You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 40>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:05pm
Agree with that assessment Deise.

For me, it was like the Waterford management didn't bother their holes watching the Cork- Tipp game. Where that was won and lost was Nash delivering quality ball to the Cork half forwards dropping deep and then diagonal ball into the inside forward line or likes of Lehane taking a good long range score.

Exact same formula yesterday and I actually thought this would maybe play into Waterfords hands a little - De Burca not charged with picking up a man but sweeping and intercepting that kind of ball.

I have no idea what kind of system, if any, they tried yesterday. 

For all Waterfords faults, Cork look like the real deal. V impressed with the half back partnership of Ellis and Coleman, Midfield quietly doing a very good job and one or two stand out forwards. 
@AntrimMan85
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:48pm
very disapointing performance for Waterford and i think thats that for the year as clearly Mcgrath has given up (he didnt move once from this sideline seat yesterday) and something seems wrong with the players 

I think Cork are good but still they only beat a poor Waterford team for 5 points and Clare will be raring to go (but on the other hand Clare struggled against a poor Limerick team). Think it could be a good munster final. Galway not really tested yesterday and that might go against them for the Leinster final. Im going with Wexford and Clare to win both prov finals (Wexford potentially in an all ireland semi final amazing achievment considering the last few years theyve had) 

Its Laois vs Carlow in the Prem round this weekend and the winners will join the munster side of the draw. 

Munster bowl
Tipperary
Limerick
Waterford
Carlow or Laois

Leinster Bowl
Dublin
Westmeath
Offaly
Kilkenny

Round 1 (Sat 1st July)
4x Munster vs 4x Leinster

draw takes place Mon 26th June at 8.30am and first team out will get home advantage, think Laois vs Westmeath cant happen again ?.

my guess at the all ireland semis are
Wexford (Leinster champs) vs Cork
Clare (Munster champs) vs Tipperary

Wexford vs Tipp- All Ireland final 

Edited by Healy52003 - 19 Jun 2017 at 2:50pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Very dissapointing from a Waterford team who are looking at winning an AI. Qualifiers are a bit of a minefield and there will be some cracking encounters when the draw is made.

WHo is best placed of Waterford, KK and Tipp now as the can't all come back and do damage later in the summer.

Maybe Loughnanes words about Waterford having missed their chance last year might stir them to do something because no more Brick ater this year.

I think Tipp have by far the least problems of those 3 teams to fix, so I would say they will go the furthest. The fact they won 5 straight games in a row to win it last year might also be a factor, it at least proves they have done it before, so no great reason for them to believe they can't do it again. I don't think they will win it, having said that. 

I was thinking yesterday anything but KK in the draw, obviously that performance wouldn't beat even an ordinary KK team, but thinking about it a bit more, it would give McGrath & Co a week to sharply focus minds, go out & give it a go, and if they lose, so be it, they will hardly lose in a more dispiriting manner than yesterday. Though I've thought that before, and been proved wrong. 

There is only something in what Loughnane said to a point, maybe they could & should have beaten KK, but last years Tipp certainly had their number anyway, I don't think they would have beaten Tipp in a final. A lot will depend on the draw, you could get to a QF without meeting either Tipp or KK (if they draw each other in R1 & draw another R1 victor in R2) or you could have to beat both of them to even get that far, but if you do get that far, nobody will fear the 2 provincial final losers, in fact at that point, it might even be to the advantage of the qualifiers having come through a few more games. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:26pm
Going to go back again (and probably again) to my new favourite topic this year, match analysis. Have said before that a bit like Pele in football, we now have some of the greatest players to ever play the game doing analysis for TV, Radio, online media entities and newspapers. And I'm now 100% fully certain that more than half of them are either 1) not seeing what is happening in front of them 2) Seeing it, but not fully understanding it 3) Not understanding it, know well they don't understand it & then try tell us we are looking at something that isn't there.

