You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 40>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Eamonn Kelly (ex Kerry & Offaly) appointed to the Laois job too. Ya wouldn't know from looking at it from afar, but I would be wondering what Laois have that Offaly don't, seeing as he resigned from that job when they exited the championship. 2 teams broadly in much the same place. 

Expectation might be a factor, given Offaly's pedigree in comparison to that of Laois perhaps?

There is super work being in Laois in regard to hurling at the moment, a lot of Gaelic strongholds completely neglected hurling are now entertaining teams in Junior Championships.

It feels weird for someone like me who plays senior football, but then plays Junior C hurling but it's great craic like LOL

Delighted for Aussie Gleeson btw Clap It would have been nice for Seamie to have won it, but you can't deny the year Gleeson had in every grade and match he played! He was outrageous and seems a lovely humble lad off the field too which is always nice to see. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 9:54am
Hopefully Eamon Kelly brings something different in that the players buy into. He has Conor Gleeson with him who is very familair with the Laois set up haveing managed Rathdowney back in 2014. According to Kelly it was Gleeson who convinced him to take on the job.
There's no douth that Laois has some great talent and Cheddar brought in a very professional set up which was missing for years. Crowds also started going back to support the hurlers.
Kelly seems to have a decent track record even though his year at Offaly was so so. His first task would be to get players like Keenan and Hyland to commit to another year and talk to a couple of the retirees to see if they will come back for one more year to help the younger players. The hurling player of the year in Laois 'retired' from intercounty in 2015. Seems to be a feature in Laois where the players of the year are not with the county which is a pity.
All in all, for a county like Laois Kelly is probably as good a manager as they could have got and hopefully he can get the lads motivated and competing well in 1B. It's a dangerous division at the moment with Antrim lurking just below so no team will want to get them in a playoff.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 10:12am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Hopefully Eamon Kelly brings something different in that the players buy into. He has Conor Gleeson with him who is very familair with the Laois set up haveing managed Rathdowney back in 2014. According to Kelly it was Gleeson who convinced him to take on the job.
There's no douth that Laois has some great talent and Cheddar brought in a very professional set up which was missing for years. Crowds also started going back to support the hurlers.
Kelly seems to have a decent track record even though his year at Offaly was so so. His first task would be to get players like Keenan and Hyland to commit to another year and talk to a couple of the retirees to see if they will come back for one more year to help the younger players. The hurling player of the year in Laois 'retired' from intercounty in 2015. Seems to be a feature in Laois where the players of the year are not with the county which is a pity.
All in all, for a county like Laois Kelly is probably as good a manager as they could have got and hopefully he can get the lads motivated and competing well in 1B. It's a dangerous division at the moment with Antrim lurking just below so no team will want to get them in a playoff.

Appreciate the comment but given our performances over the past 2 years, I can't imagine anyone being that bothered about the prospect.
@AntrimMan85
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:01pm
Cody reappointed in KK for the 19th year, to nobody's great surprise. Hearing rumours that McGarry & Mick Dempsey standing down as selectors though (even though they too were ratified by the KK CB tonight). 

Great GAA word, 'ratified' . Can't think of another context whatsoever that the word is used as frequently, or even at all. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 7:43am

Cody reappointed in KK for the 19th year, to nobody's great surprise. Hearing rumours that McGarry & Mick Dempsey standing down as selectors though (even though they too were ratified by the KK CB tonight). 

Great GAA word, 'ratified' . Can't think of another context whatsoever that the word is used as frequently, or even at all. 

A Great GAA word. Also, Parallelogram. I fear its use is in decline all the same.
@AntrimMan85
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:14pm
Would that be the large parallelogram, or the small parallelogram ??

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:38pm

Would that be the large parallelogram, or the small parallelogram ??

It would be the larger of those two geometric shapes for me now. Smaller would be the square in my eyes ( despite obviously not being square)

Though maybe the partial demise of the Square ball rule in that other auld game will herald a glorious return for the parallelogram.
@AntrimMan85
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 7:44am
Nothing like having a bit of a schemozzle in the parallelogram
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 11:25am
I love hearing lads still shouting 'that's a 70' at games. Hard to beat the yardage!
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 9:14pm
Absolutely, and ya still hear how (for example, Joe Canning) ''Canning's best position is on the 40''.

