westmeath

This means Laois qualify for the Leinster Qfs and both Kerry and Meath are on 2 points with Westmeath bacisally eliminated from the competition

Last round takes place on Sunday 14 May
Westmeath vs Meath
Kerry vs Laois

I wonder will it go on points difference or h2h if Laois and Westmeath win the next day. Laois through either way but Kerry,Meath and Westmeath all finish on 2pts ???

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:36am
It's only head to head if 2 teams finish on the same points. If it's more than 2 teams it's score difference!

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 12:31pm

It's only head to head if 2 teams finish on the same points. If it's more than 2 teams it's score difference!

Yeah amazingly If both Loais and Westmeath win the next day Westmeath will go through on score difference. 3rd(survival) /4th(relagation to CR for 2018) will be decided on scoring difference too

The Christy Ring champions will play a qualifer match against one of the round robin teams for a chance too play in phase 1 of the All Ireland Qualifers at the end of June. I presume the winner of that game will be team 4 in the Munster bowl to be paired off against 4 Leinster teams in phase 1 ??
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 4:32pm
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0507/873226-plans-for-new-round-robin-structure-for-hurling/

best way to do it is 1 home game, 1 away game and 2 neutral. Munster and Leinster Finals neutral venues, with QFS, SFS and Final in Croke Park

Munster- Cork, Clare, Limerick, Waterford, Limerick
Leinster- Dublin, Kilkenny, Galway, Wexford and Offaly

Kerry, Meath, Laois, Westmeath to go into there own competiton 

not a bad system, guaranteed 4 games, fighting for a top 3 finish
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:44pm
Would welcome it, if only because it would somewhat concentrate local minds as to the state of Walsh Park. I'm really struggling to see how it could be passed fit by the High Vis & Clipboard men to hold a championship game of any significance in its current state. 

That said, it would be very unlikely we would be ceding home advantage to anyone, but would then be in a fairly bizarre situation of struggling to get tickets for a championship game in WP, which would no doubt have it's capacity reduced to some extent on health & safety grounds. Think the official capacity is 17000, and it wouldn't be passed for much more than 12k. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 40>
  Share Topic