Have a look at this; 

First up; Donal O'Grady in the Examiner. One of the finest tactical minded analysts out there, in my opinion. His report, views & opinion on this game would tally with my own. 

You don't have to read it all, I'll just re-type 2 lines that are relevant to my point;
''Waterford dispensed with their defensive system, going 15 on 15'' and;
''Having dispensed with the sweeper, they were attempting a different playing culture''

Next, Brendan Cummins in the Indo. 
''Waterford reverted to a sweeper in the 2nd half''

Eoin Larkin on pundit arena; 

''I knew they were going to set up with the sweeper''
''Why they keep playing with it, I do not know'' 

So - Was it a sweeper system or not ?? Opinions seem split on it by the pundits. 

Due to the general level of disorganisation of Waterford, it was hard to tell at times. But it is a question solved simply enough by asking another one; If there was a sweeper, who was he, and who was the CB ? ?

We know TDB is the normal man in that position for WD, something he does very well. He was not sweeping on Sunday, as at no stage, was there anyone in the CB position other than him. There was nobody behind him other than the FB line. No sweeper, but yet half the seasoned pundits watching the game aren't even able to tell if that is the case or not. And so the misconception continues- Played negative sweeper system & lost. 

There are lots of reasons why we lost that game, but playing a sweeper system wasn't one of them, not playing one might have been, but yet not many seem to have been able to identify it. DMGrath is taking a good bit of stick on social media locally for, ya, you guessed it, playing a negative sweeper system, though to be fair, mainly by the big day out brigade, who still think it is 2004-2007 in Waterford. 

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 12:35am
I would give Donal O'Grady far more leeway than the other two. A very astute reader of the game.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 1:07am
So would I, but tis annoying me at this stage. And there isn't much of an excuse for it, was asking the brother when we last played 3 up top in a conventional formation, his answer was the same as mine- V Clare in 1st round of championship in Limerick 2007- Justin McCarthy's last game as manager. That's a full fcuking decade ago, all pundits & spectators have had that entire length of time to get used to these new formations & tactics. 

I'm not an expert, but I can spot fairly basic stuff, it surely can't be too much to ask of lads that played the game at the highest level only recently, most of them with multiple AI medals, and some of them no doubt subject to tactical instructions from their managers back when they played, to be able to at least see what's happening, because you have to be able to see it in the first place to be able to explain it, and I think the majority can't even manage that. 

So instead, you just get basically a load of noise (our own Ken McGrath being one of the loudest) about 15 V 15, tradition etc etc, telling us fcuk all. And all this does influence the casual watcher incorrectly, have a look at this from the 1st league game. Healy from on here, who might well be the world's most negative man, but he does know his stuff & is a genuine fan as far as I can tell, posted this. I saw it differently and asked him a question he didn't reply to, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he wasn't at that game & watched on TV and listened to this narrative coming out of the pundits. 

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Good win for Waterford today but we reverted back to the sweeper tactics in the second half which almost cost us the game. We face a tough challenge at home to Tipperary next weekend who had a huge win over Dublin

Going to make a point on this one, if, as you claim, we reverted to sweeper tactics in the 2nd half, answer me this, who was playing CB ?? What I saw, and correct me if I'm wrong, was KK withdrawing their CF further out the field toward an already congested midfield area, probably in an effort to boost numbers and contest more ball. They also dropped back a player to cover P Walsh at fullback, despite them famously 'not doing tactics'. 

All this had the effect of leaving our CB, De Burca, who simply didn't follow his man out the field & held his space instead, in an absolute acre of space with nobody near him. As he is an excellent reader of the game, he picked up on all kinds of loose ball and cleared or passed away. But it only looked like he was playing sweeper because of the space KK withdrew from, the only player directly behind him, and a long way behind him, was fullback Barry Coughlan, and he had only the midfielders Moran & Barron, and usually one of the half forwards dropping back the way (which all teams do these days) ahead of him, so I didn't see any use of a sweeper system there at all. 

