You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 40>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Re tickets you could find it handy to make friends with someone from a traditionally non hurling county like Tyrone or Fermanagh who can get them from their club. Got a work mate from Loughgiel 2 tickets to the AI Final last year no bother from the club

I'd say Loughgiel would have bother shifting the football tickets locally! 
@AntrimMan85
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 5:54pm
I imagine Buff Egan will get a ticket

He's a mad man
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

He's a mad man
I've noticed this lad around a bit but what exactly does he do or why has he a little bit of fame?

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 14 Aug 2017 at 5:58pm
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

He's a mad man
I've noticed this lad around a bit but what exactly does he do or why has he a little bit of fame?

He's hurling mad and travels too games every week. He runs a Facebook page about his trips
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Deise did ye see the clip of Mullane interview bombing Shefflin outside Croker yesterday. Pulling him up over his previous comments

Yeah, did see it, but the U turns on this from Shefflin & the likes are nearly as embarrassing. Duignan is too busy reliving past glories of his favourite KK teams to ever change his mind on it, but at least he's consistent, even if consistently wrong. 

Other than Donal Og, the only one of the more well known pundits to go against the earlier season overwhelming tide of ''traditon-15on15 good/Sweeper bad'' narrative was Cyril Farrell, himself something of an innovator back in the day with Galway. He also tipped us to win Sunday when most went the other way.There is clearly a bit more to that fella than the ''ah isn't hurling great all the same'' image he presents on the SG. 

Since I have been going on & on about it since the start of the league, I'm glad there seems to be something of an acceptance beginning to take hold that there are other ways to play the game other than the way KK want you to, and that pundits are now being called out on opinions that don't actually stand up to scrutiny, or opinions that are dictated by personal preferences. 

To see nearly all of the GAA writers in the national media suddenly take the same line after 1 game is a bit worrying too though, I don't think we are too far away from the thing going full circle and in the near future, we will see an article explaining why you can't win an AI without a sweeper (which is equally nonsensical). 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:06pm

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

He's a mad man

He's hurling mad and travels too games every week. He runs a Facebook page about his trips

First noticed this lad at last years drawn SF between us & KK. There were a queue of young lads going over to him getting their photos/selfies with him. We hadn't a notion who he was, so one of the lads went & asked him. Buff is something of a social media superstar, if you have a relative or friend around 25 years old or younger who is a hurling fan, they will have heard of him, and will look at you as if you have 2 heads if you tell them you haven't. 

He basically attends every game of hurling in the country, a hurling version of LOI's Tom the Gom if you like, only he has FB, Instagram & twitter pages & things like that. Seems to be a harmless type of lad doing it for the love of the game more than anything else, but he has, whether accidentally or by design (I'm thinking accidentally) managed to connect with a whole generation of young people that, as Larry Ryan pointed out in the Examiner a few weeks back, big marketing companies would pay serious dollars for to access. 

bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:41pm
Drink it in maaaaaan!
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Other than Donal Og, the only one of the more well known pundits to go against the earlier season overwhelming tide of ''traditon-15on15 good/Sweeper bad'' narrative was Cyril Farrell, himself something of an innovator back in the day with Galway. He also tipped us to win Sunday when most went the other way.There is clearly a bit more to that fella than the ''ah isn't hurling great all the same'' image he presents on the SG.

LOL LOL LOL

Loved when he used to do co-commentary, mentioning the word BANG after every goal scored.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Yeah, did see it, but the U turns on this from Shefflin & the likes are nearly as embarrassing. Duignan is too busy reliving past glories of his favourite KK teams to ever change his mind on it, but at least he's consistent, even if consistently wrong. 

Ah here, looks like I was wrong on that, but I'm having real bother believing this isn't fake news................

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 11:39pm
Cork undone yesterday by a moment of madness from Damien Cahalane. A poor hurdler as is but when he's making silly decisions like that he's done for.

