You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Football Championship 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 230231232
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 12:10pm
holy god sid, you know you sh*t, are you a qualified ref?
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 12:10pm

Sid - When did barging stop being a foul in GAA ? There several incidents where players barged through opponents that went unpenalised and where a foul was actually given it was in the bargers favour.

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Sid - When did barging stop being a foul in GAA ? There several incidents where players barged through opponents that went unpenalised and where a foul was actually given it was in the bargers favour.

Charging is the trade term. 

There's a fundamental contradiction in the rules, or certainly a grey area, for me. To attempt to charge through a player is a foul, which you sometimes see a player penalised for. For me though in most instances of charging, the player who is charging is also being fouled. You usually see two or three players put the open arm round the neck of the player in possession and physically hold them up, or if you prefer, obstruct them, with no attempt to play the ball at all. Generally it's eulogised in the media as great intensity and physicality. You see it in hurling a lot - the tackle with the free hand around the neck, and it is rarely blown up. 

A common definition I have seen of the tackle is: “Any attempt to dispossess or reduce the advantage of opponent within the Rules of Fair Play. With the exception of the charge (fair), the tackle is aimed at the ball not the player.” 

I don't know exactly where that comes from by the way as I can't find it in the actual GAA rules but I've seen it quoted in multiple places.

As far as I can see, under the rules, the only way you can tackle somebody without specifically going for the ball is the shoulder to shoulder charge. 

"Standing your ground" is another great term which as far as I know is not in the GAA rules. What is the definition of standing your ground? Does it involve a player wrapping their arm around a player's neck?

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

holy god sid, you know you sh*t, are you a qualified ref?
NO!!!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 12:50pm

Thanks Sid for clearing that up............one more thing - the fella charging often runs at his opponents outstrectched to get a free. Why dont ref's see this ?

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

jaysis waddel , that is some analysis , can i post it on another site ? will credit you of course .
I'd be delighted for somebody to bring my work to the Mayo GAA blog by the way, Roger. 

Great site.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

jaysis waddel , that is some analysis , can i post it on another site ? will credit you of course .
I'd be delighted for somebody to bring my work to the Mayo GAA blog by the way, Roger. 

Great site.

waddell if you want to do something up about mayo i will be happy to mail it for you to the owner of the site, or you can mail him and i will tell him you are sending something.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 8:42am
Ladies final on Sunday lads. Change at full forward for Monaghan. Eileen mc Kenna is in now. She is 28/1 for first goal scorer. I know f**k all about her but it has to be value as anyone who watches ladies football knows the standard of goalkeeping. 28/1 at the minute but I'm sure they will shorten it when they realise
Dukla View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 10:44pm

Edited by Dukla - 29 Sep 2013 at 10:45pm
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:40am
Anyone know when international rules squad is announced?
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 9:25pm
See Dublin released details of their new sponsor today. They have signed a 5 year deal with AIG believed to be around the 2 million mark. They have included all teams in this both men's and women's over both codes
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Dukla View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 6:31pm
RTE 2 Now

Edited by Dukla - 29 Dec 2013 at 6:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 230231232
  Share Topic