He did pop up on both wing back positions on occasion as cover for them, but you could argue that he only had the freedom to do that as KK hadn't actually got a man on him at that point. I'd be interested to see anyone else's reading of it (you would have had to be at game though, none of this is obvious from last nights highlights show), but it seems to me people are just pointing out ''sweeper system'' on each & every occasion without looking at what the opposition are doing. 

If indeed we did play one, I just want to know who played at CB in the 2nd half, he was either so good or so bad he escaped my notice entirely, I didn't see anyone other than TDB in the CB position. 

By the way, for what tis worth, this is the tactic we tried V Cork on Sunday, and it didn't work. Lehane was nominally Cork CF, TDB our CB. For Cork puckouts, Lehane wandered off closer to his own goal, and TDB didn't follow him (this likely an instruction not to go X amount of metres too far in front of the FB line, for fear of leaving a large gap behind for Cork 1/2 forwards to run in to).  Thing is, nobody else picked up Lehane either. In that KK game, the ball from the KK FB/1/2 back line wasn't good, often sailed over the heads of the KK  withdrawn 1/2 forwards & TDB picked up most of them with nobody near him- hence it looked like a sweeper system. 

What Cork did so well, and differently to KK that day was pick out Lehane accurately, nearly on his own HB line or midfield (close enough to, or being inside his own half anyway) and Lehane then hit diagonal long balls into the corners for his 2 forwards Harnedy & Horgan to chase or win. This dragged our defenders out of position, also exposed their lack of pace, and also left a gap in the centre for Corks 1/2 forwards to run in to. Simple enough stuff, and not overly difficult to negate, though we couldn't manage it. Would have a rough idea how to go about it, in theory anyway, but I doubt yer going to hear too much from the usual suspects other than calling for 15 V 15 & such. Tis rubbish. 

Edited by deise316 - 21 Jun 2017 at 1:12am
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 10:53pm
Great win for the Laois hurlers today, missing 5/6 regulars and were down to 14 men before the 20 minute mark!

All in all I would say the restructured Leinster Championship group stage round robin/Christy Ring has been a massive success.

Laois/Westmeath/Carlow all showing signs of improvement with the extra games.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 11:19pm
Not sure that is a full picture though, Laois have certainly gone backwards, losing to Kerry in the league and only beating them by a single point in the playoff after extra time. 2 years ago, they beat Offaly in the championship, but that probably has as much to do with Offaly regressing at a rapid rate in the last few years as anything positive Laois were doing. In 2013, not that long ago, they had a respectable 7 point defeat to Galway in Leinster, tis very hard to see that happening any time soon. 

Westmeath have improved alright, and are reasonably competitive at U21, beating KK last year and running them close for most of the game this time around. Had a good year last year in the league nad a bit unlucky V Offaly in the championship this time around, overall tis enough to be encouraged by if yer a Westmeath fan, but still, their involvement in the championship will be over next week unless they draw Carlow, in which case, it will be over the week after regardless of result. Its a slow slog to be competitive and will take years rather than months or individual games. 

Carlow, probably early to tell, had a good year under Bonnar coming off a low base, but in the past 2-3 years, I think the gap between the top 9 and those below it (Offaly, Laois, Westmeath, Kerry, Carlow, Antrim etc) is getting bigger, even if the various gaps between teams of that ranking is reducing. 

max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 3:38pm
All-Ireland Hurling Qualifiers - Dublin V Laois; Offaly V Waterford, Kilkenny V Limerick, Tipperary V Westmeath
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by max max wrote:

All-Ireland Hurling Qualifiers - Dublin V Laois; Offaly V Waterford, Kilkenny V Limerick, Tipperary V Westmeath

Not too much excitement but guaranteed two crackers in the second round. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by max max wrote:

Kilkenny v Limerick could be a decent match. Limerick are a little unpredictable, I suppose KK are as well at the moment. Home advantage to see KK through.

