You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 40>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 9:20am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

JBM was a dual player, but JBM is a bit of an exception in nearly everything he did. Denis Walsh, primarily a football coach (though did win a Waterford county championship with Ballygunner in hurling, mind you, I'd nearly fancy meself to do that these days) who was manager in Cork after one of the strikes, didn't last too long there.
Denis Walsh was a dual player too. Won 2 football All Irelands and 2 Hurling including the double in 1990
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 12:32pm
The Gilroy/Cunningham combo is one of those 'outside the box' decisions that could work for the Dubs. The first thing they need to work on is getting the the 'hurlers' who walked away from the panel during Ger Cunningham's  tenure  Then the job will be to try and get the football hurlers who make up the Dublin b team to commit to hurling for 2018 and that's where Gilroy could make a difference.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 12:33pm
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0930/908696-gaa-special-congress-tracker/

Hurling championship structure to be decided today
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 1:51pm
The championship structure for 2018-20 is as follows

'The Liam MacCarthy Cup will be reduced to 10 teams and the five-team Munster and Leinster championships will be played off on a round-robin basis.

The top two teams in each provincial group would face-off in the provincial final, while the third placed teams advance to the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

The bottom two teams in either group play-off would reach the quarter-finals. The quarter-final winners play the provincial champions in the All-Ireland semi-finals.

The Tier 2 championship will include the four counties currently in the Leinster championship qualifier group and two other counties based on finishing positions in 2017 championship.

It would be run on a round-robin basis with the top two teams contesting the final. The finalists from the Tier 2 competition meet the third-placed teams in Munster and Leinster in the All-Ireland preliminary quarter-finals.

The participants in all three lower tiers (Christy Ring/Nicky Rackard/Lory Meagher) are to be based on finishing positions in this year’s championship, and they’ll all be played on a round-robin basis'

Good God Munster is going to be helter skelter where Leinster have Offaly for the other 4 to slaughter and then the tier 2 teams may get slaughtered by the 3rd place Munster/Leinster teams in the Prem round game. Top 2 in each province play in the prov final (winner into AI semi final, runner up All Ire QF)
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:09pm
Awful, awful structure.

Round robin formats are generally terrible in championship hurling. Will seriously take away from the Munster championship in particular.

Exisiting format was good. The second tier counties had a way in to the LMC proper and Munster was as ye were.
@AntrimMan85
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:26pm
I dunno does it really make any difference, we only have 9 Liam Mac teams, Offaly are there in name only, and won't be after this season, so under any format you like, you are basically getting rid of 3 teams, usually 2 Leinster ones and 1 Munster one, before the QF's.  This will take a handful of games more to arrive at the exact same conclusion. 

It will dilute the Munster championship to an extent alright, but still the best 2 teams will get to the final, I don't see a huge issue. I like the existing (allianz) league format, it works, every game has some pressure on it, can't really see a reason why it wouldn't work for the Munster championship too.

Leinster might not be as competitive, but it's still more competitive under this format than their football championship, which is essentially a competition for a big day out in CP & try & keep the Dubs victory margin to less than 10 points, so it could be worse too. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:32pm
Anyway AM, when you look at the lads lined up against it- Our County Board (chairman Paddy Joe admitted he ''hadn't really studied the alternatives''), Ger Loughnane and Sir Frank of Cork - yer in great company there anyway !! LOL

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Anyway AM, when you look at the lads lined up against it- Our County Board (chairman Paddy Joe admitted he ''hadn't really studied the alternatives''), Ger Loughnane and Sir Frank of Cork - yer in great company there anyway !! LOL

Ha, i did see that - didnt look great on the Waterford board. Not that anyone seems to care a great deal given the lack of coverage of the whole thing.