On the sweeper system, I thought it worked well and didn't seem ugly. Particularly in the second half I was impressed (largely due to the fact I was seated down the end of the pitch waterford were defending) Daragh Fives caught some ferocious balls and cleaned up everything and kept Cork at bay.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 1:02am
Rarely post on YBIG anymore, so haven't had the chance to give my two cents on the semi finals!

I was at the Tipp/Galway game and Galway definitely deserved the victory and how could any begrudge them the win after Canning managed to get the winning score with that wonder strike!

Cork will be kicking themselves with the sending off which ultimately had a massive impact on the result but Waterford were seriously impressive from the get go imo so it's hard to think they wouldn't have crept over the line even if it was 15 on 15 for the full 70.

I have had a strong dislike in Hurling terms Wink for Waterford over the years "but" I was over the moon for McGrath and the players winning on Sunday. You can't help but appreciate the likes of Barron, Gleesons x2, TBD, Brick etc and how passionate the county is about it's Hurling and like Galway have endured years of frustration in their attempts to finally bring Liam McCarthy home! 

Hurling is the real winner no matter who wins on All Ireland Final Day, there will be a team either ending 29 years of frustration or 58 years of frustration! Sport is great and may the best team win Clap
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Jason Kelly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 1:45pm
Systems matter sweet shag all in a game of hurling in my opinion.

And thats whats so great about the sport. The hungrier and more determined side will win out and thats what happened yesterday.

The Hurlers can be very proud of their efforts and achievements this year.

Looking forward to what should be a great final between Waterford and Galway. All Ireland Hurling Final Day, the pinnacle of our National Games.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 1:52pm
Why would a team winning by using a clever system and outsmarting a team not be a good thing Jason.

What's wrong with a piece of tactical nous being the difference.
AKA pedantic kunt
Jason Kelly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Why would a team winning by using a clever system and outsmarting a team not be a good thing Jason.

I don't believe a system has much to do with winning a Hurling match.

Maybe in Gaelic Football when crap teams show up to keep the score down could a system be effective. Anyone outside of Kerry and Dublin really.

I think Waterford won because they wanted it more on the day. They were more physical, hungrier and played some fantastic Hurling.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 6:06pm
Aussie Gleeson cleared to play in the AI final
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
The Jackal View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 6:30pm

It won't work on Galway.
deiseblue View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deiseblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by The Jackal The Jackal wrote:

It won't work on Galway.

Ah you never know , it bet a hugely fancied Cork side out the gate.

It all comes down to the day.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Jason Kelly Jason Kelly wrote:

I don't believe a system has much to do with winning a Hurling match.

Maybe in Gaelic Football when crap teams show up to keep the score down could a system be effective. Anyone outside of Kerry and Dublin really.

I think Waterford won because they wanted it more on the day. They were more physical, hungrier and played some fantastic Hurling.

There is something in what you say Jason. Systems don't win games, players do, and to do that, as cliched as it is, the fundamentals of work rate, hooking, blocking, closing down space, fighting for loose ground ball etc have to be there in the first place. 

But systems do have a place too, in themselves they won't get you over the line, but they can help a lot. Changing systems at a certain point, like we do around the 50-60 minute mark, can be tough on defenders, even experienced ones. You are tuned into Shane Bennett running off toward corners & following him around for an hour, then Shan comes on & stands in one spot waiting for a high ball, totally different skillset required. Same with Brick, darts about here & there around the HF line, usually to good effect, get a handle on him and next thing yer looking at Tommy Ryan or Brian O'Halloran, absolute speed merchants. That sort of thing is difficult for defences to deal with. 

On the other side, cutting out puckouts to certain players by marking them tightly, as WD did on Sunday generally cutting supply to Lehane & Coleman, lessens the chances for the opposition, any high ball going in direction of FF line is no more than a 50/50. No team can get it perfect for an entire game or anything, the opposition will win their share of ball & scores, but these little things can switch a match in your favour in a close game. Not conceding goals will normally keep you in the game, to a degree, til late on, which is the very basic idea behind the sweeper in the first place.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 40>
  Share Topic