Dublin v Laois - another one that could be tight. Laois by a handful

Think Waterford should be too strong for Offaly and Tipp v Westmeath....Similar scoreline to the football I'd think.
@AntrimMan85
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 4:06pm
Poor aul Westmeath in line for another hiding by the looks of it.

As said above though draw pretty much guarantees two decent second round ties.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 9:09pm
big weekend coming up in the hurling championship 4 qualifers and the leinster final 

Dublin vs Laois- Laois seem to be missing a few players through injury but will give it a right go against a Dublin team who seemed to be lacking something the last time they played. I think Dublin will shade it

Offaly vs Waterford- A lot of people in Waterford are saying this is going to be a walkover but i think differently and think a shock may be on the cards. Offaly have a strong Waterford presence in there background team (Kevin Ryan and Paul Flynn) and could employ tactics that will trouble waterford also they have 2 brillent forwards in Dooley and Bergin. Ive heard training is going very well in Waterford after the cork defeat but Stephen Bennett will be a big loss and confidence seems to be on a bit of low after the cork defeat. Waterford should not take this game lightly. Im going for a shock Offaly win and eruptions in Waterford after it

Tipperary vs Westmeath- A mis match and Tipp will walk it id say. hopefully its not an embarrasment for Westmeath

Kilkenny vs Limerick- No doubt the pick of the round. Both teams will want to recover from there semi final defeats. Home advantage is huge for this fixture and might shade it for Kilkenny. Limerick have some very good players but have not performed this year so far. Im going with a close game and Kilkenny too shade it

Round 2 draw is next monday morning (3rd July) and the 2 games will be played On Sat 8th July in neutral venues (possible double header somewhere depending on draw)

Leinster final Galway vs Wexford (sun 2nd july)- They have gone mad down in Wexford since beating Kilkenny (and who can blame them) and are very much looking forward too the Leinster final against Galway. Wexford who beat Galway in the league earlier this year are playing good hurling under Davy Fitz and have surpassed expectations so far this year and may even surpass them more if they pick up silverware sunday. Galway who have been very impressive so far this year scoring for fun are out to make a statement and plan on going all the way this year. Im going for a Wexford win and the place will go mental
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 10:15pm
Another one of these weird GAA things, why does this round have home/away advantage, but the next round is at neutral venues ? Makes little sense, and if anything, the lower ranked team (say, using finishing league positions) should have got the home draw in any case just to try even it up a little bit. 

Draw (couldn't have gone any better for the GAA if they'd fixed it....) was made for 2 DH's this time around too, Offaly/WD & KK/LK could have been in Thurles, with Dub/Laois & Tipp/WM in Tullamore. 

Offaly vs Waterford- A lot of people in Waterford are saying this is going to be a walkover but i think differently and think a shock may be on the cards. Offaly have a strong Waterford presence in there background team (Kevin Ryan and Paul Flynn) and could employ tactics that will trouble waterford also they have 2 brillent forwards in Dooley and Bergin. Ive heard training is going very well in Waterford after the cork defeat but Stephen Bennett will be a big loss and confidence seems to be on a bit of low after the cork defeat. Waterford should not take this game lightly. Im going for a shock Offaly win and eruptions in Waterford after it

Ah give it a fcukin rest chief, we are 1/50. If you really believe Offaly will beat us, throw up the betting slip there, you stand to make a fortune. Stephen Bennett is not a big loss as every one of the forwards we have on the bench, never mind the ones on the pitch, would be on that Offaly team. Yes, Shane Dooley is an excellent player, one of the best in the country, but the other 14 they have simply aren't.

There is caution, and having misgivings, but predicting every single game we play as a loss is nearly into trolling territory. Our own ineptness contributed to the Cork defeat as much as Cork were good, so we would have to be even more inept and Offaly raise themselves to a level we haven't seen them playing in a decade for them to win. How likely are both things to happen, even if one of them did ??