I'm going to try use the word 'ratified' more often though, and see if it can be applied to non GAA stuff without looking out of context in a sentence,  wouldn't like to see it die out altogether. LOL

Where's Eire32 these days ? Seemingly a bit of a debate about Skin Ryan's , ahem, ratification in Offaly, where some lads proposed an alternative manager. That's rarely a good start, because it means certain factions have the knives out from the off, a few bad results & the campaign to undermine the manager begins. 

Edited by deise316 - 16 Nov 2016 at 9:14pm
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 11:54pm
Talking to a Laois Gaa woman in recent days and she doesn't give our new manager much hope.
de scientist View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote de scientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 3:56am

Talking to a Laois Gaa woman in recent days and she doesn't give our new manager much hope.

would that be your brother? LOL
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 9:52am
Talk of Galway moving to the Munster Championship in 2018
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Galway should absolutely do this and either way withdraw from Leinster straight away.

Not being allowed enter their minor or u21 teams into the Leinster championship is a joke and being a far greater reason than them not getting home games. Being in Leinster (senior team with away games only) hasn't benefitted Galway at all really yet they have immeasurably benefitted Leinster.

With Kilkenny, imo, starting to look less invincible in general (I'm reluctant to say starting to wane) Dublin not progressing at all and Offaly and Wexford in perpetual states of mediocracy the Munster Championship looks far more enticing particularly with the Galway - Limerick mororway making travel easier and especially if underage sides are allowed compete. If I were the Galway County board I'd sacrifice having home games again in favour of underage.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Galway should absolutely do this and either way withdraw from Leinster straight away.

Not being allowed enter their minor or u21 teams into the Leinster championship is a joke and being a far greater reason than them not getting home games. Being in Leinster (senior team with away games only) hasn't benefitted Galway at all really yet they have immeasurably benefitted Leinster.

With Kilkenny, imo, starting to look less invincible in general (I'm reluctant to say starting to wane) Dublin not progressing at all and Offaly and Wexford in perpetual states of mediocracy the Munster Championship looks far more enticing particularly with the Galway - Limerick mororway making travel easier and especially if underage sides are allowed compete. If I were the Galway County board I'd sacrifice having home games again in favour of underage.

Agree entirely with this. It should have been a mutually beneficial arrangement but Leinster Council have approached it farcically. Munster should grasp the opportunity here, do what Leinster should have done. 
@AntrimMan85
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 9:20pm
Sabre rattling is all this is (and Galway are fully entitled to do so, and feel aggrieved at their treatment in Leinster) - but beyond the 'Galway for Munster' headlines, have a look at what Paraic Duffy said in this Examiner interview. 

Reading between the lines, it looks like Duffy saying if Leinster can't accommodate Galway, the GAA/CP will do it for them. I wouldn't be so sure Munster would be too keen to accept Galway either, it is a hard enough competition to win as it is already, putting another (at least as we speak) top 4 team into it would only make it more difficult. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 9:22pm

Yerself, herself & the new manager could have done without Willie Hyland retiring too. Sad to see a fella pack it in at 28 due to injury, very good player for Laois. 

eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 9:47pm

Sabre rattling is all this is (and Galway are fully entitled to do so, and feel aggrieved at their treatment in Leinster) - but beyond the 'Galway for Munster' headlines, have a look at what Paraic Duffy said in this Examiner interview. 

Reading between the lines, it looks like Duffy saying if Leinster can't accommodate Galway, the GAA/CP will do it for them. I wouldn't be so sure Munster would be too keen to accept Galway either, it is a hard enough competition to win as it is already, putting another (at least as we speak) top 4 team into it would only make it more difficult. 

Yes I am inclined to agree that Galway need only walk away from Leinster to improve their situation in that the GAA would be compelled to sort it then (I said as much previously in either this or the 2016 thread).

Munster is preferable to the current Leinster situation on the assumption the status quo regarding provincial structures remain.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 40>
  Share Topic