Jesus. Fair point there Deise. Might find myself on the wrong side of history given that illustrious line up....
@AntrimMan85
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:36pm
F*** it, more games of Munster hurling. Probably not a bad thing.
@AntrimMan85
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

The bottom two teams in either group play-off would reach the quarter-finals. 
Whoever wrote this sentence deserves to have a big filthy snot put in their dinner.
The Jackal View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 12:07am
The league is there for this like. It's like they are copying the super 8s.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 5:19am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Ha, i did see that - didnt look great on the Waterford board. Not that anyone seems to care a great deal given the lack of coverage of the whole thing.

Jesus. Fair point there Deise. Might find myself on the wrong side of history given that illustrious line up....

There is a book waiting to be written about these buckos, but the tales would put it in the fiction section. We will have no Munster football representatives this year (think the 2nd time in 4 years, and another of those years involved the county champions playing no less than Dr Crokes of Kerry less than 24 hours after the county final)) as the county championship won't be finished on time. We have about 6 football players on the hurling panel. 

The county hurling champions (Ballygunner, barring some unforseen shock) will have about a week before Munster hurling club starts, but only barring no replays. We have 10 senior clubs in the county. Less clubs than KK do, I believe they are a reasonably successful county at this hurling lark, they played their county QF's today, we are still 2 rounds off that. 

That is before we get in to the whole element of the CB that are near enough actively against Derek McG as manager, though obviously, that element is quiet enough right now. That is mainly because of high profile sponsors and 'invisible' (to outsiders) financial backers of WD being firmly behind him. 

There is the county SF last year in Fraher field that had floodlight failure when the odds on favourites, Ballygunner, were 4 points down with 10 minutes left. The room that housed the emergency power generator was found to be locked, with the keyholder nowhere to be found. A joking tweet by a random spectator saying ( high ranking CB official who is an agent for an oil company, and also a well known local gambler) ''should have made sure it was filled with diesel'' was met by an official CB statement and legal threats.  Ballygunner won the replay. 

I could go on, but ya, this is the type of company yer agreeing with these days. 

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 9:19am
Think the league the past few years have shown that it doesn't have to be knockout to be entertaining. Tipp V Waterford or Clare V Galway can be an entertaining 70 minutes no matter what's at stake. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Think the league the past few years have shown that it doesn't have to be knockout to be entertaining. Tipp V Waterford or Clare V Galway can be an entertaining 70 minutes no matter what's at stake. 

Yeah, I'd agree with that. And we have seen some poor knockout games in both Munster & Leinster over the past few years too, including finals, so I don't think the format is the deciding factor on whether a game is good or not. 

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 4:45pm
New Dublin manager to be appointed tonight. Two horse race between Pat Gilroy (with Anthony Cunningham) and Mattie Kenny. Gilroy/Cunningham the front runner
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

New Dublin manager to be appointed tonight. Two horse race between Pat Gilroy (with Anthony Cunningham) and Mattie Kenny. Gilroy/Cunningham the front runner

No white smoke tonight. Rumours of a split vote.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:52pm
Think tis the other team ye have that might need splitting, not this one.........

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by SuperDub SuperDub wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

No white smoke tonight. Rumours of a split vote.

Here is a fairly fantastical rumour, but the sources are usually good. 

The Dublin CB wanted Gilroy & A Cunningham - it was more or less a done deal, just waiting on a rubberstamp.

Some, or all of the Dublin players were made aware of this. They contacted their playing counterparts in Galway, who obviously had little to say on Gilroy, but plenty to say on A Cunningham, none of it good. 

Dublin players tell CB they want Mattie Kenny- some were once more threatening to withdraw services if Cunningham was appointed. 

CB doesn't want to give in to players, or be seen to be giving in, but at the same time, recognise pushing through their appointment could be a beaten docket from the start. Stalemate. 

One proposed solution is trying to get Gilroy on board with M Kenny, and they are trying to organise this behind the scenes. No idea if either man would go for that, or who would be No 1, or is it a joint effort, or if Gilroy is welded to A Cunningham and will reject the idea completely, that's as far as me man knew.

No idea if true, but have to say it doesn't sound entirely implausible. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 40>
  Share Topic