You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 40>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

Sensational match tonight by all accounts, real shame that it could only be viewed on sky sports.

Or in any pub, on multiple streams or on any android device on mobdro
Get over it...

Edited by mike74 - 10 Jun 2017 at 11:11pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 12:31am
Fair play to Wexford, this is the most open Hurling Championship in years imo!

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 3:32pm
first of all congrats to Warwickshire, Derry and Carlow for the winning the Lory Meagher, Nicky Rackard and Chrisy Ring cups respectivly yesterday. Derry will now face Roscommon for promotion to the Christy Ring Cup for 2018 and Carlow will face Laois in the prelimary round of the All Ireland Senior Qualifers for a place in Round 1

I always knew Wexford and Davy would be a match made in heaven and yesterday proved that beating Kilkenny and making there first Leinster Senior Final since 2004 and the min of an All Ireland Quarter final. I can see Wexford giving it everything in the final and could win it. Expect Galway too win the other leinster semi final next Sunday. Kilkenny are not the kilkenny of old but nobody from the munster side of the draw will want to face them on the 1st July 

not 100% but i think the Qualifers will look like this and i think the draw will be next monday morning the 19th June 

Munster Pot
Tipp
Limerick
Cork or Waterford
Westmeath/Laois or Carlow (draw to be done before too detemine which team goes in the munster side)

Leinster Pot
Dublin
Kilkenny
Offaly or Galway
Westmeath/Laois or Carlow

teams will be paired off to make 4 games and first team gets the home draw all to be played on Sat 1st July. No repeat pairings can occur (Offaly vs Westmeath, Westmeath vs Laois)

the 4 round 1 winners will progress to Round 2 to be played Sat 8th July and that will be an open draw unless a repeat pairing occurs. Winners progress to the All Ireland Qfs to play the losing Munster and Leinster finalists (Sun July 23rd)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 1:03am
@Healy, it was 2004 since Wexford last won Leinster.

They were in 3 or 4 since then but it's been a fair few years! 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 4:50pm
Great performance by Wexford, and Lee Chin in particular. Their mentality impressed me more than their hurling to be honest, didn't panic when KK got a goal more or less from throw in, and then when KK got 2 quick goals in succession in the 2nd half, they went and pulled away again. 

I think Galway are a better team than them, but Galway won't learn a lot next week, Wex have the advantage of coming through a very tough game, and any team would get a confidence/pychological boost after beating KK in the manner they did.  I think Galway will be wary enough of them, if they have one of their off days that happen Galway reasonably regularly, Wexford could take them. 

As regards AI, who knows, it will be a bit clearer next Monday after the draw, but it already is the toughest looking back door ever with the 2 AI finalists of last year to be joined by one of WD or Cork. It would have to be a fairly lucky draw for KK & Tipp to avoid each other in all of qualifying R1, R2, the QF's & the SF's, it is nearly certain odds wise that we will have at least 1 different AI finalist from the last few years. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 11:19pm
Went looking for some criticism of Wexford using a sweeper system, can't find any anywhere. Funny that. 
All the commentators/analysts were very vocal in their condemnation of it after the Cork/Tipp game (even though that was not a straight 15V15 either, which was ignored for the sake of the new narrative) so is it back in fashion again now or what, 2 weeks later ?? Anyone know ?? 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 11:36pm
Fair play to Wexford Saturday night, Kilkenny were completely out thought tactically and out fought all over the park imo.

It was very un-Kilkenny like that they liked any real flow to their game for sustained periods bar the two quick fire goals.

It seemed as if they were running on empty, which isn't something we've seen too often with Kilkenny teams!

Just looking at the odds for the All-Ireland and they're a massive 8/1 Shocked Say what you want about their performance the other evening a brave man would lay them at those odds.

I really fancy Clare this year, the pace in their forward line is outrageous and they're still a reasonably young side overall. Really hope Tipp get a favourable draw in the qualifiers, I think it's just the tonic needed to reignite their season.  

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Went looking for some criticism of Wexford using a sweeper system, can't find any anywhere. Funny that. 
All the commentators/analysts were very vocal in their condemnation of it after the Cork/Tipp game (even though that was not a straight 15V15 either, which was ignored for the sake of the new narrative) so is it back in fashion again now or what, 2 weeks later ?? Anyone know ?? 

Found it strange myself because say what you want about Cork, they would have been seen like Wexford were against Kilkenny when playing Tipperary and recent history/betting odds suggested the same.

If Wexford can concede 3 goals using the sweeper system in the tight confines of Wexford Park I could really see some trouble ahead in Croke Park for them more than likely against Galway's forwards.

There was awful panic when Kilkenny went direct from long. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 12:04am
I'd agree to a point GD, and what I mean is that while what you said is correct, it obviously worked for them straight off, where Wexford's sweeper was a small bit out of position, they only got occasional joy from it afterwards. Yes, they did get the more goals from it, but I think better drilled defences, like Galway's appears to be, and Tipp's was last year, if not so far this year, will find it easier to deal with. Tis effective when it works, but very limited.  

The below is what I wrote after the 1st league game where we beat KK by a point, and it would seem, all these months later, that they haven't really come up with much else. In the past, they didn't have to, some individual brilliance of Hogan or Reid would swing it for them instead, but both are off form this year, Hogan especially, and unless they click into gear, I'm not sure what's going to change. 