Only one that looks a contest is KK/LK, which would be a bit more of a contest if it was in Limerick. Only thing is, LK will probably near match them for physicality, and this current KK team doesn't appear to have a whole lot going for them other than that factor.  With a misfiring Hogan & Reid, the superior skill they would normally have over Limerick (or other teams) is greatly reduced. If LK can stay in touch early on & be within a score at HT, KK could be there for the taking, but LK will have to come prepared for an absolute fight for everything in the first 20 mins, if KK get the start they want (a few early goals) and it will be over by HT. 

mike74 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 10:43pm
Offaly to beat Waterford??   not a hope in hell.. Offaly were abysmal against Galway and can't see them being anywhere near competitive against Waterford.. Dubs and Tipp comfortably too..

Only game that won't be one sided is KK V Limerick.. although I expect KK win it by at least 3 or 4 point's anyway..

Galway to shade Leinster final..
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 1:16pm

big weekend coming up in the hurling championship 4 qualifers and the leinster final 

Dublin vs Laois- Laois seem to be missing a few players through injury but will give it a right go against a Dublin team who seemed to be lacking something the last time they played. I think Dublin will shade it

Tipperary vs Westmeath- A mis match and Tipp will walk it id say. hopefully its not an embarrasment for Westmeath

Kilkenny vs Limerick- No doubt the pick of the round. Both teams will want to recover from there semi final defeats. Home advantage is huge for this fixture and might shade it for Kilkenny. Limerick have some very good players but have not performed this year so far. Im going with a close game and Kilkenny too shade it

Round 2 draw is next monday morning (3rd July) and the 2 games will be played On Sat 8th July in neutral venues (possible double header somewhere depending on draw)

Leinster final Galway vs Wexford (sun 2nd july)- They have gone mad down in Wexford since beating Kilkenny (and who can blame them) and are very much looking forward too the Leinster final against Galway. Wexford who beat Galway in the league earlier this year are playing good hurling under Davy Fitz and have surpassed expectations so far this year and may even surpass them more if they pick up silverware sunday. Galway who have been very impressive so far this year scoring for fun are out to make a statement and plan on going all the way this year. Im going for a Wexford win and the place will go mental
Two things Offaly won't be beating Waterford are you mad! Also Galway in the wide open spaces of Croke Park will Account for Wexford easily enough!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 27 Jun 2017 at 1:17pm
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:36pm
Tipperary refuse to change venue to Mullingar for the game, of course they were under no obligation to do so!
http://hoganstand.com/Westmeath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=272273
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:02am
It was great for Laois to get the win over Carlow last Sunday however unlike some on here I won't be tipping them to get anything from the game against Dublin on Saturday evening unless half the Dublin team refuse to play.

Of our starting forwards from the start of the year Laois will be without Cha Dwyer and Picky Maher who starred for Carlow IT this year, Ross King (captain and scorer in chief), Willie Dunphy, Paddy Whelan, John Lennon and Ben Conroy (intermediate player of the year).

No county could take such a hit and for Laois with such a small pick it is a disaster.

What it has meant is that bar 1 or 2 fella's the team is under 21. Good for the future maybe if they stick together but no use if they get beaten off the field on Saturday.

The game against Carlow was scrappy and had Carlow not been as profligate in front of the posts they would have got the win. We got goals at the right time and in fairness to LAois this year they have shown great character and honesty of endevour in every game. To be a point down in the second minute of injury time and still win by a point shows this. A man down from the 13th minute but battled for every ball.

What we badly need in Laois is a couple of underage teams to contest or win Leinster finals in the coming years. We have also badly struggled at the u21 grade when we had teams capable of much better. Of the young lads at the moment 3 or 4 make very good seniors however we need more of that standard to bolster the bench and be competitive. It's a cliche these days but the game is all about the match day squad and having subs who can make an impact when they come on. Making the numbers up doesn't cut it anymore.

Anyhow back to Saturday evening and Laois will battle to the end but unfortunately it will be the end of their championship for another year. Hoping for better in 2018!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 40>
  Share Topic