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

KK were well off form today, they didn't do a whole lot of hurling, more straight balls down the middle for the entire game, then contested by 4 or 6 lads, I dunno is this a new tactic from them or if it was simply a bad day, but you would have expected a bit more in terms of running & creating options from them. 

For what it's worth, and I'm not on betfair, I would lay them all day. yes, they have been written off before, and incorrectly, but the one feature of the Cody era is they have very seldom had long seasons, they are looking at 4 games, and likely every one of them tough ones, to even get to the final. This isn't the all conquering team of 10 years ago, far from it, if your sub keeper is coming on outfield, it isn't a great sign of squad depth, neither is pinning your hopes on a 32 yr old Michael Fennelly, excellent player that he is, but nursing various injuries for the past 3 or 4 years, to rescue it. 

I think Mick Ryan in Tipp has far less to fix than Cody does, he is more dealing with a mental than physical issue, I don't think that KK squad can win 5 tough games in a row to win the AI, Tipp at least last year, proved they could. 

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 8:56pm
http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/theres-a-realisation-that-were-not-as-good-as-we-think-we-are-35819615.html

Not very positive from Derek McGrath on Waterfords chances. We really need too win this game against Cork cause we don't want to join the dogfight which are the qualifiers. This is a much better Cork team than the one we faced in 2015
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:20am
Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves.

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:25am
By the way, that interview is a GAA classic of the ''talking yer own team down'' genre, I actually laughed reading it. I suspect Lehane being ''injured'' ''50/50'' is also a revival of another GAA classic theme of the ''rumoured injury to star player before big game'' genre, and I fully expect he won't be named on the Cork team, but will start anyway. 

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 10:35pm
The Christy Ring final then. 4th meeting of Antrim and Carlow this year. Antrim won 2 and drew 1 of the previous.

So obviously, the Antrim thing to do would be turn up in the final and get a hiding.

Might not be the worst thing. We could take a real hammering at LMC level this year. A year back next spring playing 1B and we'll see what we're actually made of.

Looking forward to Cork v Waterford. See how Cork and Lehanne cope with that Waterford half back line.

Shame it can't be the in Pairc.
@AntrimMan85
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:02pm
That was a dreadful performance by Waterford. Cork beat them all ends up. Waterford looked bulked up like a rugby team and that's how they played. Cork skipped along the top of the ground at lightning pace and they had no answer. 

Cork should have won by much more.

Cork are now in full blown mushrooms territory and they will be very hard to stop this year. Anybody who knows their history knows that. 

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:03pm
Offaly on the end of yet another hiding
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:28pm
Honestly thought Waterford would overpower Cork today despite Corks good start. Alot of hurling to be played but Cork and Wexford ate putting it up to the big boys this year. Couldn't call the last 4 right now.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

That was a dreadful performance by Waterford. Cork beat them all ends up. Waterford looked bulked up like a rugby team and that's how they played. Cork skipped along the top of the ground at lightning pace and they had no answer. 

Cork should have won by much more.

Cork are now in full blown mushrooms territory and they will be very hard to stop this year. Anybody who knows their history knows that. 

Wouldn't disagree with any of that. Cork were by far the better team and might have been out of sight by HT only for SOK on goal making a few brilliant saves. 2nd to every ball on the ground & cleaned out of it aerially by a team who are supposedly not that good in the air, much like the Munster final last year, they looked flat footed & lacking any kind of touch right from the off. 

Tried 3 or 4 lads on Mark Coleman, he got the better of all of them and yet we still persisted in pucking ball after ball down his side, then left him completely free for the majority of the time to pick up Nash's excellent & accurate efforts coming the other way. He well deserved MOTM, but our own strategy, or lack of same, aided that selection process. 

Cork, by contrast, kept the ball well away from Aus Gleeson, who was ineffectual today bar one great point, but Cork simply didn't allow him any chance of influencing the game regardless. That's just one obvious example of a simple thing Cork got right & we got wrong, among many other examples. 

Not sure where to from here, McGrath was quite critical of the players in an interview on local radio, stating they didn't implement his game plan (whatever that was, because I have no idea) so off we go to the qualifiers with what seems like 2 choices  -go with 6 at the back & see Connors, Coughlan & Fives being taken for big scores (all 3 were eaten alive by Harnedy, Horgan & Lehane today) and hope that we can outscore the opposition at the other end, which I have to say is unlikely to either be tried or to happen, or revert back to some class of sweeper system that we all kind of know will only get so far, but will almost certainly come up short in the end. 

Sid pointed out the pace of Cork as a factor, and he is dead right, it was noticeable to me that subs Tommy Ryan & Brian O'Halloran (slightly built speedy lads) looked far more dangerous than the lads they replaced, though it has to be taken into account they were playing on tired defenders at that point. These are certainly changes that should be considered, if we can't win aerial ball, Cork's running type game wouldn't be the worst to copy, we would have the players to at least give it a go. 

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 11:55am
Very dissapointing from a Waterford team who are looking at winning an AI. Qualifiers are a bit of a minefield and there will be some cracking encounters when the draw is made.

WHo is best placed of Waterford, KK and Tipp now as the can't all come back and do damage later in the summer.

Maybe Loughnanes words about Waterford having missed their chance last year might stir them to do something because no more Brick ater this year.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 40>
  Share Topic